Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

Wanting to get started in netminding

So if you've seen my post in General, or not, I want to play goalie. Short version of the story, I've never played ice hockey, although I have played roller hockey for the better part of 10 years.

A significant hurdle is equipment. I live in Iowa. There is no local hockey shop. The pro-shop that was at the rink where I will be playing hasn't existed for years (or so I found out today). So, I have very little idea what I need for equipment and even less idea as far as sizing, style, etc. Unfortunately I recently moved back to the area post-college and I don't really know anyone in the area, and certainly don't know any hockey players.

I've been looking at goalie combos/packages from places like Goalie Monkey, and while I've looked at the sizing chart to get an idea of what I need for leg pads, it seems kind of wonky to measure up and hope for the best.

I turn to you for advice!

Starting from scratch, what do I need to purchase? How do I figure out sizing? Any tips on cost effective setups? (I'm not sure on a budget yet, I'd say somewhere between 1000-1500) I would like to go a cheap route, but I also don't want to get frustrated because the equipment isn't comfortable, durable, or fit well.

I didn't see your other post, so I hope I don't repeat too much.

If I were you, I would find out when some of the leagues play, and go there on a day when there will be a few games going on. Talk to the rink manager and other employees, maybe some players if you feel up to it. Odds are there is someone who acts as a kind of "gatekeeper" (appropriate) of the local hockey scene, maybe even one that is a goalie (this has been my experience in most places). They might be able to help you track down some affordable used gear and help you with sizing. When I first moved to where I am currently living, this is what I did and it paid off - I found someone able to put me in touch with a team that needed a goalie, as well as another goalie who wanted to buy my old pads. Don't be afraid to do ask around - odds are there is a need for goalies, and as a group we are usually pretty helpful towards newer players.

Internet ordering CAN be a pain, but sometimes it is a necessity. Personally, I would say you are better off hitting up eBay and goaliestore.com (which also happens to be the largest source of goaltending information online, though it has gotten hard to find what you are looking for anymore, definitely take advantage of it and the reviews on this site when you are seeking more information on a specific item) and finding higher level equipment that has been used. It will play better longer, and retain its value better in comparison to budget or "senior" level gear you will find on the online retailers.

In terms of sizing, you are going to need a few things...

1) Skate size. This is TYPICALLY anywhere from 1-2 sizes SMALLER than your shoe size. I say typically because this is not always the case, but rather a rough guideline that anymore is touted by online retailers to get around that pesky concept of being able to try on something before you buy. The other problem is in variations of fit between different skates and different brands of shoes. I would advise against ordering new skates your first time out, but rather try and find something for around 50-100 dollars that is within that general sizing guide. If the owner isn't local, you could even ask what sneaker they wear and in what size to get a better idea. Make sure the skates aren't TOO ratty (they should have some life left on the steel, shouldn't have torn eyelet areas,etc).

2) Chest and arm sizing. Different brands base their guides on different measurements - RBK uses chest measurements, Vaughn uses height, and so on. Brand specific sizing charts just take a little searching to find. A decent C/A will have laced-in arms that can be adjusted.

3) Pad sizing. A very simplistic measurement sometimes used is your overall height. A better measurement is your Ankle to Knee, which measures the distance between mid-ankle and mid-knee. Some brands use slight variations, but again charts can be found. Different pads can have different measurement standards - A 34" Vaughn Velocity isn't necessarily the same fit as a 34" RBK Premier. The key is to find a pad where your knee hits close to the center of the knee lock area with skates on. My ankle to knee is 16.75". I've worn 33" Millers and Itechs, 34" Boddams, and now a custom Battram that is probably around 34.5" if I had to take a stab at a guess. All of these fit me well. The "+" sizing does not effect the fit, but adds height in the thigh area.

4) Pants. Pretty easy, they usually go by waste size.

5) Mask. This should have been first, as it is the most important thing to have with a proper fit. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE MASK. You will see some "deals" on different retail sites with offers of a free mask with the purchase of a pad combo. Think about what kind of protection that will give you. Avoid masks that use "lexan" in their construction (Itech/Bauer profile series comes to mind). A used mask isn't always a bad option, but on something so important I would recommend buying new unless you are SURE of the quality and state of the mask. Sportmask, Eddy, Hackva, and ProMasque are popular companies that produce a quality mask that won't cost you big bucks. Of your 1000-1500 budget, plan on spending at least $250-400 on a quality "entry level" mask - the more protection the better. Fit is paramount, so consult the charts of the various manufacturers and have someone help you take precise measurements. It would be best if you could try some options on in person, of course, but this doesn't sound viable for you.

6) Stick. This has a lot to do with your height and stance. Heights vary company to company (Sherwood and RBK have similar sizing, Vaughn and Bauers run smaller). Stick with a decent wood/foam core stick to start, Sherwood 5030s are always a safe bet. A 6' goalie might use a 25" paddle if they have a very low stance, or a 27" if they stand a bit taller in their crouch. The best thing to do might be to save this for last, and see if you can find a friendly local goalie who has an old one laying around you can try to get an idea of how it works for you when you are on the ice.

There are lots of other accessories (goal jock, throat protector, inner knee guards or thigh guards), but they are usually a bit easier to figure out size wise.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I just started 5 months ago, never set foot on the ice. I decided after watching a ton of league games I wanted to goal tend.

I did alot of research on gear and sizing. I bought skates and cup at the local pro shop and ebayed everything else all of it used pro level gear for cheap. I was suprised on the deals on ebay and all my items were ebay guaranteed so there was little risk.

I was very happy with everything I got and now that I have a better idea of what i want, i upgraded my leg pads. Everything else works great. My first set of gear totaled 800$ with shipping and all of it was used pro level gear.

The hardest part is the leg pads, what style, what size. My advice just starting out is buy some cheap ones that will get you started and it will help alot in finding what you want out of leg pads. Then spend some dough on what you want.

I just bought Bauer rx10's on ebay for 660$ for half of what goaliemonkey was asking, (Brand NEW with tags). No defects

Good luck man

So, more on sizing.

I wear a size 11.5 shoe. So I should be looking for skates in the size 10 to 10.5 range?

On to leg pads, I measured my instep to knee at 18 inches. So with size 10 skate, 18 inch leg measurement, and 7 inches on the thigh, I should be looking for a size 35 leg pad? I'm 6'1" if that helps at all.

You're probably pretty close on the skate, but remember that different manufacturers are going to have skates that fit differently.

This will hold true for your leg pads, also. Reebok and Vaughn have different recommendations on the method of measuring your ankle-to-knee, even.

Unfortunately there isn't a magic formula that works for everything here... It'd make goalie life a lot easier. You're probably going to have to go through a bit of trial-and-error.

You said that you don't have a LHS that carries goalie equipment nearby. If you're going to go the internet route (buying new things) I'd recommend going through icewarehouse. They have a very liberal return policy (something is liable to not fit perfectly,) and they do free shipping on orders over $200.00.

For reference sake.. I typically wear a size 11.5 or 12 sneaker, but my goalie skates are 9.5EE.

I'm also 6'1", and fit best in a 36" Bauer pad.

Two more questions:

What are goalies doing for neck protection? I don't see anyone in pictures or videos wearing the lexan shield thing that hangs from the mask, so what are they wearing?

Second:

Who wants to explain the differences between hybrid and butterfly style goalies? I'm looking at pads and trying to narrow down that I want to get, but I can't decide between hybrid or butterfly.

You probably won't see a lot of higher level goalies wearing danglers, but there are a few things to consider there - they are playing with guys who know how to aim the puck, and their reactions and puck tracking are going to be way better than yours or mine. Wear a dangler with a collar underneath. Many goalies swear by the collar and clav pad combo that Maltese Hockey makes. I've had mine for years and would buy another if my current one needed replacing.

As for your second question....there is enough reading material and discussion floating around the net to keep you occupied for days (only problem is a lot of it is just hot air). In a nutshell, if you wanted to separate goalies into those two categories, your "butterfly" goalie would be the one who uses a butterfly save/movement more often than not - most of their saves are made in the butterfly position regardless of what part of their body they are actually using to stop the puck.

To understand what a "hybrid" is usually considered to be, you have to understand what used to be seen as the opposite of the butterfly goalie - the stand up. A stand up goalie is one who makes most of his saves on his feet or employing the classic kicksave. Think of most of the goalies from "back in the day" to get a good idea. It is rarely referred to anymore it seems because people latched onto the term "hybrid" after they got tired of describing just about every pro goalie as a "butterfly goalie" (just my observation on that one).

The term "hybrid" usually referred to someone who fell in the middle of those two extremes. At this point it is almost interchangeable with the term "unorthodox" - Brodeur and Thomas are probably the two most recognizable right now.

In terms of how that relates to pads....using one versus another doesn't exclude you from a style of play. For a first set of pads I would recommend something with a bit softer of a flex as most find these generally easier to skate in (this usually means a "hybrid" pad).

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Maltese throat guard (www.maltesehockey.com). High impact gel protects you from skate cuts, pucks and sticks. Danglers are fine (I wear one too), but they don't protect from skates or sticks. I absolutely DO NOT step on the ice without my Maltese on. They are 1000% worth the money.

I took a slapper to the throat last year which shattered my dangler and impacted on my Maltese. I got up and skated away without injury, where I probably would have been in the hospital with out it.

So I put #1 emphasis on a high quality mask, #2 is definitely a Maltese. They have lots of customization options, and will literally save your neck before your hockey career comes to an end.

I just started 5 months ago, never set foot on the ice. I decided after watching a ton of league games I wanted to goal tend.

I did alot of research on gear and sizing. I bought skates and cup at the local pro shop and ebayed everything else all of it used pro level gear for cheap. I was suprised on the deals on ebay and all my items were ebay guaranteed so there was little risk.

I was very happy with everything I got and now that I have a better idea of what i want, i upgraded my leg pads. Everything else works great. My first set of gear totaled 800$ with shipping and all of it was used pro level gear.

The hardest part is the leg pads, what style, what size. My advice just starting out is buy some cheap ones that will get you started and it will help alot in finding what you want out of leg pads. Then spend some dough on what you want.

I just bought Bauer rx10's on ebay for 660$ for half of what goaliemonkey was asking, (Brand NEW with tags). No defects

Good luck man

that was my plan aswell, buy cheap used/Pro stock, get a feel for what YOU want out of your gear. upgrade, and 'give back' by selling your starting gear off.