Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dnoboy

Custom radius 35/65

Can anyone tell me more about this particular radius? How does this measurement compare to a combination radius like 8/11 etc...? Thanks

A 35/65 is not a combination radius, not even close. It's close to a 14' radius, not exact but close. CAG uses a flat, and a radius is curved. Close in performance but not the same. All the 35/65 means is of the 65mm total flat spot, 35mm is forward of center which give the runner a slight forward pitch. A 32.5/65 would be neutral, a 35/65 is barely forward.

Thanks for that explanation jimmy. Crazy so many NHLers are skating on so much steel, wonder if it really takes away from turning... If this is the preferred radius of high level players it's surprising there would be such a drastic difference at retail (9'-10')?

Thanks for that explanation jimmy. Crazy so many NHLers are skating on so much steel, wonder if it really takes away from turning... If this is the preferred radius of high level players it's surprising there would be such a drastic difference at retail (9'-10')?

A skater with perfect technique can skate very well with a longer radius, compared to an average skater. That is the difference, if you have good technique, you can use a longer radius to get more speed, but you will not lose turning abilty because theexperience and skill level can compensate for the loss.

If you call Ben at Cag One he will send you the updated list that Wally in Carolina is using on his players as well as others around the league that has the information on. I have it somewhere and yes most are 60 plus some as high as 80.

But that being said Wally always profiles a skate first to get it roughly where he wants also to adjust for pitch as that cant be done with the Cag. He then uses the cag to add the glide surface. He has his own whole little different system but sells the Cag one machine as his own system as well. Sorry forgot the name but the guy in the rink in Boston (where they hold one of the big tournies in the summer) has one all set up with the settings on it.

What a NHL'r uses has no bearing on what the typical North American skater uses. A pro's skating level is so much different. I've found that most do not like the longer flat spots, often complaining about too much blade on the ice. I would say the 30/40 or 30/45 are the ones liked most. On the other hand, the European skaters love the flatter blades.

Rubo, somewhat true, but a skate with 11' leaned 10 degrees by an average skater who'se poor on his edges is not going to turn as quick as a great skater who leans same skate 30 degrees. A longer radius need more lean to engage, so if one is not confident or experienced on their edges, they cannot get same agility as an expert can.

I play and train with semi professionals and was told by a fellow teammate to try it... Im a big (6' 4") North/South power forward and skating is not my strongest attribute. Im wondering if this isnt the best option for me.

That would be my assessment as well; I just simply can’t imagine a player having enough agility to turn on a dime with an 11 foot radius especially go gin from full sped and changing 180 degree direction. For me a 9 foot is too much. And if you look at figure skaters they use 7 and 8 foot. Regardless of your body symmetry and ability to control your edges, it’s a matter of physics, the same way as a 20 foot boat would not turn with the same radius as the a 5 foot boat no matter what the mast or the keel or the motor size is on the bigger boat. So when we say a talented guy can use 11 foot radius effectively, you give him a 9 foot and he becomes even more agile. As for balancing out the ratio between being fast and agile, I’m in favor of agility

Cheers.

Guy's I am a little confused here. Are you saying that you wouldnt recomend a longer profile for the beer league guy? Or are you speaking of higher level younger players as well?

I ask because I mainly work with my 2 teams now both girls teams and I dont have any players with anything smaller then 9. Most are 9-10 or 9.5-10.5. One is on 11.

Now that being said they are the top teams in there age groups. The older team is ranked #1 in Canada and last time I checked the younger one was #5.

So my question is there not NHL players and never will be but most will go NCAA so do I reduce the blade contact?

[

I believe the rink you're thinking of NESC http://www.nes.com/Default.asp 6 rinks just outside of Boston

Thats the place! Great guy in the Pro Shop...said he was the old Bruins guy........knew his stuff!

Too many moving parts for most beer league guys. Change one or the other but not both. Experimentation gets expensive when you're changing profiles

Too many moving parts for most beer league guys. Change one or the other but not both. Experimentation gets expensive when you're changing profiles

Unless of course if the proper profile is nailed the first time.

Unless of course if the proper profile is nailed the first time.

Agreed, but far too often it becomes a chase for some mythical shortcut that will suddenly make someone a better skater. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a 9' and 10' or 10' from 11' in the same boots.

ot28, I would work backwards, starting with an 8 foot and slowly going up with each player, basically if they can keep up with the rest of the teams as far as speed goes with a short radius, if they do then you keep that profile. Second thing I would look at is each player’s height in relation to their shoe size. For example Chris Pronger has a size 8 skate, for his body size it’s way to small, so to balance such a big body he might need a slightly longer radius compared to the same size player who’s skate size is 12.

If you have the time then look at body symmetry, those who have severe pronation or leg length discrepancy should not use anything over 9 foot, the potential of injury is much greater for these people since they can't react evenly on both sides of their body and need more agility.

Next thing I would look at what skates are they using, if it's softer boot like 11k I would maybe increase an 8 foot into 8.5 where as a skate like T1 has very little give so additional radius will create even more restriction in agility.

The last thing which everybody overlooks is hollow, obviously if you increase the radius you should decrease the hollow. If players are stubborn about changing profile, I would simply try to change their hollow. It’s better to skate on a ¾” freshly sharpened before each game then a dull 5/8’ If the team has enough free time during particles I would try to push as many players all the way to using 7/8” or even 1”

Cheers

While I very much understand what you are saying these are kids playing minor hockey and to reduce the profile to 8ft and then increase as needed doesnt make to much sense in the fact that the parents wouldnt want to play for extra blades. That being said I have had great success starting at the 9ft and increasing to 9-10 and higher.

I do understand however your thinking and logic. Just not cost effective.

That being said I dont have any of them wanting (even after asking the questions needed) to reduce the profile if anything most want A more stability. B more glide so yes less hollow. 3 on 3/4 and the rest on 5/8ths . on the one team. the other mainly 5/8ths and a couple 1/2. One goalie 90/75 and the others 5/8ths.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

How would you compare it and what is you're opinion of the 35/65, as apposed to lets say a 8'/13' Combo radius? Thanks in advance!

I also think that it's different for each player. It might just be possible that if the player is more comfortable on say a longer profile, that he may turn sharper than he did on a shorter profile that he was uncomfortable on.

OTG...at some point I have to hook up with you. Maybe in the spring or summer to set up some skates.

I work at a division 1 college and I start all of my players on 35/65 and work off of that. I know of a few other guys at major schools that do the same. I would think it would be worth it to try the 35/65.

Your profile is going to change over time the more you get your skates sharpened. I went from a 13' to a 9' in six months. There is a huge difference. 13' is easier the stay ballanced, great for weak skaters. 9' your can really turn which is great in traffic but harder to skate/stay balanced. The lower you go the more you have to work just to stay balanced but it is worth it. I now get my skates profiled to 11' i think 10' would be perfect but they dont have it. Only 9-11-13' etc.

I'd just ask what the skater wants. Most people don't know or care, but if you asked them what they wished they could do on the ice, that'd probably give you an idea.

I just went into my shop, said, "I'm fast enough, but not quite as agile as I'd like," and he changed my stock profile over to an 8.5/9.5. Works well for me. I'm thinking of going even more aggressive, eventually.