Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nCodeIT

Bauer 4500 helmet and visors

Hi guys,

i'm new to this site and this is my first post. My name's Alex, i play center in an Italian minor league team.

I got a question about helmet/visors.

It's time to get a new helmet for the next season, i was thinking about the Bauer 4500 size large, i like traditional padding and the look of this helmet, the question is what visor to put on it.

I don't like small visors like Oakley's Pro Straight Small, i prefer it to come down to my nose.

I was thinking about the standard Oakley VR903 or the pro modified aviator. I like Bauer's HS23S as well.

Can someone post some pics of this helmet with visor (Oakley, Bauer, Hejduk, whatever you got...) or link some forum posts where i can see those?

I know this kind of questions has been posted thousand times, but i live in Italy, good hockey equipment is rare to find and very expensive so i have to look abroad (US, Germany, Sweden) to buy some good stuff.

I just want to see what the helmet looks like, to not spend my money blindly.

Suggestions are welcome, any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Alex#87.

For officiating, I use the 4500 with the Oakley Pro Straight (Small) visor. Pretty much the same setup that Geno is shown wearing.

Pro Straight and Straight Small are two different visors. That visor right there is the Pro Straight

Please be aware that how the helmet fits is going to largely affect the coverage of your visor. You can see in that picture of Malkin that his helmet is tilted rather forward, with the brim of the helmet touching his eyebrows. I know my helmet does not sit that low, and as a result the visor will be considerably higher on my face.

Hi guys, i get the helmet and the visor, here how it looks :

7180429039_ae077410f1.jpg

This is a Bauer 4500 HH Black Large with Oakley VR903 Pro Straight Clear Visor

This helmet is simply great, the shape is beautiful, the VN paddings are not too hard and well positioned, with a little adjustment (i expanded less than 1 centimeter) it fits my head perfectly,

it doesn't move around my head, and there are no pressure points.

It is very solid, after tightening the screws the two pieces of the shell don't move at all.

My head fits deep into the helmet, it comes down just over to my eyebrows.

The visor is big enough for me, it is 8 centimeters (i think about 3.5 inches) at the widest point, it covers my nose entirely :

7365655664_d8fca6e98d.jpg

This visor is very wide, even for a large helmet, so i attached it with the thick spacer :

7365655888_9baef00f10.jpg

It took me about 5 minutes including opening the package to put it on the helmet.

Very easy to install.

I hope that these pics and this short description will be useful to someone interested in this helmet/visor combo.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for the suggestions and for the replies.

Thank you very much.

See you soon guys!

Alex#87

That's a nice setup, man! I take it Oakley changed their spacer design?

Those are the euro spacers.

I think JSK81 is right.

I always used Bauer visors, so i have no experience in buying/using Oakley's, but

if you look in any of the European online hockey shops (hockeymonkey.eu for example) that sell Oakley product you'll find this type of visors.

Notice that my visor has two sets of holes instead of slots on the sides. This, in my opinion, limits the possibility to customize the position and tilt of the visor, because when you screw it, it doesn't move at all.

The only thing you can do is try different position of the spacers and set of holes on the sides until you find one you like.

Luckily my configuration of the spacers and the last two holes works prefectly for me, exactly what i was looking for.

Alex#87

just mounted this oakley pro straight on a 4500 and I am not sure if I need more spacers. Any help would be great.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

It looks like you need to add the spacers as the the visor looks like it is pulling the sides of the helmet out a lot. I reality though, its not that big of a deal so if thats how you like it, keep it that way.