Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

any idea how big of a shim I would need? Its hard to judge just going by feel. I have a way of measuring, but there's a chance it might not be right.

And after adding a shim, would the blade profile be the same, or would additional profiling be needed to get them so they are as close to each other as possible.

The total pitch (combined holder and stock ES4 profile) is 3/32. I'm not sure what the APx2s would be, but maybe somebody else can give you that one. I'm guessing a 2/32 (1/16) shim would likely do the trick.

The total pitch (combined holder and stock ES4 profile) is 3/32. I'm not sure what the APx2s would be, but maybe somebody else can give you that one. I'm guessing a 2/32 (1/16) shim would likely do the trick.

Those measurements are in inches right? What type of material should I use? I bought a polyethylene cutting board and cut it for the shims on my roller blades, but that was also a huge shim (8mm or about 5/16"). I could always order a thin piece on Amazon, but if theres something else I can buy locally thatll be easier.

If I decide to go the profile route. Do you think they would be able to just look or measure the Makos, and get the vapors to match it? I dont have a lot of faith in the people who sharpen my skates - which is why Id still probably feel better with shims.

Those measurements are in inches right? What type of material should I use? I bought a polyethylene cutting board and cut it for the shims on my roller blades, but that was also a huge shim (8mm or about 5/16"). I could always order a thin piece on Amazon, but if theres something else I can buy locally thatll be easier.

If I decide to go the profile route. Do you think they would be able to just look or measure the Makos, and get the vapors to match it? I dont have a lot of faith in the people who sharpen my skates - which is why Id still probably feel better with shims.

Unfortunately, I'm only a theorist. I know that facts and the theory behind what was done to my skates, but the practical details are another matter. JR put shims in my son's skates and I believe it was HDPE. Not sure of the source, but I think he's provided it on here before.

I'm with you though regarding the profiling. JR is the only guy I trust to profile my skates now after the previous debacles I've gone through. So, if you don't have confidence in your local profilers, shims are probably the way to go.

On a related note, I got new ES4 steel for my Makos about 9 months ago. I broke one of them on Tue in a drop in game, so, I had to throw a relatively new set I had as back up in for my game Wed. Even though they were both ES4 steel in Makos and had initially been profiled exactly the same, by the same person at the same time, 9 months of sharpening once a week or two had made them different enough to feel like different skates.

Good luck on you quest.

On a related note, I got new ES4 steel for my Makos about 9 months ago. I broke one of them on Tue in a drop in game, so, I had to throw a relatively new set I had as back up in for my game Wed. Even though they were both ES4 steel in Makos and had initially been profiled exactly the same, by the same person at the same time, 9 months of sharpening once a week or two had made them different enough to feel like different skates.

Good luck on you quest.

Ideally you want to rotate those sets to avoid the shock of new steel.

Ideally you want to rotate those sets to avoid the shock of new steel.

Yeah, that was the original idea, but then.. you know.... forget to swap them out and the next thing you know, 9 months have gone by. It was an interesting lesson to the effects of sharpening on profile even from sharpeners I trust for the most part.

If you're not playing in a major season (seeing as we are approaching summer) id try getting used to the pitch. Get them profiled by someone you trust

I went through such hell with my makos last year adjusting pitch, adding in tuuks, etc. when my mako ll comes in I'm getting my profile done by noicing and that's it.

Unfortunately, I'm only a theorist. I know that facts and the theory behind what was done to my skates, but the practical details are another matter. JR put shims in my son's skates and I believe it was HDPE. Not sure of the source, but I think he's provided it on here before.

I'm with you though regarding the profiling. JR is the only guy I trust to profile my skates now after the previous debacles I've gone through. So, if you don't have confidence in your local profilers, shims are probably the way to go.

Good luck on you quest.

Agreed that HDPE is the way to go, Im just hoping a find a source locally. Last time instead of ordering a sheet of HDPE from amazon I was able to just get a HDPE cutting board that was the same size I needed. Not sure they make cutting boards as thin as I need this time.

Sucks not having anyone who actually knows what theyre doing around here. Every answer to whatever you ask them is "ya whatever its fine", or "yea you can bake them as many times as you want". Ive had guys pretty much refuse to sharpen my skates at anything other than 1/2". I havent been playing as long as some of them im sure, but at least I put the time into understanding how things work, and why people prefer some things different. Its frustrating.

This is part of the reason I'm strongly considering paying $1000 to get my own home shaprener.

If you're not playing in a major season (seeing as we are approaching summer) id try getting used to the pitch. Get them profiled by someone you trust

I went through such hell with my makos last year adjusting pitch, adding in tuuks, etc. when my mako ll comes in I'm getting my profile done by noicing and that's it.

Well heres part of the problem: The first is I got them used and the person before me got a custom profile (9/10 i think), so Id rather have stock, and then go from there.

I also used to use Vapors before my Makos, and I think the aggressive pitch of the mako pretty much instantly made me a better skater. So I told myself even if I ever go back to Vapors, I would adjust the pitch to be the same as the Mako's.

The last reason is I am trying to make everything the same across roller and ice. I did some work to try to get the pitch of my roller blades (with sprungs) to match the pitch of my mako ice skates. So I would like to be consistent across all skates, and Having the blade get profiled back to stock, and them adding a shim to match I think will be the easiest and most accurate way of doing it.

Do you know if noicing would just be able to know how to make the pitch on my vapors the same as the pitch of the makos? I guess that would be an option for now, but that would mean every set of new steel would have to be profiled as well. Which is why I think the shim is the better choice.

Agreed that HDPE is the way to go, Im just hoping a find a source locally. Last time instead of ordering a sheet of HDPE from amazon I was able to just get a HDPE cutting board that was the same size I needed. Not sure they make cutting boards as thin as I need this time.

Sucks not having anyone who actually knows what theyre doing around here. Every answer to whatever you ask them is "ya whatever its fine", or "yea you can bake them as many times as you want". Ive had guys pretty much refuse to sharpen my skates at anything other than 1/2". I havent been playing as long as some of them im sure, but at least I put the time into understanding how things work, and why people prefer some things different. Its frustrating.

This is part of the reason I'm strongly considering paying $1000 to get my own home shaprener.

Looks like these guys have what you need.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23869

Does anyone know how the stiffness compares from mako compared to the m8 and the mako 2?

The M8's that I got to hold seemed to be just a step down in stiffness from the Mako2. I think the skate will do really well for Easton.

And the M2 is stiffer than the Mako just like some claim on youtube?

A little, in my opinion. Not by much.

I still have my old Makos and comparing them with the Mako2 isn't exactly accurate considering how beat up my M1's are and the M2's are pretty much in pristine condition.

I've never really understood why people get so caught up with how much a skate weighs. If the skate fits, and in some cases have the leg strength, 100grams difference is negligible. I mean, sure, if we're talking S15's compared to Mako's then yeah there will be a difference, but in today's skate market almost all skates are within 150grams of each other (estimated guess).

My MLX's weighed more than my Mako2's and I don't even notice a difference in weight at all.

Not sure why but it does bother me, i feel like i am quicker with lighter skates. Overall i try so save weight everywhere, 150gr here, 150gr there, and before you know it you are a kilo or two lighter.

Not sure why but it does bother me, i feel like i am quicker with lighter skates. Overall i try so save weight everywhere, 150gr here, 150gr there, and before you know it you are a kilo or two lighter.

Are you really quicker? Blind taste test: have you timed your skating through set courses and compared? What skates are you comparing to your Makos that you feel quicker in? It could be something other than the weight. It also could be the weight, but have you ruled out other things?

Dont you think your local retailers can answer that better than us? Just give them a call and ask when they'll be stocking it.

I would've thought so but all I get is 'We'll be able to let you know once Easton has informed us'...

Reading about you guys over the 'pond' using/rating them & we're still waiting for their release ??

I would've thought so but all I get is 'We'll be able to let you know once Easton has informed us'...

Reading about you guys over the 'pond' using/rating them & we're still waiting for their release

The majority public is still waiting for release over here too. June 20th.

Are you really quicker? Blind taste test: have you timed your skating through set courses and compared? What skates are you comparing to your Makos that you feel quicker in? It could be something other than the weight. It also could be the weight, but have you ruled out other things?

All valid questions, but hockey players are finicky people, even those not on MSH. If he feels lighter and faster on the ice, then more power and pleasure to him. Whether or not he actually IS faster is a question that cannot reasonably be answered in a scientific setting for most rec hockey players.

• Like 1

All valid questions, but hockey players are finicky people, even those not on MSH. If he feels lighter and faster on the ice, then more power and pleasure to him. Whether or not he actually IS faster is a question that cannot reasonably be answered in a scientific setting for most rec hockey players.

Sure, but the preference is for the weight and that preference colors every other judgement that follows.

• Like 1