Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Explosions at finish of Boston Marathon-3 dead/170+ injured

If only they could realize that no, no they don't!!!!!

There are 48 other States...plus an entire rest of the world where "stuff" is happening. Surely they could cut to "regular programming" then, come back in 2-3, hell 4 hours from now...when there is actual news and something new to say.

The sidesplit screen with the 1 minute+ loop of the :15 second Texas explosion footage was an all time high for newscasting.

This has the attention/interest of a lot of people, many of whom would be wondering why they weren't covering it if they actually did cover something else. None of them wants to be the only ones to cover something else when something worth reporting does actually happen. Thew Newsroom episode about the Casey Anthony case is pretty spot on about this

The best piece I've seen so far was the CNN story about fake info that cited "one new group that said cell service in Boston had been shut down" That news source WAS CNN!

Besides...it's not like you can't just break in with REAL Breaking News....The graphic "BREAKING NEWS" has been on the screen for hours at a time while the information itself hasn't been even remotedly updated

The best piece I've seen so far was the CNN story about fake info that cited "one new group that said cell service in Boston had been shut down" That news source WAS CNN!

Besides...it's not like you can't just break in with REAL Breaking News....The graphic "BREAKING NEWS" has been on the screen for hours at a time while the information itself hasn't been even remotedly updated

It's not about providing news, it's about getting (and keeping) eyeballs on the screen.

I think they planned to do more but the photos forced their hand. The fact that the second is hiding again makes me think blaze of glory wasn't the plan.

The use of suicide vest(s) may indicate otherwise. The older brother seems like the true believer in the cause. White hat may not be quite as committed.

The use of suicide vest(s) may indicate otherwise. The older brother seems like the true believer in the cause. White hat may not be quite as committed.

The Aunt said that the younger brother started praying five times a day about two years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the older brother influenced him quite a bit.

The scary thing is this 19 year old kid (assuming he and his brother are the extent of the "cell") have shut down an entire city with what appears to be minimal resources. Avoiding just under 10,000 members of law enforcement. What happens next time when it's a group with orginazation and funding? Imagine a dozen of these clowns running around Boston at the same time- it'sd be an even bigger clusterf##k than this is. Between this case and Dorner out west , it's clear we are ill prepared for they type of attacks that are frequent in other parts of the world. Don't think for a second those that would do us harm are watching and taking notes.

...and there in lies the problem!

Exactly. Journalism and information is a product to be sold and the competition now with Twitter and other social networks is intense. Imagine trying to sell an apple when people are giving them away for free.

The scary thing is this 19 year old kid (assuming he and his brother are the extent of the "cell") have shut down an entire city with what appears to be minimal resources. Avoiding just under 10,000 members of law enforcement. What happens next time when it's a group with orginazation and funding? Imagine a dozen of these clowns running around Boston at the same time- it'sd be an even bigger clusterf##k than this is. Between this case and Dorner out west , it's clear we are ill prepared for they type of attacks that are frequent in other parts of the world. Don't think for a second those that would do us harm are watching and taking notes.

Excellent points.

It's so easy and cheap to destroy or sow fear, yet so costly to save or teach...

And if they hit 2 or 3 cities in this way at the same it would be a national nightmare. My biggest fear is that someone uses this to try andfurther erode individual freedoms in the name of "safety".

And if they hit 2 or 3 cities in this way at the same it would be a national nightmare. My biggest fear is that someone uses this to try andfurther erode individual freedoms in the name of "safety".

I was talking to the Mrs at dinner about the same thing. Not of question of if, but when.

Re: your second thought: There is already a push to further regulate reloading powder. Read somwhere that some clown had proposed legislation. I would expect Reid to re intro the UBC bill as well, I'm sure no matter how the gun were obtained the narrative will be that it was via the "gunshow loop hole"...

I was talking to the Mrs at dinner about the same thing. Not of question of if, but when.

Re: your second thought: There is already a push to further regulate reloading powder. Read somwhere that some clown had proposed legislation. I would expect Reid to re intro the UBC bill as well, I'm sure no matter how the gun were obtained the narrative will be that it was via the "gunshow loop hole"...

Early reports had a "long gun" and then "assault rifle" used by the brother that was killed. Now they're saying it wasn't in the car that ran him over and the younger brother must have it. Personally, I think this shows that there is no need for cameras on every streetlight, like they have in London.

Not sure, but that could be the rifle & sidearm from the cop they ambushed and murdered earlier. It's unclear if they had a gun(s) prior to that.

A few cameras here and there isn't quite 24/7 drones. If I don't care that Lord &Taylor is getting my picture on the street then why do I care if there are a couple other cameras doing the same thing.

Now its why not have drones run surveillance at events like this?

If this did occur in a residential area would it have the same impact? I dont think the effect would be as severe since the crowd may be thinner.

A few cameras here and there isn't quite 24/7 drones. If I don't care that Lord &Taylor is getting my picture on the street then why do I care if there are a couple other cameras doing the same thing.

Actually, I was referring to cities that have put up cameras that run and are monitored 24/7. The ones around here are also wired for sound so they can listen any time they want as well.

I'm glad they got the guy alive....hopefully they can get some answers. Now...I'm no lawyer...but I think for starters, they should take each of the injured and make those Attempted Murder charges, plus the 4 ACTUAL murders, should be as pretty good sentence!

Is Mass. a 'needle in the arm' State?

I'm glad they got the guy alive....hopefully they can get some answers. Now...I'm no lawyer...but I think for starters, they should take each of the injured and make those Attempted Murder charges, plus the 4 ACTUAL murders, should be as pretty good sentence!

Is Mass. a 'needle in the arm' State?

You're kidding, right? It's Mass, so no capital punishment.They are big on stuff like early release of violent offenders. If it's a federal case than the death penalty is on the table. Probably Same deal if he's an enemy combatant.

Press conference last night said federal case.

For reference, most of Heartbreak Hill is residential and that section is always packed with people. Many cheer on the runners there and then move on to the finish area.