Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avery16

hockey officials gear

As far as getting hit with pucks, it is going to happen. For lower level junior games, I bought a tour roller padded shirt and the first time I used it I took a wrister square in the throat -- never can win 'em all. It's a good shirt that prevents nasty stingers in the ribs and well vented. I like it. Hockey Giant and Tron had them a while ago -- it's the white one. Some guys use the reebok 7K and like it.

The best advice is to piss on the puck. Keep square with it as much as you can, especially as a linesman along the boards. Point your toes parallel to its path and you'll have great vision of where it is coming, and in lower level games I'm always yelling at players to look up. Another good way to prevent getting hit is to build comaradrie with the players. They hate hitting their friends!

I never do more than 2 junior games in a day, 3 youth or high school, and only one NCAA varsity. I tend to get loopy if I do more than that.

The NHL guys I know do wear some upper body protection but they tend to be younger. The old timers don't wear too much gear.

Any thoughts on or anyone use the Evo Sheild chest guard shirt? I dont mind the bruises from pucks but really just want my heart protected for that rare time a puck hits me in the chest.

Urban legend or not, story of ref in his 20s in one of the local leagues took a slap shot to the chest, messed with his heart rythm and he needed pacemaker. Thats what Im want to prevent.

Depends on the level. I do in high levels but don't for midget AAA. No reason to start those guys up early.

When I do chat, I ask about their season and the last time they played each other. 30 seconds tops.

any of you full timers limit the amount of games you do in a day? do you get mentally tired at some point?

I don't like to do more than one set of back to back games. I know guys that brag about doing six or eight games in a day and they're usually doing a pretty bad job for most of those games.

when you're reffing.. do you talk with the coaches before the games? how do your conversations go?

"Hey coach, how are you today? My name is Chadd (shake hands). I'm happy to answer any question you have, if you want to have a discussion, that will have to wait until the end of a period. I tend to call a tight game, watch the late and high hits and make sure everyone has their mouthguard."

Even if I've known the guys 20 years, they get the same routine. The guys that have known me for that long appreciate the fact that they at least know what to expect from me. For me, it's all about consistency.

"Hey coach, how are you today? My name is Chadd (shake hands). I'm happy to answer any question you have, if you want to have a discussion, that will have to wait until the end of a period. I tend to call a tight game, watch the late and high hits and make sure everyone has their mouthguard."

I avoid saying things like that at all costs. Your definition of tight may be completely different than that of the coach, and you could be knee deep in it quickly. We teach in seminars to avoid saying that or giving examples of what you'll call because it gives coaches something to latch onto if you have a difference of opinion or standard.

Coaches, that should be a thread unto itself....

Youth: I'll introduce myself, wish them luck, and let them know I'll be more than happy to "explain" a call I make. My exact words are "good luck, I'll be more than happy to explain any calls, just call me to the bench, "quietly". If they start yelling, they don't deserve nor get my attention, other than a warning prior to a bench minor. When and if I do go to the bench, I'll explain a call. If they start talking, a great line I stole from a friend which works is "coach, this is an explanation, not a conversation". During the game Ill make some comments as I pass the bench, coaches appreciate that. Things like if a player is borderline out of control, I'll pass the bench and say "coach, rein in 12 or I'll have to". Or on a questionable line change I'll let them know they were close to a penalty and say "get those line changes cleaner".

Juniors: Depending on the coach. If I haven't met them, an introduction and good luck. If I know them, a handshake and good luck, maybe a couple of words about the season. If I know them and they are whiners or yellers, nothing.

College and above: Nothing. They have a job to do, so do I. I will however find a guy stretching near the referee's crease and ask about the history between the teams, their last game, whether their games are generally chippy, etc.. Lots of great information about what to expect and how quickly to clamp down on a game can be garnered that way. In addition of course to checking rosters and previous game box scores.

As for a tight vs. loose game, I don't have a standard. I manage the game based on the players. If they are playing hockey and it's a close game, I'll let more go. If they are out there trying to kill each other, or in a lopsided game, anything away from the puck I'll call, and NOTHING after the whistle is acceptable. I've done junior games this season between the same two teams where I called one penalty or thirty three. It's up to the players. Game management is huge and not taught well enough, in my opinion.

As for a tight vs. loose game, I don't have a standard. I manage the game based on the players. If they are playing hockey and it's a close game, I'll let more go. If they are out there trying to kill each other, or in a lopsided game, anything away from the puck I'll call, and NOTHING after the whistle is acceptable. I've done junior games this season between the same two teams where I called one penalty or thirty three. It's up to the players. Game management is huge and not taught well enough, in my opinion.

+1. And boom goes the dynamite. Amen to this brother. It is amazing how many officials, regardless of the level, don't grasp this simple, yet vital aspect of calling a game. Us zebras should not be the determining factor in any game. If the players know what they are doing, then our jobs shouldn't be hard. No need to make us the vocal point of game because of some egotistical power trip.

any tips to someone doing their first game as a linesman?

Focus on your stuff and make sure you get in from the blue line on every stop in play. Even if you don't think anything will happen after the whistle, sprint in there as if it might.

Make sure you are the first to your line, you don't want to be behind the play on a close line call.

any of you guys have to measure sticks often? have a stick measurement device?

Doesn't matter anymore for Hockey Canada, not sure about USA Hockey.

Recently, a team was short handed. The forward cuts to the net, tries to roof it, and puts it over the glass. The goalie says "that's an illegal curve". I look at him and say "ur down a man, are you asking me for a measurement"? He quickly realizes that if he's wrong, they go down two men and says "nah, I was just kidding".

Does the ref need to own a measurement device, or is that something rinks have sitting in the timekeepers bench? I've never ever seen a ref carrying one from their locker room to the ice before a game.

Also, just a FYI for anyone who may not know... you can order custom sized Stevens pants via refstuff.ca (and probably other retailers too). About $30 upcharge on the non-padded model.

Does the ref need to own a measurement device, or is that something rinks have sitting in the timekeepers bench? I've never ever seen a ref carrying one from their locker room to the ice before a game.

Also, just a FYI for anyone who may not know... you can order custom sized Stevens pants via refstuff.ca (and probably other retailers too). About $30 upcharge on the non-padded model.

If you are working a high level game or tournament, you better have one in your bag. Beer league, it happens about once every 25 years.

If you are working a high level game or tournament, you better have one in your bag. Beer league, it happens about once every 25 years.

So do you generally just leave it in your bag and go grab it if somebody wants a measurement, then?

Most of the guys I know leave them in the bag, but they can get to it in 30 seconds or less if needed. The ref rooms at our local rinks are located right next to the ice.

Any thoughts on or anyone use the Evo Sheild chest guard shirt? I dont mind the bruises from pucks but really just want my heart protected for that rare time a puck hits me in the chest.

Urban legend or not, story of ref in his 20s in one of the local leagues took a slap shot to the chest, messed with his heart rythm and he needed pacemaker. Thats what Im want to prevent.

Apes - We had a guy in J-Town about 20 years ago that - IIRC - that took a blow to his chest. (I don't recall if it was a shot or getting caught on the boards and absorbing a body check). Next day he collapsed and died while in the shower. They might have been mitigating factors, but the concern is real.

You also don't need a device, just a tape measure. Hold the blade against a stanchion and measure the depth of the curve against the straight edge.

If the tape is a flexible metal one pull a couple feet of it out and have a partner hold it on the blade heel and toe. You then use it as a straight edge and make your measurement just like you would with a gauge...... cleaner and more accurate than the top of the boards or a stanchion.

Recently, a team was short handed. The forward cuts to the net, tries to roof it, and puts it over the glass. The goalie says "that's an illegal curve". I look at him and say "ur down a man, are you asking me for a measurement"? He quickly realizes that if he's wrong, they go down two men and says "nah, I was just kidding".

Goalie doesn't make this request... it has to be the captain....

get to your line ahead of play and make the call from about 3 feet in. Vocalize close line calls... "Good".. If delayed offsides then "Off" or Delay" depending on what the local league wants. Don't flat back on the boards, be about 3 feet out and 3-5 feet back from the line and facing the zone at a 45* angle. Good vision and allows for accelerating to the net or backing off with a quick c-cut. Work with your partner... read the play and step up to cover for him if hes gonna get pushed off by play. Communicate with the players.... icing that is slowing down and you might wave it - tell them to keep skating on it and if the quit or dog it the wave right away.... Similarly, talk to them when you get to the scrums - do not just reach in and grab because all they know is that someone grabbed me from behind. DO NOT turn you back to the play or the puck because all of your padding is on the front.

You WILL be saying "HEAD UP" and "Take a look" a lot so that you don't get drilled with clearing attempts.