Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

OPS benefits?

I made the switch from wood mostly because of stickhandling and swing speed, the light weight of these shafts allows quicker movement than any wood stick. I would never use a OPS again though. It makes no sense for me when my shaft/blade combos give me endless options and provide better performance.

this topic talks largely about performance and release time. whatever happened to wrist shots and low snap shots. release and performane is based mostly on slapshots and big snappers. man i wish youth coaches would teach the basics.

i will agree with jim on the consistancy... whether they be good or bad, they are consistant.

of all the shots that improved with my OPSs my snap shot was the most improved... i never shoot slapshots because im forward and its just not my style... my snapshot is probably my hardest shot now because i use it so often and its not the same with wood sticks. OPSs improved my accuracy and velocity on my snapshot and wrist shot... if anything it improved the quickness of getting of the shots which really has helped me score more goals..

im sorry its kind of rambling on but i hope tyou get the point...

I recall McInnis breaking about three or four goalies about 5 or 6 years ago in the space of a couple of months - I can't remember exactly who, but Thibault was one, when he played for the Blackhawks, and whoever the Coyotes goalie was then.  That was with a wood stick too.  Some maybe the average speed of shots has risen, but the top end speed, which you would imagine would be the most dangerous, haven't gotten any faster.  Again look at McInnis and Aucoin winning fastest shot competitions the last couple of years with wood sticks.

OPS don't make a difference with slappers. A player using an OPS or a similar flex woodstick will probably hit a slapper the same.

If you're claiming that an OPS makes shots harder, then you are saying that it does. If an OPS makes a shot harder, that should apply to all kinds of shots, not just snappers.

And in my previous post, I did mention how they were lighter.

I agree, Goalies are bigger and better now and wear bigger pads, yeah. But you figure if OPSes make shooters that much more dangerous, then it should compensate for the goalies' bigger pads and such, right? But no, they don't.

Snappers don't take as much time and effort to get the same shot off so in a sense players are shooting them harder. They can get harder shots off in some areas than they could before because of the loading and release characteristics of the OPS. Slapshots don't benefit from the quicker loading and release characteristics so therefore there is no tangible benefit to slapshots.

However, since it is obviously your desire to argue just for arguments sake, this will be the last I say on the topic.

I made the switch from wood mostly because of stickhandling and swing speed, the light weight of these shafts allows quicker movement than any wood stick. I would never use a OPS again though. It makes no sense for me when my shaft/blade combos give me endless options and provide better performance.

AGREED! Everyone is fanatical about one pieces, but for me the best feeling stick I ever had was my 95 flex cyclone shaft/wood blade combo, only problem was it felt too whippy. 100 bucks for the shaft and 35 bucks on blades, vs. 225 dollars for synergies. Buy a synthesis for 180 dollars and you're limited to a handful of very expensive blades with a limited selection of curves. I really liked the feel of XN10's, but 280 bucks just isn't worth it for the performance gain.

However, since it is obviously your desire to argue just for arguments sake, this will be the last I say on the topic.

I'm not arguing for argument's sake, I'm doing it to make a point: that OPSes don't have much effect on performance.

Not that I don't enjoy a good argument once in a while... ;)

where is Wade Belak playing ?

And this has what to do with the thread?

If you are implying that Belak is an NHLer because he uses an OPS, that'd just ridiculous. If not, I think you just got the wrong topic buddy.

However, as an FYI, he plays a bit in Markham these days - at Angus Glen community centre.

SO, for those of you arguing the fact that OPS are resulting in more goals, isn't that what we want? Maybe OPS were put here for a reason. :)

If they result in more goals, shouldn't goals be up in the NHL and not down?

In reply to the too young to use a OPS discussion, I think that no kid under 15 should have a OPS, because they cant use it. The only 13 year old who I have ever seen use a OPS to its potential is my brother, who has good if not better shot than me. No little 12 year old kid can make me thing different, not this 12 year old kid here who says he can, because in reality, i'm sure he cant.

The OPS may give a quicker release, but aren't goalie pads also getting lighter, so that they can move faster , if all equipment is equally advanced I don't think there would be a higher number of goals in the nhl. just my opinion :huh:

SO, for those of you arguing the fact that OPS are resulting in more goals, isn't that what we want? Maybe OPS were put here for a reason. :)

Actually, if you read again, you'll see that I was arguing that OPSes don't result in more goals.

In reply to the too young to use a OPS discussion, I think that no kid under 15 should have a OPS, because they cant use it. The only 13 year old who I have ever seen use a OPS to its potential is my brother, who has good if not better shot than me. No little 12 year old kid can make me thing different, not this 12 year old kid here who says he can, because in reality, i'm sure he cant.

By your logic no 12 year old kid can shoot as hard as your 13 year old brother?

Beaucoup I still think you're looking for dramatic results. I cannot think of any changes in hockey equipment that has directly resulted in more goals.

By your logic no 12 year old kid can shoot as hard as your 13 year old brother?

Beaucoup I still think you're looking for dramatic results. I cannot think of any changes in hockey equipment that has directly resulted in more goals.

Yeah, I suppose I am, Easy...I just think that if they really had any effect on the game, it would show in the numbers. Numbers rarely (not never, but rarely) lie.

Yeah, I suppose I am, Easy...I just think that if they really had any effect on the game, it would show in the numbers. Numbers rarely (not never, but rarely) lie.
There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Benjamin Disraeli

I don't agree. I'm 14 and notice a difference between my xn10 and my 5030. After using the xn10 for a while i got used to the snap of the shaft after i shot. With the 5030 i feel drag on my snapshot and it doesn't get as much meat and paatoes on it by the time it reaches the net,

I don't agree. I'm 14 and notice a difference between my xn10 and my 5030. After using the xn10 for a while i got used to the snap of the shaft after i shot. With the 5030 i feel drag on my snapshot and it doesn't get as much meat and paatoes on it by the time it reaches the net,

Yes I agree with you after yousing my XN10 and response plus then trying a bauer 6000 i really got used to that wip and now cant use my stick