Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carterb

Hockey skate fit -- leg length discrepancy, pronation, supination

Hi Alan,   if you use bolts for holding on the blade holder you can make plastic wedges that are slotted so you loosen the bolts and slide the wedge. When you find your thickness make a permanent shim.

My brain is spinning an actual steel that has an off set that actually changes the center of gravity on the tilting ankle  . . Or off set made from aluminum   .

There are a blade that retrofits in a inline skate frame . They would be pretty easy to move left or right to push up on the correct side of your foot   

The retrofit is something we are looking at. 3D printing a plastic adapter that fits into an installed holder and then the steel fits into this, by use of shims and screws the steel can be moved side to side in the adapter. It has a couple of advantages, the client stays in their existing boot / holder / steel / profile / hollow setup. The adapter creates additional blade height and this makes it easier to fine tune the center balance point as the extra height allows us to see any blade lean more clearly. Once the center is determined then, depending on how much movement is required, there are a number of options to get everything set up correctly for the skater. Generally a remount of the holder will suffice.

On 2018-02-05 at 12:31 AM, Playmakersedge said:

Hi Alan,   if you use bolts for holding on the blade holder you can make plastic wedges that are slotted so you loosen the bolts and slide the wedge. When you find your thickness make a permanent shim.

My brain is spinning an actual steel that has an off set that actually changes the center of gravity on the tilting ankle  . . Or off set made from aluminum   .

There are a blade that retrofits in a inline skate frame . They would be pretty easy to move left or right to push up on the correct side of your foot   

I am late replying and I will answer to each post so I don’t miss anything. This is one method that I had discussed if VH could do it when it it was VH and the answer was yes. At this point I can’t afford the skates, but this is certainly worth that discusdion at my LHS. As you see I have not been in any hurry to get back on the ice yet and test something new for fear of falling on my injured shoulder. The only problem here is the bolt length. My fist wedge for pronation was 3 mm and only on my right skate. That certainly made the blade look weird, but not when on the ice. Now I will surely need more than 3 mm on both sides, but I can start there with the appropriate length bolts. They can’t be too long or they will get in the way, but I can add the wedges I just bought from the Bike Shop. Retrofit next!

Thanks - Alan

On 2018-02-05 at 5:35 AM, Vet88 said:

The retrofit is something we are looking at. 3D printing a plastic adapter that fits into an installed holder and then the steel fits into this, by use of shims and screws the steel can be moved side to side in the adapter. It has a couple of advantages, the client stays in their existing boot / holder / steel / profile / hollow setup. The adapter creates additional blade height and this makes it easier to fine tune the center balance point as the extra height allows us to see any blade lean more clearly. Once the center is determined then, depending on how much movement is required, there are a number of options to get everything set up correctly for the skater. Generally a remount of the holder will suffice.

Allan, I am not sure this was meant for me, but I have no idea what’s up! Any photos etc?

Thanks, Alan

Also,

i just thought a video on here a minute or two ago with someone opening boxes of bolts for skates, but now I can’t find it! Looked like they were going to show something about adjusting the holders etc.

Alan

On 2018-02-05 at 5:35 AM, Vet88 said:

6 hours ago, smu said:

Allan, I am not sure this was meant for me, but I have no idea what’s up! Any photos etc?

Thanks, Alan

I think I see what you are getting at, is ther anyway to get more information to me?

Thanks - Alan

On 2/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, smu said:

Thanks, Alan

On 2/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, smu said:

I think I see what you are getting at, is ther anyway to get more information to me?

Thanks - Alan

I have a couple sketches with different ways to offset the blade in the holder  .  One in simply machining down a blade that protrudes  3/16" from the holder . Machine the ears off another blade measure what's gotta come off while overlapping the other part to be the same height.   . Clamp and remove it   machine 12 holes for zero tolerance fit pins  expand with heat and press in the pins . 

On 2/10/2018 at 9:52 PM, Playmakersedge said:

I have a couple sketches with different ways to offset the blade in the holder  .  One in simply machining down a blade that protrudes  3/16" from the holder . Machine the ears off another blade measure what's gotta come off while overlapping the other part to be the same height.   . Clamp and remove it   machine 12 holes for zero tolerance fit pins  expand with heat and press in the pins . 

If you still have my email can I see your sketches to get a better understanding? I will email you if you no longer have my address. BTW, after your suggestions I decided to visit my LHS and he feels he can easily move my holders 1/8" medially, using his t-bolts that do not have those 3 jagged edges on them, to see how much that helps. He said he can go more or if needed or the suggestion that I can slide thin wedges through the t-bolts on the lateral side to perhaps help more.

I may try and get back on the ice for skating only, this Thursday!

Thanks - Alan

On 2/5/2018 at 5:35 AM, Vet88 said:

I can now understand your article and see how this would work if all these pieces were close by. I understand Bauer has a way to make sure you are over your COG, but does it work?

I may have mentioned this, but I took photos of my tendons while I was standing flat on the floor and could not believe how much curvature (pronation) were in both of my Achilles tendons!

Up to this point I had been using tracing paper and wetting my feet and made tracings. They all turned out to be in an acceptable range of normal pronation as did the automatic step-on Costco unit giving me the same results.

Last week I went to my LHS and this time I showed him how twisted my Achilles tendons were and he was surprised (going from little to a lot over an 10 year period), but I am getting older!

With this, my guy shifted my holders medially 1/8" and I was sure this would be the end of it all.  I am not back to playing yet as my shoulder is not ready, but I did step on the ice yesterday.

I only put Superfeet in, but to my amazement I had no inside edge on either skate, indicating that the fix was not enough.  My pronation is worse than I ever thought and I had to get off the ice.

I may have not much more room to move the holder as they are a junior skate with a smaller outer-sole. I can add shims to the lateral side as that look as if it is my only other method that will get me out of this mess.

I may take one more skate next Tuesday and post medially inside, a small amount just to see if I am going in the right direction. If the posting works I know what to do, add the outside shims as it is my only alternative and do them with the T-nuts.

What are your thoughts? I have just about had it and feel like quitting.

Cheers - Alan

10 hours ago, smu said:

I can now understand your article and see how this would work if all these pieces were close by. I understand Bauer has a way to make sure you are over your COG, but does it work?

I may have mentioned this, but I took photos of my tendons while I was standing flat on the floor and could not believe how much curvature (pronation) were in both of my Achilles tendons!

Up to this point I had been using tracing paper and wetting my feet and made tracings. They all turned out to be in an acceptable range of normal pronation as did the automatic step-on Costco unit giving me the same results.

Last week I went to my LHS and this time I showed him how twisted my Achilles tendons were and he was surprised (going from little to a lot over an 10 year period), but I am getting older!

With this, my guy shifted my holders medially 1/8" and I was sure this would be the end of it all.  I am not back to playing yet as my shoulder is not ready, but I did step on the ice yesterday.

I only put Superfeet in, but to my amazement I had no inside edge on either skate, indicating that the fix was not enough.  My pronation is worse than I ever thought and I had to get off the ice.

I may have not much more room to move the holder as they are a junior skate with a smaller outer-sole. I can add shims to the lateral side as that look as if it is my only other method that will get me out of this mess.

I may take one more skate next Tuesday and post medially inside, a small amount just to see if I am going in the right direction. If the posting works I know what to do, add the outside shims as it is my only alternative and do them with the T-nuts.

What are your thoughts? I have just about had it and feel like quitting.

Cheers - Alan

Hi Alan,  I was thinking of your problem and how to make an adjustment plate to actually dial in the tilt needed as you are in the skates  this will give the exact thickness of the shim needed.      

I also have a design for a blade mount off set that fits in the existing runner mounts in the blade holder.    

I have another adjustment plate that stays in situ . I like this the best. It doesn't change your foot height in the boot and doesn't affect the natural center of gravity.        I can fabricate this part no problem  if you would like  .   This is hot my mind work . I make custom gadgets for the motorcycles I build.  

Came across this forum searching for solutions to just this problem. 

Little background. I was a crappy rec league player at age 15-16. Played 1 season then a spring league. Never played again. I'm now 39 and the passion is there again as my son I starting to play at age 8. We have been skating the local open skates together for almost a year now almost every Sunday. 

I have noticed that I can't get on my outside edge at all on my right foot. No matter how hard I try, I just can't reach it. I have Bauer NXG Total One skates and Bauer speed plates, both heat molded. I can tell that while I'm on the ball of my left foot, I'm back on my middle- heel on my right. Last Sunday I took some hockey tape and made a 1/8" thick square of tape and put it under my right insole. All of the sudden I'm more on the ball of my right foot, although not completely, and some manuevers are becoming easier. Looking stuff up I come across pronation/ supination and blade holder alignment. I can tell while standing flat that my right foot pronates slightly and that I should probably try to shim the side of my foot under the insole to see if that helps before removing the blade holder and shimming under the boot. I'll give that a go at the next open skate on Sunday. 

6 hours ago, Nickmast said:

Little background. I was a crappy rec league player at age 15-16. Played 1 season then a spring league. Never played again. I'm now 39 and the passion is there again as my son I starting to play at age 8. We have been skating the local open skates together for almost a year now almost every Sunday. 

I have noticed that I can't get on my outside edge at all on my right foot. No matter how hard I try, I just can't reach it. I have Bauer NXG Total One skates and Bauer speed plates, both heat molded. I can tell that while I'm on the ball of my left foot, I'm back on my middle- heel on my right. Last Sunday I took some hockey tape and made a 1/8" thick square of tape and put it under my right insole. All of the sudden I'm more on the ball of my right foot, although not completely, and some manuevers are becoming easier. Looking stuff up I come across pronation/ supination and blade holder alignment. I can tell while standing flat that my right foot pronates slightly and that I should probably try to shim the side of my foot under the insole to see if that helps before removing the blade holder and shimming under the boot. I'll give that a go at the next open skate on Sunday. 

Hey man.  It sounds like you are not getting enough forward flex  . Try dropping two eyelets  .         Also the skates of today are very sensitive to equal edge height because they are so bloody stiff.  Put a quarter across the edges you could have a high inside edge  .  Off 6 thousandth of an inch (two pieces of paper)  is enough to make hard or impossible to get the low side edge.  ...This year I needed new skates.  What I had were from 97 . I bought skates of today from one of the top two brands and they are way to stiff.   I gave them a chance.  I cut them and modified them (rebuilt them) .  

8 hours ago, Nickmast said:

You may have some pronation. If it is minor and Superfeet may be the solution. You have a 60 day guarantee return policy with no questions asked if you feel they do not work for any reason, so they are worth a trying. They worked well for me initially a number of years ago. I have had some success with special skate orthotics, but it seemed that I was needing to many changes and could not afford a pair every year!

The Superfeet are made with minor posting (you have to look hard to see the height difference between both sides) of the medial heel area (side closest to your other leg) and off-setting your pronation.

If this does not help enough, but it does seem that it helps you could add more this solid material underneath the medial side of the Superfeet. Try a piece of plastic etc of about 1/8" to start (1/2 the width of the heel pocket and about 2.5" long, make it rounded at the end of the heel pocket.

Make sure the you put these "posts" in the correct sides before you get on the ice as it is so easy to make mistakes as to "which is which"(as before the sides of the heel pocket closest to your other leg).

If you have no luck you could add wedges (these typically work better) on the outside of the boot between the holder and the boot out-sole and then the wedges need to be placed laterally or the side away from your other leg, opposite to the inside posting!

This may be hard to comprehend, but that's the way it works. I would start with again about 1/8" wedges front and back. Don't be surprised with the way your blades are now on the boot in a somewhat crooked or bent fashion, but when you are on the ice they work and no one notices anyway.

Regarding your balance issue, you seem to have the the normal pitch issue with your blade, the same issue I had. I was using a Bauer Tuuk holder with something like zero or flat pitch. One way of giving you your forward pitch and no lace bite is to add 1/4" outside heel lift (NEVER INSIDE!)of about 1/4" thick and it will save grinding some of you blade away. This worked well for me immediately, but the next blade I bought I had the pitch adjusted by having the blade profiled. The first profiling you may feel it is still not enough and if so just have your sharpener do a little more. Either of these two methods will correct your feeling of going over backwards all the time.

BTW, over the last 10 years I have been fighting pronation and having it getting worse.  

I have just had my holders moved 1/8" inwards, medially, toward the other leg etc, I am sure you know what I mean at this point.

But, with my last hockey game with the shifting of the holders inwards and with my Superfeet in place I knew that I was still pronating too much.

Tomorrow I plan to add back in some posting under the Superfeet just to see if I am going in the right direction. If I am, I will have both skates taken apart again and have T-Nuts and bolts installed instead of the rivets. This way I can loosen the holders and slide in some plastic pieces until my center of gravity is reached.

When this happens (I did it a few times posting on the inside) you will not believe the skating ability you will regain and the ease of stickhandling, shooting and passing. There will be no need to have your skates super sharp so you can keep standing on the ice without sliding out.

It's like a new person!

When this happens it means that your body weight is now over the center of gravity of your blades. I went from a 1/4" radius of hollow sharpening to 1/2", something I never believed I would be ever able to use, but... I did not understand the full nature of the problem I was having all this time!. 

I have certainly have learned from experience!

Good luck,

Alan

4 hours ago, smu said:

You may have some pronation. If it is minor and Superfeet may be the solution. You have a 60 day guarantee return policy with no questions asked if you feel they do not work for any reason, so they are worth a trying. They worked well for me initially a number of years ago. I have had some success with special skate orthotics, but it seemed that I was needing to many changes and could not afford a pair every year!

The Superfeet are made with minor posting (you have to look hard to see the height difference between both sides) of the medial heel area (side closest to your other leg) and off-setting your pronation.

If this does not help enough, but it does seem that it helps you could add more this solid material underneath the medial side of the Superfeet. Try a piece of plastic etc of about 1/8" to start (1/2 the width of the heel pocket and about 2.5" long, make it rounded at the end of the heel pocket.

Make sure the you put these "posts" in the correct sides before you get on the ice as it is so easy to make mistakes as to "which is which"(as before the sides of the heel pocket closest to your other leg).

If you have no luck you could add wedges (these typically work better) on the outside of the boot between the holder and the boot out-sole and then the wedges need to be placed laterally or the side away from your other leg, opposite to the inside posting!

This may be hard to comprehend, but that's the way it works. I would start with again about 1/8" wedges front and back. Don't be surprised with the way your blades are now on the boot in a somewhat crooked or bent fashion, but when you are on the ice they work and no one notices anyway.

Regarding your balance issue, you seem to have the the normal pitch issue with your blade, the same issue I had. I was using a Bauer Tuuk holder with something like zero or flat pitch. One way of giving you your forward pitch and no lace bite is to add 1/4" outside heel lift (NEVER INSIDE!)of about 1/4" thick and it will save grinding some of you blade away. This worked well for me immediately, but the next blade I bought I had the pitch adjusted by having the blade profiled. The first profiling you may feel it is still not enough and if so just have your sharpener do a little more. Either of these two methods will correct your feeling of going over backwards all the time.

BTW, over the last 10 years I have been fighting pronation and having it getting worse.  

I have just had my holders moved 1/8" inwards, medially, toward the other leg etc, I am sure you know what I mean at this point.

But, with my last hockey game with the shifting of the holders inwards and with my Superfeet in place I knew that I was still pronating too much.

Tomorrow I plan to add back in some posting under the Superfeet just to see if I am going in the right direction. If I am, I will have both skates taken apart again and have T-Nuts and bolts installed instead of the rivets. This way I can loosen the holders and slide in some plastic pieces until my center of gravity is reached.

When this happens (I did it a few times posting on the inside) you will not believe the skating ability you will regain and the ease of stickhandling, shooting and passing. There will be no need to have your skates super sharp so you can keep standing on the ice without sliding out.

It's like a new person!

When this happens it means that your body weight is now over the center of gravity of your blades. I went from a 1/4" radius of hollow sharpening to 1/2", something I never believed I would be ever able to use, but... I did not understand the full nature of the problem I was having all this time!. 

Good luck,

Alan

Op when you were playing as a teen  did you have to do any of this kind of thing to your skates?   What were you using for skates 

2 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Op when you were playing as a teen  did you have to do any of this kind of thing to your skates?   What were you using for skates 

If this was meant for me, I always needed my skates extra sharp, but that gave me the ability to play my normal game. I never knew at the time what my problem was, mild pronation.

But with such a deep hollow I was tiring myself out skating. It was as is if I was skating through the ice rather than on top of it, oh what a difference now!

My thighs used to get very tired and now with 3/8” and most times above that it is so much easier to skate and glide.

Alan

14 hours ago, smu said:

If this was meant for me, I always needed my skates extra sharp, but that gave me the ability to play my normal game. I never knew at the time what my problem was, mild pronation.

But with such a deep hollow I was tiring myself out skating. It was as is if I was skating through the ice rather than on top of it, oh what a difference now!

My thighs used to get very tired and now with 3/8” and most times above that it is so much easier to skate and glide.

Alan

Alan , i can imagine.  Had to be tons more work  . As a player I used 3/4 hallow  . Now just teaching and going to stick and puck time  I use 5/8 

22 hours ago, smu said:

It's like a new person!

Good luck,

Alan

There are shims on e bay  

On 2/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, Playmakersedge said:

This might give you a number  . You put the skates stand . Then have someone hold a square at your  heel using blade as a center make a mark on the tendon guard. Then roll your ankle to where it's straight.  The distance of the square from the  first mark gives you a tangible value 

This would give me the fact that I am pronating, but not the amount of change needed in the thickness of lateral (outside) wedges.If the rivets or T-nuts were loosened and wedges were inserted until you got a straight edge then you would have your fix.

I just had my holders shifted medially 1/8" and tried them out for my first skate by just using regular Superfeet (that have a small amount of posting to help those that have minor pronation). This fix did not help me at all except for the fact I was not posting my heel area as much as before shifting the holders.

This does mean that I am going in the right direction and I know for sure my pronation is far worse than I have ever dreamed!

In my second skating attempt I kept everything the same, my 1/2" ROH and the Superfeet, but I now added posting inside the skate that I found did help me. I took the skates off and added more posting and I was truly going in the right direction. Since I was not playing because of a sore shoulder I have to wait until tomorrow to try more posting and looking for much better results then go back to my LHS to have T-Nuts put in my skates so I can experiment putting wedges on the outside laterally between the holders and the boot out-sole.

I understand that this method gives a better fix, the only issue is the time it takes to dial it all in. I am actually getting excited about the possibility of once again having my weight properly over my blades or center of gravity and to enjoy the hockey I have missed over the past 7 or 8 years or so. I was just about ready to give it up.

Cheers - Alan

13 hours ago, smu said:

This would give me the fact that I am pronating, but not the amount of change needed in the thickness of lateral (outside) wedges.If the rivets or T-nuts were loosened and wedges were inserted until you got a straight edge then you would have your fix.

I just had my holders shifted medially 1/8" and tried them out for my first skate by just using regular Superfeet (that have a small amount of posting to help those that have minor pronation). This fix did not help me at all except for the fact I was not posting my heel area as much as before shifting the holders.

This does mean that I am going in the right direction and I know for sure my pronation is far worse than I have ever dreamed!

In my second skating attempt I kept everything the same, my 1/2" ROH and the Superfeet, but I now added posting inside the skate that I found did help me. I took the skates off and added more posting and I was truly going in the right direction. Since I was not playing because of a sore shoulder I have to wait until tomorrow to try more posting and looking for much better results then go back to my LHS to have T-Nuts put in my skates so I can experiment putting wedges on the outside laterally between the holders and the boot out-sole.

I understand that this method gives a better fix, the only issue is the time it takes to dial it all in. I am actually getting excited about the possibility of once again having my weight properly over my blades or center of gravity and to enjoy the hockey I have missed over the past 7 or 8 years or so. I was just about ready to give it up.

Cheers - Alan

In advance I'm better at seeing in my mind and executing verses explaining.   I will do my best . The amount needed comes from a simple pointer set level from where you are standing in pronated position.  Set up a string at that height.  Then when you straighten your foot the pointer moves away from the string . The distance away is how much the shim has to be . The pointer has to be close to the edge of the blade holder. It will tell you the size of the wedge.   Very simple.       The bellow is simply turning until it feels right.  I will draw it so you can visualise what's in my head 

I have a design for a plate that I can fabricate for you . This is totally adjustable in four directions.  I don't know how to post a pic . 

22 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

There are shims on e bay  

I have made my own shims for inside plus ordered ones that are in increments of one degree from a bicycle outfit in Australia. Outside shims are easy to make out of puckboard or I could use the shims that I just purchased. I am on the ice tomorrow just to see if adding more posting to the inside helps. Once I am on my COG I will be definitely do something more permanent.

Thank - Alan

23 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Alan , i can imagine.  Had to be tons more work  . As a player I used 3/4 hallow  . Now just teaching and going to stick and puck time  I use 5/8 

Agree and I have 1/2" now just waiting to get to my COG!

51 minutes ago, smu said:

I have made my own shims for inside plus ordered ones that are in increments of one degree from a bicycle outfit in Australia. Outside shims are easy to make out of puckboard or I could use the shims that I just purchased. I am on the ice tomorrow just to see if adding more posting to the inside helps. Once I am on my COG I will be definitely do something more permanent.

Thank - Alan

I got a Jack bolt design that doesn't require any disassembly after it's installed.  And i think to make the corections as needed it can't just be accomplished from one end or corner of the skate . I am using the principals of race car set up . An adjustment to the right rear also affects the left front it has to be dialed in with scales to set up weight distribution .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qWW54Kvewv9m72Fk1    Quick and dirty sketch 

On 2/13/2018 at 8:12 AM, smu said:

If you still have my email can I see your sketches to get a better understanding? I will email you if you no longer have my address. BTW, after your suggestions I decided to visit my LHS and he feels he can easily move my holders 1/8" medially, using his t-bolts that do not have those 3 jagged edges on them, to see how much that helps. He said he can go more or if needed or the suggestion that I can slide thin wedges through the t-bolts on the lateral side to perhaps help more.

I may try and get back on the ice for skating only, this Thursday!

Thanks - Alan

I may be interested, but don't we have private messages on this site? I am getting confused over Vet who I have an email address for and Playmakersedge. It's just about midnight here and I won't be able to get back until tomorrow. This method of communication is OK so is PM or email, just let me know. Email is probably the best.

Cheers - Alan

8 hours ago, smu said:

I may be interested, but don't we have private messages on this site? I am getting confused over Vet who I have an email address for and Playmakersedge. It's just about midnight here and I won't be able to get back until tomorrow. This method of communication is OK so is PM or email, just let me know. Email is probably the best.

Cheers - Alan

I put my email and phone number.  I think vette an I are tackling your issue at the same place just in a different way .   This is playmakers.  I gave you my phone as well.      The sketch I posted here . Is a fastening system that I would use three in each side in the rear and three each side in the front  .