Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Flyers 2013

Season is toast. They need to move timmonen if they can. The big problem though is do you trust their talent evaluation. A guy on the radio made a good point today about their consistent lack of innovative thought. They had a chance a few years ago when they fired Clarke to move Lombardi into that job. Instead they went with Clark underling holmgren and a few years later, Lombardi/Hextall have rings, tons of young talent and the flyers are right back where they were when holmgren got the job, bad and lacking talent.

My opinion on snider is i dont like him. He's too old and senile. i also don't buy into his striving for excellence b.s. 37 years? I honestly think all he really wants is those PO dollars in his pocket. I know he would love a cup, but he wants those seats filled at PO time period. He is waaaaay to loyal to his guys like Clarke, homer etc.

my opinion on homer is he started off pretty good but has tailed off recently. The forsberg trade and sigings of hartnell/timmonen were solid moves but how many NTC did he give out? Many of his moves have Clarke written all over them. Case and point is Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov didn't really bring anything that Bobrovsky didn't already give them plus he was over 30. In his defense, Homer got screwed by pronger's injury but did they not see that they would need to replace an aging pronger/timmonen within a year or two anyway?

I think they expected a lot more from couturier and schenn but they obviously had sophomore slumps. But they are young so they get a pass until next season. If they don't improve dramatically, then the Carter/Richards deals look bad. How was schenn such a high prospect? He has some talent but nothing really sticks out to me.

Giroux looks like a totally different player but I expect him to rebound. Defense is horrendous. Goaltending? Man, that's a tough one. If they buy out bryzgalov, can snider honestly keep homer on with that big of a monetary mistake? Would you?

With regards to Brayden Schenn not living up to expectations, I read an interesting article about first round draft picks that get traded within 3 years of being drafted.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-03-25/first-round-picks-traded-nhl-trade-rumors-joe-morrow-brayden-schenn-ryan-mcdonag?sct=uk_bf3_a4

Usually doesn't work out too well for the team getting the first rounder, with a couple exceptions.

Good article.

Luca Sbisa (No. 19, Flyers): Traded to Ducks on June 26, 2009 with Joffrey Lupul, a first-round pick, a 2010 first-round pick, and future considerations for Chris Pronger and Ryan Dingle. Sbisa is playing nearly 20 minutes a night of clean, solid defense for Anaheim, and can be considered an established NHL player at this point.

Ouch!

That was one of the worst ones on the list. I remember when I heard that trade went through and thinking it wasn't too bad (at that point Lupul only had one solid season in his career with injuries affecting the others, and Sbisa yet to establish himself) but now that hindsight has taken over, Sbisa for Pronger straight up would have been a bad trade for Philly lol.

yes, but you cant evaluate trades in hindsight. at the time, the flyers were going for a franchise D-man. he was over 35 but still dominating. i thought it was too much give up but they did get to the finals that year and pronger had a huge impact. also, you cant predict injuries.

do you think snider would hold homer responsible if they recommend buying out bryz? thats a lot of cash to make a guy go away. imagine you had an employee that cost you 25 mil.

Real problem seems to be talent evaluation / management. They have almost no minor league prospects, one of the worst in NHL. I think it may be time for Homer to go. They took some shots, but a rebuild may be in order..

SydNap has it right. Other than Giroux, how many homegrown players do they have on their roster? I can't think of a single impact player on their team that they have groomed/developed. When you try to make a competitive team by adding through free agency/trades, it costs a ton of money and chemistry/cohesiveness suffer. Plus when you bust on multiple free agents, it makes the front office look like amateur hour. Top down changes are going to have to happen for things to turn around.

True, but that's not Ed's style. I predict that Clarke comes back if they axe homer. He will never go outside the organIzation. Maybe the biggest problem of all.

The Flyers have tried too hard to make things happen for years. They turn over a huge percentage of their roster every year trying to find the right formula for success, when it often takes time for the chemistry to work out.

That was one of the worst ones on the list. I remember when I heard that trade went through and thinking it wasn't too bad (at that point Lupul only had one solid season in his career with injuries affecting the others, and Sbisa yet to establish himself) but now that hindsight has taken over, Sbisa for Pronger straight up would have been a bad trade for Philly lol.

Injuries are a part of the game and entirely unpredictable. I would still do that trade every single time knowing Pronger gets hurts, a run to the SCF is worth it. The contract extension on the other hand, eh, nope.

* Haggerty also tweeted that Boston had been in talks with the Philadelphia Flyers to add forward Danny Briere. The deal potentially would have included forward Jordan Caron and a draft pick. Briere recently sustained a concussion and has a no-movement clause, so the likelihood of the deal getting done probably wasn't great given that Briere expressed an interest in staying with Philadelphia

So now that Mason is here, can someone fire Jeff Reese? Five in a row to get over .500? If Timonen doesn't play, logic dictates they'll shutout Peg. This defense is hilariously awesome.

I thought so. Their evaluation of bob looks horrible now. 2nd in save%!

I never liked that move at all. You don't give up on 22 yr old goalie with that quickness.

Watching the Flyers/Rangers and you have to love hearing homophobic slurs and other chirps from an otherwise silent crowd when Del Zotto's laying on the ice after taking a puck to the face.

Watching the Flyers/Rangers and you have to love hearing homophobic slurs and other chirps from an otherwise silent crowd when Del Zotto's laying on the ice after taking a puck to the face.

Coming from the same fan base that jumped a guy at Geno's Steak's(?) after the WC last year so you are surprised?

Every fan base has those asshole "fans." They don't make up the majority. It sucks that a few bad people, not fans make the news, but every fan base has them. Not just Philly.

Having lived in Philly and now currently in Chicago I'd have to say they are frequently more abusive in terms of heckling and physicality and you know how Chicago people are.