Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farhanshak

2011-2012 Maple Leafs general discussion thread

Probably had to happen, but I think the real problem is that Burke sunk $12.25M into Komisarek, Armstrong and Connolly, none of whom have done anything on the ice nor appear likely to, and left Bozak to centre the top line. Maybe Carlyle can get something out of them. Komisarek worked for the Canadiens when he was paired with Markov, so maybe hooking him up with Gardiner could work, especially if he's being kept away from speedy lines by Carlyle's matchups, and I suppose Armstrong could be used along with Steckel on the kind of dedicated checking line that Carlyle likes, but he doesn't seem ideal for that. Connolly is a lost cause.

The PK had been better recently, but it's been so bad for so long I hardly noticed. Whatever Wilson was trying to get them to do, as the season went on, their play was less and less effective 5v5. They were either way too easy to control, or seemed to be trying things that never worked; at times not enough structure, at times way too much.

Grabovski needs to get re-signed: guy is a terrific #2 centre, even with Kulemin tanking this year. He's knocked for his size, but he's incredibly strong and very, very smart about shielding the puck. If Burke lets him go with Connolly still on the payroll...

It was good to see the coach talking to players last night and seemed to be pretty engaged....he'll have his hands full getting them ready for the last stretch let alone the next 3 games

Glad to see Wilson gone but only time will tell if he was the problem....

Grabovski reportedly re-signed for 5 years and $27.5M, $5.5M cap hit-- which is a good bit more than I thought he'd get as a defensively responsible 30/30 producer. At $3M per he was a good deal; at $4M he would have been reasonable; at $5.5, we're entering overpayment territory. I like the guy and I like his game, but that salary puts him in rather complimentary company.

The PK had been better recently, but it's been so bad for so long I hardly noticed. Whatever Wilson was trying to get them to do, as the season went on, their play was less and less effective 5v5. They were either way too easy to control, or seemed to be trying things that never worked; at times not enough structure, at times way too much.

^ THIS x1000. Every play they make, or try to make, is a cute little pass, toe drag, drop pass, perfect pass across the goal mouth, etc etc etc. And they NEVER work. It drives me nuts how often they try to get too cute...

Agree on Grabo... way too much $$. Good player, but 5.5 is a bit ridiculous.

I agree with your assessment of Connolly. Useless. I don't mind Komisarek, he seems to be less of a liability than some of the other D-men. Armstrong I like a lot, but he's injured too often to be of any real use. His brother on Twitter was even asking fans what Colbys new number should be if he changed it, since 9 is clearly not working out for him. Poor guy, he's effective when he's healthy. I can definitely see his play improving under Carlyle though.

It's killing me how much of a big deal the media is making out of the Lupul/Carlyle thing. Carlyle said he was wrong and it was a mistake to not put Lupul at LW, and that they did so because of the other assets they had, and the fact that Lupul was coming off some pretty hardcore injuries. He was wrong, he admitted it.. MOVE ON.

The Cherry/Burke thing is heating up though.... WOW.

Even if they zero out, I don't think they can catch the Oilers and NOBODY is going to catch Columbus; they'll probably end up last in the East, third last overall. That means the odds are very, very long that they get either of Yakupov or Grigorenko, and things drop off pretty dramatically after that. Maybe Burke can get special dispensation to draft Connor McDavid three years in advance...

The really funny thing in Ontario right now is that even if the Sens catch the Bruins, they'll still likely end up playing each other in the first round.

I didn't much care for the Vancouver green guys, but taunting the Leafs' player with a box of waffles was a pretty good moment.

I'm expecting a bonfire outside the ACC one of these days.

Not as bad as the Calgary fan throwing his jersey onto the ice during a stoppage.

Aww, I don't like that. Well, not in Calgary. They didn't have a monumental collapse... theyre an 8-10th place team, nobody should be surprised. In Toronto though... I'd throw my jersey on the ice too.

I didn't much care for the Vancouver green guys, but taunting the Leafs' player with a box of waffles was a pretty good moment.

I'm expecting a bonfire outside the ACC one of these days.

I think they're great, myself. For anyone who hasn't seen it:

I wish the waffle theme had come back this year.

Wanna bet there's a "fire Burke" chant at the ACC on Saturday night?

I don't see that happening. Burkes job is pretty safe. He's got a coach who is on the same page, he just has to figure out how to tailor the team for that style. I'm a fan of Burke/Carlyle's philosophy, and while he's made some pretty hefty false promises, you have to remember that this team was in 6th place prior to their epic collapse. I don't know what happened, but I don't think it's the GMs fault (nor Ron Wilsons fault) in this case. I don't think anyone really knows exactly what happened.

Usually fans chanting is not all that inspired or clever...but I gotta say "Let's Go Blue jays" was pretty good! In Montreal a few years back, a buddy of mine started chanting "Let's Go Raptors" as we walked by a group in Leaf jerseys...they even chuckled.

Usually fans chanting is not all that inspired or clever...but I gotta say "Let's Go Blue jays" was pretty good! In Montreal a few years back, a buddy of mine started chanting "Let's Go Raptors" as we walked by a group in Leaf jerseys...they even chuckled.

The best I've heard so far is the Winnipeg fans chanting "CROSBYS BETTER!" when Washington was in town.