Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skate advise. Which fit is comparable to old Mission Flyweight skates?

Hi all,

I'm starting ice hockey after 17 years of roller hockey. Needless to say it's quite a difference. I'm feeling like a newbie again :-)

My old beloved Mission Flyweight skates are starting to fall apart and I'm looking at new skates.

The food for thought:

- I prefer a top tier skate

- I love the fit of my old Missions. Not sure what would be comparable nowadays

- I don't have a hockey store nearby with different brands to try on. I live in Europe :sad: (I know it's the best way to purchase skates is to try a maximum of different brands/models and to go with what fits best).

I'm not comfortable with all the steel sharpening/blade profiling yet (although I'm starting to read the different topics covering @ MSH)

My hockey ID card:

33 years

Played roller since I was 16 and made it to a high level in Belgium (so ok level in comparison to US)

I'm 5'10 and around 160lbs

Played mostly D in roller but they put me on the wing on ice (if that matters)

I prefer a slightly agressive stand when on my skates.

I also like better agility and acceleration than top end speed.

Always had rather stiff roller skates

Foot shape? Euh I don't know. Pretty average I think. Not too wide. Heel more narrow. Medium Arch.

I was thinking going to the Mako skates if I can find a place to try them on...

Other thoughts?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post :smile:

take a photo of your feet and post it. There are some sick individuals on this board who love that kind of thing =)

take a photo of your feet and post it. There are some sick individuals on this board who love that kind of thing =)

Will try if I can find my cam back.

You need to go get fitted. Your feet have most likely changed over time. Start over. Many shops are blowing out old stock w/ great deals right now.

If you can get to a shop and try on as many skates as you can then that's the best route. Barring that, listing some recent roller hockey skates that fit you well could be helpful. Some recent models are based on ice hockey boot lasts.

@ SirJW: Unfortunately, I don't have a decent hockey store nearby (people don't really know how to fit, very little choice in brands or models etc), so it will probably be the online way for me.

@ Althoma1: My latest roller skates are Bauer APXR and Mission Axiom T10 Revolt's.

The APXR's are half a size too big for me. Took a 7,5 instead of 7. Fit is good, but I have a little too much space at the toecap and so I'm feeling not so agile in them while skating.

The Revolts are the perfect size, but the huge tongue is rubbing on my ankles and causing me blisters :sad: (I had a tourney last saterday and played 3hours+ in a row)... I should try to flop them I guess.

Hope this can help.

Thanks for the input!

The Bauer APXR roller hockey boots are built off the same last as the Bauer APX ice boots - so if you like those you could order a 7 in APX on clearance (if you can find your size). If you can't find your size in APX skates you could consider the APX2 which should be similar with some improvements (new lacing system ect.).

The T10s will fit like the top end Supreme skates - the TotalOne, TotalOneNXG and One100 skates in the same size should work if you like that fit.

I've read a lot of positive things about the Mako, but haven't had a chance to try it or try it on so can't really help with the sizing, but it's worth considering. There's a tonne of information on the Mako including some general sizing information in the big Mako thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/61887-easton-mako-skates/page-38

The one challenge with the Mako is it seems it'd be especially hard to be certain you've ordered the right size until after you've baked them - that can be said for many high end skates today, but seems especially true of a skate like the Mako.

Ah Flyweights, great skates but a b*tch to get on the riveter horn if they had the Footsox (or whatever they called it). A lot of guys loved those skates, even if they didn't fit that well, because that neoprene liner was like 1000 fairies rubbing your feet. And I'm one of those sick people mentioned above, don't judge me... I've fit a lot of guys from pictures. Make sure you take pictures at the end of the day after your feet have swollen as much as they will from being on them all day. Take an inside and outside side shot for heel shape and instep depth, rear shot for heel width, and a top shot for overall foot shape/width.

Thanks for your analysis Althoma1!

@ Customskateworks : You're not the only complaining on the neoprene. I liked the fit so much that I asked our sharpener to convert them to roller skates and he sure yelled at me once he was done with the conversion.

Worked out great.

3 years later, I'm back at his desk asking to reswap the frames for the original holders. Needless to say I had beg him to do it again :laugh: damn neoprene. And forget about flopping the tongues :tongue:

If the apxr fits well get an apx for ice. They're on clearence and should be easyish to find.

Not a bad idea, but I've got some reserve with the stance of the tuuks.

I'm reading that those holders have a fairly neutral pitch and a bigger rocker than other holders.

As I prefer a more forward pitch ( loved the Pitch3 concept), I'm a bit scared to be to much on my heels.

I know that this can all be fixed but i'd prefer a good sensation right out of the box (if possible).

On the positive side, our little shop from Belgium has the APX2 for sale at roughly $660. :)

Makos are at $640 I think, but not in my size range anymore :-(

I'll try to take some pictures of my feet asap.

Thanks for your help!

You'll be fine going to the APX's. They're a forward cut. I had Graf 703's and felt so flat-footed in my Amp Flyweights that I gave them away and went back to the 703's. Then I went to Bauer X60's and finally at APX's.

You'll be fine going to the APX's. They're a forward cut. I had Graf 703's and felt so flat-footed in my Amp Flyweights that I gave them away and went back to the 703's. Then I went to Bauer X60's and finally at APX's.

What are your thoughts on the Grafs ? I can try some here as a couple of stores distribute them.

What are your thoughts on the Grafs ? I can try some here as a couple of stores distribute them.

The 705/G5 is fairly similar to the same shape as your missions.

Personally, I loved mine. I think I bought them around '98, though. When I switched over to the Bauer Vapors a few years ago, it was because at that point, Graf didn't really have any skates I felt employed much of the new tech that was showing up in other brands and vendors were quite limited. I knew the Vapors had a forward cut/pitch like the Grafs, so it wasn't much of a transition and I really appreciated the weight-savings and lateral stiffness of the Vapors. My Graf 703's were a pretty soft, heavy boot. But I'm really excited to see that Graf seems to have stepped up their game big-time and are producing high-end skates again.