Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeamBlue96

Disappointment from roller hockey wheels...

Been playing for almost 15 years, i've skated on tons of setups from all kinds of companies. Lately, i've spent some bucks on two highly touted setups and have been really disappointed.

Height/weight -- 5'6" - 5'6" @ 155 lbs

Style of play -- competitive (AIHL/PIHA)

Times per week -- practice once a week plus games (2-3 per weekend) and mix in the occasional mens league game.

1. Skating on quite a few rink rat hornets (xxx grip in black and yellow) which i absolutely LOVED -- came time to get new setup so i stayed loyal to rink rat and purchased the rink-rat splits. First few skates were great, but the grip wasn't as good as the hornets. I figured, maybe i just need to break them in a litlte more. That never happend. If anything, they got worse with a few more skates and the disappointment led me to my next choice.

2. So i splurged on a set of Labeda Addictions (as everyone raved about them). At $13.99 per wheel, I expected unparallel grip and and speed. Again, great on the first few skates and they never wow'd me -- i did notice that they held grip better on tight turns and out of stops. The grip lasted a bit longer in comparison to the RR-splits. One weekend, i played a set of 3 games on Ice Court (tiny holes/aerated sport court type flooring vs. smooth sport court). The Addicitons were absolutey 'shredded' after that weekend. I played a set of 2 games the following weekend on regular sport court and there was no grip at all (felt like i was using an outdoor wheel for indoor).

So, the last two sets saw me spend the most i ever have on wheels, and i'm left feeling pretty stupid. Has anyone felt slighted (i know this can go in the disappointment thread, but i'm looking for alternatives) because they bought into the hype of what others were saying?

I'm on the verge of buying sub top of the line models of wheels (Labeda Millenium or even going to RR Hot shots) to see how they suit my style. I really wish i could find Hornet XXX's, but no one carries them anymore and if they do -- they're 72 MM or smaller!

/frustrated

I understand your pain, I am roughly the same size and skate about the same amount time per week. But I LOVE the Labeda Addictions(Red), they have been the best wheels for me personally I have ever used. I have skated on just about every wheel out there and almost every set-up possible...I think its just personal preference for sure. I know guys that would take Hyper Forumla G's or the Grippers over any wheel out there. Wheels are like anything else, many variables including(skating style/wheel rotation/wheel maintenance) and more all play big roles in the performance you get out of the wheels. You have obviously played alot of high level roller hockey and realize all this already.

I too had problems with my addictions on icecourt however. I play on sportcourt regualry, the icecourt shredded my addictions up and I never got the same grip/feeling I had before skating on it. Just my 2 cents.

Damn ice court -- i like how the puck moves on it, but it's carnage to wheels. It really looks like a hard cheese that has been grated down. I've since skated on ice court again, and swapped out older/worn down wheels. I was real surprised to find out that the crappier wheels gripped better on ice court! Hyper is one wheel company i've never used so i don't know much about them. None of my teammates use them, either.

InlineWarehouse has a pretty good deal on Labeda Milleniums, so i think i'm going to give them a shot. I'd rather get burned at $70 a clip than $120. They're pretty much what I used the most growing up before rinkrat hit the shelves.

When they replaced the floor here the first IceCourt was the wrong one and was the stuff that's rougher on wheels. One of my friends who isn't much bigger than you was actually using RR World Cups with some success. Medium hardness Grippers might be a good choice too, and cheaper to experiment with than Milleniums. I've overall had pretty good luck with Revisions wheels, and the Steel wheel was designed to take more abuse. It's going to be my next wheel, but more because I'm just north of 200 lbs.

Ice court isn't very popular around here in the tri-state area -- only one rink we travel to has it (Hotshots -- just outside of Pittsburgh). So i'm not going to buy wheels just for Ice Court. I'll just keep swapping out crappy old ones when i know i'm going there. I actually ended up going with Milleniums a few minutes ago. Compared myself to a few guys who stop like me (ice style) and they like the Milleniums. I guess we'll see how they fair this weekend.

Revision i never had success with. We got them for almost at cost when i played in college so i tried them out-- i like how they really tried to customize to your weight and playing style, but they just never provided the grip i'm looking for.

i find that labeda gripper and millenium are much better in terms of grip and durability than any other high end wheels :(

If you're stuck for Rink Rat hornets, try here in the Uk via this store called Puck Stop.

http://www.puckstop.com/acatalog/Rink_Rat_Hornet_Hockey_Wheels.html

I have used them for years and their service is brilliant. They do international delivery and will ensure you get your item quickly. I've bought stuff from USA tons of times and had zero issue with delivery so I am sure it will work the other way around. Most stores over here still stock these Rink Rats here, in all sizes.

You'd probably receive the wheels about 2 weeks after purchase max.

Can't recommend the store more, wish they were in Scotland rather than England lol.

Ice court isn't very popular around here in the tri-state area -- only one rink we travel to has it (Hotshots -- just outside of Pittsburgh). So i'm not going to buy wheels just for Ice Court. I'll just keep swapping out crappy old ones when i know i'm going there. I actually ended up going with Milleniums a few minutes ago. Compared myself to a few guys who stop like me (ice style) and they like the Milleniums. I guess we'll see how they fair this weekend.

Revision i never had success with. We got them for almost at cost when i played in college so i tried them out-- i like how they really tried to customize to your weight and playing style, but they just never provided the grip i'm looking for.

That festival destroyed my brand new addictions. I had to replace one in our game against you, and just threw on a completely new set yesterday. Outside of playing on the Ice Court at Hotshots and Dream Sports, I've had good consistency with my white/clear addictions on sport court. We have a couple guys that play similar to you as well and they all like Milleniums or Addictions. No one I know uses RR splits..I went through 8 of them, and each one pulled away from the hub. Interested to see how the Milleniums work for you.

Good luck the rest of the season and playoffs.

If you're stuck for Rink Rat hornets, try here in the Uk via this store called Puck Stop.

http://www.puckstop....key_Wheels.html

I have used them for years and their service is brilliant. They do international delivery and will ensure you get your item quickly. I've bought stuff from USA tons of times and had zero issue with delivery so I am sure it will work the other way around. Most stores over here still stock these Rink Rats here, in all sizes.

You'd probably receive the wheels about 2 weeks after purchase max.

Can't recommend the store more, wish they were in Scotland rather than England lol.

If i get that desperate for RR, i'll give them a try. I'm pretty confident in the grippers that i just bought.

Can't go wrong with yellow grippers.

yellow? I've never seen yellow ones before. Only orange, purple, or red over the years.

That festival destroyed my brand new addictions. I had to replace one in our game against you, and just threw on a completely new set yesterday. Outside of playing on the Ice Court at Hotshots and Dream Sports, I've had good consistency with my white/clear addictions on sport court. We have a couple guys that play similar to you as well and they all like Milleniums or Addictions. No one I know uses RR splits..I went through 8 of them, and each one pulled away from the hub. Interested to see how the Milleniums work for you.

Good luck the rest of the season and playoffs.

I ruined my Addictions there for PIHA -- swapped out crappy rink rats for the festival. What team were you? I guess Detroit? (you guys were the best team we played, IMO). I had RR split and chunk on me, too. I was really surprised as i'm not used to seeing lighter guys like me chunk wheels.

Good luck to you guys, too. You have a real good shot. We've been walking wounded all year so i'm not sure if we're going to get in :/

If i get that desperate for RR, i'll give them a try. I'm pretty confident in the grippers that i just bought.

yellow? I've never seen yellow ones before. Only orange, purple, or red over the years.

I ruined my Addictions there for PIHA -- swapped out crappy rink rats for the festival. What team were you? I guess Detroit? (you guys were the best team we played, IMO). I had RR split and chunk on me, too. I was really surprised as i'm not used to seeing lighter guys like me chunk wheels.

Good luck to you guys, too. You have a real good shot. We've been walking wounded all year so i'm not sure if we're going to get in :/

Thanks. You guys were the most enjoyable to play against and I think we matched up well. Both of our teams were down a couple key guys, it was a rough weekend for sure. Whats behind the Team Blue name? We wondered all weekend. I think you guys have a good shot as well, you just have to throw together a good streak.

Also..I will never buy splits again. Literally...they come off the hub like good rib meat comes off the bone. It's really weird.

Original grippers, not milleniums

http://www.inlinewar...page-LGCSW.html

Never seen them before, sweet.

Thanks. You guys were the most enjoyable to play against and I think we matched up well. Both of our teams were down a couple key guys, it was a rough weekend for sure. Whats behind the Team Blue name? We wondered all weekend. I think you guys have a good shot as well, you just have to throw together a good streak.

Also..I will never buy splits again. Literally...they come off the hub like good rib meat comes off the bone. It's really weird.

TBH, our captain, our goalie and myself started a mens league team together a few years ago. We were trying to think of a team name while standing next to a bulletin board with blue paper on it -- "Team Blue" for the hell of it. Mens league team won that summer. Then evolved into a silver winning narch winternationals team, so we just stuck with it. It's so stupid, but it keeps teams like you going 'WTF', haha.

Update on this -- I've gone through two sets of Labeda Milleniums since i created this thread and with much more satisfaction. The price point is great (at $7ish a wheel of less on sale) and they last longer than anything i've used. I will continue to buy and use them over any of the high end $13-$14 dollar wheels.

5'8" - 225 lbs.

Competetive Upper Leagues

I think there many factors that go into how well a wheel works for people. I used to chunk Labeda Milleniums and Rink Rat Hot Shots all of the time. I then tried the Rink Rat Hornets and those did not chunk out on me, but split really bad. Had some Red Star Snipers, Hyper Unity, Hyper Trinity, Labeda Fuzions, etc..... and they all seemed subpar. Finally the Labeda Addictions came out and the performance/durability was unmatched with anything I have ever used prior to that. The price of the wheels is staggering, but well worth it in my opinion. I have never had a wheel that gripped well, had good speed, and lasted for 8 months playing twice per week. Tried switching to Revision Steel wheels after the Addictions and was very disappointed. Since then have been skating on Addictions still. I am waiting on the new Revision Variant Plus wheels to come in, I will see how those work! :ph34r:

I love rink rat splits. They're my favorite wheel. I will probably skate on addictions next to see how they are. I get great performance from the splits, i just want to see if anything is more durable without sacrificing . I haven't found anything that combines those aspects better than the rink rats so far.

I think you will be happy with the softer addictions. I weight 150 and I use them on mission t9s, I used splits for along time on them and after switching to addictions the performance is on par or better and durability is much better. I always had a problem with the rink rat splits separating from the wheel hub. No such problem on the addictions.

Anyone ever figure out some good wheels for the Icecourt?

For me, it doesn't matter. Any older wheel i have in my collection is what i throw on and it works fine. Ice court is a much grippier surface compared to sport court. As mentioned above, there's no sense on using newer good wheels on ice court because the aerated tiles just eat your wheels like a cheese grater.

I remember playing on Ice Court at a tourney at University of Michigan. The one weekend of play completely torched my wheels and the blade of my stick. The surface was FAST though!

I have been using addictions for ~2 years now and I'm only on my 2nd set... I really like them, but honestly if you're not over 180 you probably don't need the extra support that the higher wheel hardness and inner disc provide. (from even the softer of the 2 varieties of addictions.) I am just about 200lbs and the softest addictions held up great for me for almost a year of playing 2-3 times per week. For my second set I sprung for the harder ones because at the time of purchase I was about 220, but after losing 20lbs, I can see that they are a bit more slippery. So I bought 4 of the softer ones and plan to use them as my front and rear wheel on each skate so we'll see where that goes.

IMHO, if you're below 180, just keep buying the Gripper Milenniums or maybe Dynasty 3's.

p.s. I have had terrible luck with revision and will never be purchasing their products again.

painteater19 please email me at nabeel@revisionhockey.com I'd like to here some specifics if you can about what did not work for you with our wheels. Let's see if we can find a model that will perform well for you.

By the way guys ice court is a killer on all wheels. We have been working on this problem for years. You need a soft wheel to grip on the surface due to the open air structure of the surface limiting the amount of contact you can get. Then on the flip side it works like a cheese grater almost so the life and durability of a soft wheel is short. We will keep working on it though, we have several good things in the works over at Revision.

painteater19 please email me at nabeel@revisionhockey.com I'd like to here some specifics if you can about what did not work for you with our wheels. Let's see if we can find a model that will perform well for you.

By the way guys ice court is a killer on all wheels. We have been working on this problem for years. You need a soft wheel to grip on the surface due to the open air structure of the surface limiting the amount of contact you can get. Then on the flip side it works like a cheese grater almost so the life and durability of a soft wheel is short. We will keep working on it though, we have several good things in the works over at Revision.

I'm glad you guys chimed in -- i was just talking to a teammate who used to get a discount through you guys and was thinking about giving Revision another go. I haven't used revision since my college days (2002-2007) when you were very heavy on marketing the customization ability vs. weight. Are you guys still big on that? I was 5'5" - 150 lbs, and i'm still around the same.

No combination worked for me better than the RinkRat hotshots that were available back then (downside is that they split or chunked faster than other wheels).

I have a very ice-like agressive stop and haven't found anything comprable to my liking (see OP). Given the increased popularity of your wheels, i was really thinking about switching but was looking for a better understanding vs. just reading the claims -- hard to gauge word of mouth and I don't see too many people on Revisions at the rinks i play/ref at.

edit -- saw the 'matrix' on your site -- looks like i'm in limbo. I'm ~155lbs so i could go soft and sacrifice wheel life or go harder and sacrifice grip. Any tips on how to gauge how fast wheel life will go? I prefer grip more than speed.

thanks!