Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

I think it's time to find a new league.

I try to move at 45 degrees across the ice while giving the D'man a good target with my stick. Looking back for the puck is never a good idea.

That's half the reason I miss it. Too busy concentrating on not running into somebody.

Not every breakout has to be a two line pass. I hate when my forwards make it harder for me to find an open lane. Moving east-west also helps create passing lanes and if it's a no-check league you don't have to worry about open ice hits.

Not every breakout has to be a two line pass.

Sometimes all you can do is just chip it out of the zone or jam away to make sure it clears the zone. Unfortunately, I make enough of those bank passes that my guys all expect every puck to get through now and it gets dangerous when it doesn't happen.

Well that actually went well. We won 8-3 or 9-3, I can't remember. The worst part for me was not having skated in a month. Absolutely no stamina. I tried to make up for it by being as well positioned as i could be and trying to keep my shifts short (the other LW I think was getting annoyed with me, but hes one of our better players so im not sure it bothered him THAT much).

Definitely a younger crowd, very vulgar and obnoxious, but I think overall the pace of play was more suited for me. They were all better than me (who isn't? I was easily the worst player in my old league too) so it should give me some opportunity to improve puckhandling, shooting, and skating. The positioning seems to be nowhere near as crucial since it's kind of all over the place, but I think given the chance, I'm better off working on the fundamentals. As long as I stick to MY position, they can't really complain too much ;)

I suppose I'll stick around and see what happens.

You just spent all that money on new gear. You better stick around and see what happens. :laugh:

An important thing to do is set goals for yourself for each game. Especially if you feel you are one of the worst players. The goal is to win but setting goals for yourself within the actual game will help you improve much quicker and make it a better personal experience.

For example, I'm going to hold on to the puck an extra 6 or 10 seconds when I get it, I'm not going to make any blind passes this period, or I am going to score a goal this game. Sometimes when you aren't that great it can be tough to enjoy hockey with that kind of a team.

Second game in. Walked into the room, and was handed the sign up form and said I had to at least sign the waiver on it to be allowed to play, and to bring my USA Hockey registration and a check next week. Fine, fair enough. But I guess this means I'm in for the long haul.

The game went well. We were actually down a goal at one point (ended up winning 5-3). I'm really thinking I'm in the right place. I'm still easily the worst player on the ice, but there's still some good passing out there, and lots of encouragement. There's also a split second more time to make a decision with the puck. I actually had two shots on goal, too. (I was also playing RW, so much more comfortable).

The league I was in before was clearly guys who have been playing a long time and had some skills. Many of them were older guys who had played all their life but were in div 5 because they didn't want the high competition, they just wanted to skate and have a beer. The new league geniunely seems to be guys in the beginning of their hockey career, partially because they're not all that good, but also because they're SIGNIFICANTLY younger. I highly doubt any of my teammates have children.

Once again, I'm not sure I really fit in on a team where one guy was boasting about being drunk AND high at a game, but the skill level is right where it should be. I'm definitely the oldest on the team, though (and I'm only 30).

I was hoping your team would get bumped up to a higher division so I could play them. They have douches who take runs at defenseless guys. I always had a feeling they played drunk but now it's confirmed.

I was hoping your team would get bumped up to a higher division so I could play them. They have douches who take runs at defenseless guys. I always had a feeling they played drunk but now it's confirmed.

lol! Well, there hasn't been any dirty play so far. Though I hear the original players from this team aren't on it anymore, so maybe that's why. They're even talking about changing the team name, now that the original members aren't there anymore.

Whatever, the guys are nice to me. They're just kids, so meh. As long as my development goes in a positive direction, I don't care so much.

I'm really thinking I'm in the right place. I'm still easily the worst player on the ice, but there's still some good passing out there, and lots of encouragement.

Pleased to hear its going better. Perseverance is often required with Beer League..

I thought I'd pop in and provide an update.

My old team is 2nd last place, only ahead of a team who is 2-12, and must have lost a bunch of players because they were really good at one point.

Not that winning/losing should be the reason to leave a team, but it clearly indicates they're in the wrong division, as I have been saying all along.

If they got put back into the lower division, I'm not sure if I'd go back - just because its a 30 min drive as opposed to my new team, which is 5 mins away. I just like my old team more. *shrug*