Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slapshot2

Muscle training for slapshots

I wanted to start working on the power of my slapshot. Can anyone tell me which muslces are used most in the process of a slapshot? I've heard that strong abs help but for the upper body, do you need strong shoulders or biceps or triceps? Thanks in advance! :)

forearms and wrists will help on all shots but a slapper requires more trunk rotation and leg drive than the other shot types.

Squat, bench,deadlift triangle bar or striaght, power clean. or towel bench. i would do bench,deadlift ,power clean. Thats what i do my 7th hour class in school is BFS (biggerfasterstronger) and it has improved mine a lot well it is mainly for football but sense thats over i do it for hockey.

I would say your better off working on technique.

As with most hockey training, skill is the most important part.

Towel pullups too: they work your core and forearms pretty hard along with the customary pulling muscles. Wrap a towel around a support beam or pullup bar and go to town, but go slow...

Of all the above, I would say pull ups. Back muscles are the most underdeveloped in hockey players. If you can not do 20 pullups, you need stronger back muscles. A slap shot needs balanced and flexible muscles to come off accurate and repeatable. Work the back twice as much as your front and you will improve. Also, there are a number of tiny muscles, again in the back, that you can train with lifting 5 pound weights with your arms extended straight out to your front or side, lifting up and down. Do it slowly and feel the burn.

TECHNIQUE!!!!!! I know so many scrawny kids that haven't lifted a weight in their life that have an absolute bomb of a shot just because their technique is perfect.

I wanted to start working on the power of my slapshot. Can anyone tell me which muslces are used most in the process of a slapshot? I've heard that strong abs help but for the upper body, do you need strong shoulders or biceps or triceps? Thanks in advance! :)

Everything. Your abs and obliques will help with the body rotation. Your shoulders, chest, and arms will provide swing strength and legs will provide push into the shot.