Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tommyj214

Anyone have the New CCM U+ Shoulder/Pants?

That is the one thing I hate about my current U09's. I have to fold the flap inwards and down into the pants, b/c it bent forward so far.

My Eastons have a flap like that too... drives me nuts. I ended up just folding it inwards too. Hey, another layer of padding, I guess...

My Eastons have a flap like that too... drives me nuts. I ended up just folding it inwards too. Hey, another layer of padding, I guess...

Haha yes, I was not complaining about that extra padding when I took a point blank wrister off the jewels last week.

it just seems like there should be a better way to clamp it down

I almost just cut it off TBH. Because I'm fat and I need larger pants to accomodate that, the flap just ends up sticking straight out giving me a "tentpole"-like look with my jersey. folding it in is the only way to fix that.

Can anyone speak to the protection of the shoulder caps on the CL's? I'm out with a badly broken collarbone and want to upgrade my shoulders when i come back. I was leaning toward Reebok 9k, but the weight of the CL's would be nice.

Good protection, but the U+Pro are better, as the top of the collarbone protection is not connected on the CLs.

Can anyone who has worn the u+pro and the u+cl make any comparisons from actually using both models?

I hope this hasn't been answered yet. I've read in another topic that the cl shoulders have adjustable biceps. One commented that there might be one with and one without. Does anyone know if thisis true? I've got a pair and they do not have adjustable bicep guards. And by the way, I love the pads. Had one95 previously.

I hope this hasn't been answered yet. I've read in another topic that the cl shoulders have adjustable biceps. One commented that there might be one with and one without. Does anyone know if thisis true? I've got a pair and they do not have adjustable bicep guards. And by the way, I love the pads. Had one95 previously.

In my experience, the CS pads have an adjustable bicep guard, the CLs don't.

Can anyone who has worn the u+pro and the u+cl make any comparisons from actually using both models?

I used to wear the U+pro and tried the CLs and CSs. I've stuck with the CS shoulders. They're definitely lighter than the U+Pros with a very similar fit. They're not too much heavier than the CLs. I wore a large U+pro and tried both the large and mediums in the CS and the CL. I ended up going with the larges, but shortened the chest straps, as I felt that they ran a bit bigger than the U+Pros. I definitely wondered whether there was going to be a drop off in protection, just because of the difference in weight. If its that much lighter, it must not be as protective, right? Well, I've been wearing them for about a month now, 3 to 4 times a week. I've taken my usual beatings in front of the net and along the boards and haven't felt any less protected than I did when wearing the pros. I've gotten used to them and like the weight and how they stay dry. I liked them so much, I tried the CL shins and elbows as well. They're also noticeably lighter than the Jofas I was wearing, and I have no complaints about the protection from shots, slashes or falls.

I'll say this about the soft foams - the U+ foam, the G-form stuff... it works. And its lighter. I had reservations about the CL stuff as well, and thought that this can't possibly work and that it might be a bit fragile. I've got no complaints about it so far.

Polymers, synthetics and plastics can be made into some amazing products. Kevlar can be rolled in a ball and still stop a bullet. A suit of armor can't and won't.

In my experience, the CS pads have an adjustable bicep guard, the CLs don't.

Correct. Other readers comments in other thread are wrong.

In addition to the shoulder pads I also have the cl elbow pads. I really like them also. So much so that I'm considering getting the shins. I saw in a video that the front of the shins has slots instead of fully covered with plastic. For those that have them, do you think that this makes them less protective? Could a puck hit it just right and hurt through to the leg? Strange question I know.

honestly i`m quite disappointed at the U+ CL, i recently bought them out of compulsion...they look so damn nice. however the rib and back protection are second to none...it is so thin that a small punch can actually hurt...however they are really light so i can use them when i``m going to drop in hockey...however if i wanted light and less protective pads i could``ve went for for sherwood shoulder pads

honestly i`m quite disappointed at the U+ CL, i recently bought them out of compulsion...they look so damn nice. however the rib and back protection are second to none...it is so thin that a small punch can actually hurt...however they are really light so i can use them when i``m going to drop in hockey...however if i wanted light and less protective pads i could``ve went for for sherwood shoulder pads

have you actually taken a small punch that has hurt? or are you guessing that it would due to how thin it is? i dont have a lot of rib and back protection in my fit05 currently, but i am not going to count out how protective a material can be based on how thin. I am open to input.

Could you clarify? You seem to contradict yourself. "Second to none" means the rib and back protection are the best.

Also, taking a punch is not really the most accurate way to judge padding. A punch will generate force, that even when dissipated can still hurt. Taking a sharper impact such as a puck or a stick is not going to have the same force behind it, so the protection is designed to absorb something a little different than a punch.

Also, taking a punch is not really the most accurate way to judge padding. A punch will generate force, that even when dissipated can still hurt. Taking a sharper impact such as a puck or a stick is not going to have the same force behind it, so the protection is designed to absorb something a little different than a punch.

It's alot more accurate than a pink paper towel though. If you were to get punched with two different pads on I would say the one you feel the least is probably going to be the most protective vs. elbows, shots, butt ends, goal posts etc.

have you actually taken a small punch that has hurt? or are you guessing that it would due to how thin it is? i dont have a lot of rib and back protection in my fit05 currently, but i am not going to count out how protective a material can be based on how thin. I am open to input.

I've played a month in these and haven't felt like I'm less protected than I was in the U+pros. I think it is natural to feel like you're more protected in a harder shell, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are actually are less protected in a softer foam. These are definitely lightweight and feel like it. But I've taken slashes, crosschecks, checks, pucks, pushes and shoves while wearing these pads and haven't given any of them any more thought than I did when I was wearing a heavier shoulder pad.

Again, you may not feel a punch in a suit of armor, but you will in a kevlar vest. But the kevlar vest will stop a bullet. A suit of armor won't. I believe rib and chest protection for hockey is primarily built to protect against sticks and pucks, not against punches. I've taken several sticks and pucks to the torso in these pads. It hasn't been a problem.

A few of you caused one topic to be locked. Do not bring that into a second topic

I've played a month in these and haven't felt like I'm less protected than I was in the U+pros. I think it is natural to feel like you're more protected in a harder shell, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are actually are less protected in a softer foam. These are definitely lightweight and feel like it. But I've taken slashes, crosschecks, checks, pucks, pushes and shoves while wearing these pads and haven't given any of them any more thought than I did when I was wearing a heavier shoulder pad.

Again, you may not feel a punch in a suit of armor, but you will in a kevlar vest. But the kevlar vest will stop a bullet. A suit of armor won't. I believe rib and chest protection for hockey is primarily built to protect against sticks and pucks, not against punches. I've taken several sticks and pucks to the torso in these pads. It hasn't been a problem.

i agree. i have seen the power of foams (and also of plastics to be equal), through my occupation, and have no doubt foams can be as protective than the plastics they currently use in equipment, so will not discount equipment solely based on wether it has plastic caps or not. thinner foam does not mean less protective, or insulating, infact its often the thinnest of foams with proper construction that insulates and protects the best.

In all, i will continue to wait for feedback on the pads actual abilities, and when i can get my hands on some to check them out myself. Glad you gave them a try, and keep us updated on how they do, as well as their durability. I trust CCM products, and feel that the necessary R and D went into this technology to do what they say they do.

Wasn't going to step in but it looks like this thread is heading towards the same path as the last one...

The pad has to flex - a rigid pad will make it impossible to move. The CL rib protection is adequate in that aspect - no worse than any other comparable pad on the market.

guffaw - your argument is seriously all over the place. It just seems to me (and apparently, others) that you want to find fault with these pads in any way possible. First you were using the thigh pad video to debunk the shoulder cap protection, then you're using the shoulder cap video to debunk the chest protection.

I could get the product manager to comment but I have a feeling nothing is going to change your mind.

i agree. i have seen the power of foams (and also of plastics to be equal), through my occupation, and have no doubt foams can be as protective than the plastics they currently use in equipment, so will not discount equipment solely based on wether it has plastic caps or not. thinner foam does not mean less protective, or insulating, infact its often the thinnest of foams with proper construction that insulates and protects the best.

In all, i will continue to wait for feedback on the pads actual abilities, and when i can get my hands on some to check them out myself. Glad you gave them a try, and keep us updated on how they do, as well as their durability. I trust CCM products, and feel that the necessary R and D went into this technology to do what they say they do.

I actually just picked up a pair of the pants as well. I've been wearing some pro stock Eastons, so these feel much, much lighter. I haven't had them on the ice yet though. They definitely sit lower on my hips and around the waist than the Eastons do, so I will have to get used to that. I like that they're two piece, so if I end up liking the hip protection more than the thigh protection (or vice versa) I can mix and match a little. I'll report back after a few skates.

Also, somewhere someone asked about the protection of the shin guards and the slots. I've had no problems with the protection from shots or sticks from the shin guards. And the back of the leg protection is the U foam, so it is thinner feeling for sure. But again, I haven't had a "damn, I wish I was wearing my Reeboks instead" moment yet in them. In my experience, the shins seem slimmer feeling than my 9ks, but they seem to have a little more room at the ankle, which for me is good because I wear my shins a little longer and over my skate tongues.

I actually just picked up a pair of the pants as well. I've been wearing some pro stock Eastons, so these feel much, much lighter. I haven't had them on the ice yet though. They definitely sit lower on my hips and around the waist than the Eastons do, so I will have to get used to that. I like that they're two piece, so if I end up liking the hip protection more than the thigh protection (or vice versa) I can mix and match a little. I'll report back after a few skates.

Also, somewhere someone asked about the protection of the shin guards and the slots. I've had no problems with the protection from shots or sticks from the shin guards. And the back of the leg protection is the U foam, so it is thinner feeling for sure. But again, I haven't had a "damn, I wish I was wearing my Reeboks instead" moment yet in them. In my experience, the shins seem slimmer feeling than my 9ks, but they seem to have a little more room at the ankle, which for me is good because I wear my shins a little longer and over my skate tongues.

pants are actually the first piece i am going to upgrade. What level are you playing at? i currently have fit07LE that are only a few months old, but i lost a significant amount of weight and waist so now those are swimming on me as i was between sizes initially, and was trying to decide if the u12's or Cls would be better pants for me. According to one site the 12's are actually a bit lighter, but if the CLs are recognizably more protective and only a bit more in weight, i could justify the additional cost. keep us updated on the pants as well!

guffaw - your argument is seriously all over the place. It just seems to me (and apparently, others) that you want to find fault with these pads in any way possible. First you were using the thigh pad video to debunk the shoulder cap protection, then you're using the shoulder cap video to debunk the chest protection.

Let me clarify then.

1) It is my opinion that the thigh pad test is inherently flawed. I was not aware of the shoulder cap vid when I first commented on the CL's. While i feel the shoulder cap test holds some merit, I by no means consider the CL's "proven" one way or the other.

2) The rib protection is a seperate concern I had after seeing the pad and trying it on.

It's a new pad with new technology. I have some concerns with its durability and protection that likely will not waiver until the pad has been used by a bunch of people for an extended period of time. That is my opinion.

Now can we please move on. It is not my desire to argue or be insulted on an internet forum.

Moving on. On some unsold pads I'm seeing some creasing in the U Foams of the CL pads in the same shoulder area (of the main body, not the cap). It seems that there is no segmentation there to account for that. Anyone else notice this?