Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Bob

Luke Richardson gets called out

As for Richardson, assuming the millionaire defenceman isn't qualified to earn a similar salary working as a brain surgeon, he's more likely to land something steady flipping burgers or driving a cab.

The same can be said of 99.7% of the players... and the writer.

Not to mention the fact that alot of players donate their time at the local rinks and do alot more for their communities than most columnists... lol.

I know for a fact Richardson is a down to earth guy and I see him at our local rinks pretty much daily, he's a jeans and sweatshirt guy and hangs with all the other hockey moms and dads and kids. The article really isn't fair, plus the writer comes off as much more bitter than any player..

Of course many of them don't have any job skills.

Thank you Theo, my History Teacher says that all the time. Like if someone asks you what you're good at, "Uhhh yeah I can backcheck really well," who the hell is going to hire you?

Thank you Theo, my History Teacher says that all the time. Like if someone asks you what you're good at, "Uhhh yeah I can backcheck really well," who the hell is going to hire you?

But Theo's point is, hockey IS their job.

I'm guessing Bill Gates wouldn't be a very good coal miner. It's like saying if all of a sudden all footballs (and the ability to produce footballs) disappeared then most NFL players wouldn't be able to find a job.. well duh.

yes hockey is their job, but playing professional sprots doesn't really require any job skills.

on the other hand, you're right, most NFL players would be dumbfounded about what to do

But Theo's point is, hockey IS their job.

I'm guessing Bill Gates wouldn't be a very good coal miner. It's like saying if all of a sudden all footballs (and the ability to produce footballs) disappeared then most NFL players wouldn't be able to find a job.. well duh.

And the writers point is that players shouldn't open their big mouths about getting "real jobs" when they won't need to unless they have been extremely stupid with the millions that they've made.

If someone like Rory Fitzpatrick says that, he's being truthful because he hasn't gotten filthy rich off the NHL.

But Richardson acting like he needs to go get a job is a bad joke.

I'm just getting tired of articles with writers pissing and moaning about how much players earn.

Exactly! If its such an easy money, then why don't those blasted stupid writers go and earn it!!;)

I'm just getting tired of articles with writers pissing and moaning about how much players earn.

And I'm getting tired of the players acting like they will have to get second jobs if they agree to a salary cap.

Do you think the players just call up reporters and make these statements? No. The reporters are looking for a story and it's easier to rip a guy than do any kind of research or heaven forbid, an actual impartial story.

It's not the reporters fault that the players suffer from foot in mouth disease on far too many occassions when they are asked about the lockout.

These guys should know that the reporters are fishing for something that will caused a stir and not give them what they want.

But apparently that's too hard for many of the players to do.

Although, there are plenty of players that are too smart for that stuff. For example, I've heard Iginla talk on more than a few occasions about the lockout and he always gives nice, bland answers that won't tick anyone off.

Luke should take a class from Iggy, IMO.

To say "we're not going to give in" is one thing. To spend the rest of the article on a crusade to bash that player and other players is not journalism, it's petty and unprofessional.

Just as it was childish for Richardson to assert that they should just blow up the league if the owners won't give the players what they want with regards to a cap, or lack thereof.

To me, this writer wasn't any less professional than Richardson was when he made the comments that he did.

And honestly, I don't have a problem with a writer taking anyone to task because they made an idiotic public statement.

Just like I have no problem when a writer bashes Spree for his whole "I have to feed my kids" rank because the the T-Wolves would "only" offer him like $7 or 8 million a season on an extension.

If you say something stupid like Richardson and Sprewell did, then you have to expect someone to call you out on it.

Just as it was childish for Richardson to assert that they should just blow up the league if the owners won't give the players what they want with regards to a cap, or lack thereof.

To me, this writer wasn't any less professional than Richardson was when he made the comments that he did.

And honestly, I don't have a problem with a writer taking anyone to task because they made an idiotic public statement.

Just like I have no problem when a writer bashes Spree for his whole "I have to feed my kids" rank because the the T-Wolves would "only" offer him like $7 or 8 million a season on an extension.

If you say something stupid like Richardson and Sprewell did, then you have to expect someone to call you out on it.

Richardson isn't a professional sports writer, not to mention he's on one side of a labor struggle. He should have an opinion on the situation. Not to mention I believe he is their player rep. I don't think his comments are all that out of bounds.

NHLPA won't accept a hard cap

People need some type of income to maintain their lifestyle

Assuming those statements are true what is so out of line with his statement? At least the NHL guys are standing on a principal (misguided or not, it's not my call), unlike Spreewell who is only looking out for himself.

A couple of points

I would think NFL players would actually have somewhat of a chance in the real world, with most being in school for at least 3 years, even if it is Sports Mgmt, etc..they were there..and I'm thinking some will have learned something..even if it is to be a Phys Ed and Health teacher...

The biggest joke I had ever seen was a poster when I was in HS that had a quote from Ray Bourque on it, encouraging people to finish school...he who dropped out to play in Verdun when he was 15...

I think if all the media does is harp on what was said, they will continually find access to be less and less from certain players...

Spree's comment was just ludicrous, Richardson's not really that great either..but I've never heard a top hockey player make a "feed my family" comment...and to me there's a huge difference between the two..

I think its a shame that "money" equals "respect" in pro sports...

I find hockey writer's on the whole to be an odd bunch, when I first moved to the DFW area in '01...every column Mike Heika wrote was just slamming Brett Hull...well turns out Hullie didn't hook him up with an autograph or something and then the slams started...then once Hullie skipped town and he had no one to bash he became Hullie's biggest supporter, wondering how the Stars could have let him go,etc..

Of course there's always the typical interview when this stuff happens, you've been BS;ing with the guy for a while..he's sort of taking your side..you feel a little to comfortable, say one thing you probably shouldn't have..and then BAM its fodder for all...

Personally, I think a lot of NHL beat writers have zero credibility, I'd like to see more of them have more experience playing the game instead of just dissecting it..i'm not talking a real elite level, but something above ankle bender..so they have some insight as to what the game is like outside of LHS D League

I agree with geki that NHL'ers are among the most accessible and down to earth sports figures you'll ever meet..even Gretzky was so easily available in NYC and would spend time with you as long as gave him the courtesy to watch his kids skate (which is what all of us want right)

the league is in bad shape, and it needs a lot of work and for many of these guys to have jobs in the coming years..some sort of cost certainty is part of it...

Richardson isn't a professional sports writer, not to mention he's on one side of a labor struggle. He should have an opinion on the situation. Not to mention I believe he is their player rep. I don't think his comments are all that out of bounds.

NHLPA won't accept a hard cap

People need some type of income to maintain their lifestyle

Assuming those statements are true what is so out of line with his statement? At least the NHL guys are standing on a principal (misguided or not, it's not my call), unlike Spreewell who is only looking out for himself.

Sorry, I don't see how the NHLPA's "principle" of getting paid as much as possible is any different than what Sprewell's have been.

And Richardson didn't just say that the NHLPA won't accept a cap and that people need to make money to keep their lifestyle's paid for. He made childish statements that if the NHL won't give the NHLPA what they want now that they should just blow up the league and start over.

And he talked that he's need to start sending resumes out.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that Richardson would have to be out job hunting tomorrow if the season were cancelled unless he had Cecil Fielder as his business manager.

I agree with geki that NHL'ers are among the most accessible and down to earth sports figures you'll ever meet..even Gretzky was so easily available in NYC and would spend time with you as long as gave him the courtesy to watch his kids skate (which is what all of us want right)

The thing that frustrates me the most about today's NHLPA is that they have the anti-Eagleson running things and once again the players are just marching along in lockstep regardless of whether or not their leader has their best interests in mind.

Hockey players overall are great guys.

But the NHLPA is led by a person that is leading them down the wrong path. And nobody is stepping up to him and making him make a deal that hurts now, but in the long run will hurt less than not making it at all.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that Richardson would have to be out job hunting tomorrow if the season were cancelled unless he had Cecil Fielder as his business manager.

I don't think he's talking about putting out resumes in the sense that the writer thinks. I can almost guarantee you that the local rinks here in town are aching to sign him to do a series of classes or clinics. I'm sure that if there's an official notice that the season is cancelled he can commit to those opportunities.

I doubt he's in any financial distress, his statement more than likely represents his interpretation the NHLPA scare tactic manifesto...

Why is the responsibility on the players to fix the Owners mistakes? They aren't working from a position they currently have, everything is working backwards. This is a mistake, rollback to fix this. I have no problem with that, but if the owners were fooled before shouldn't they have learned their lesson? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me?

If a cap is a deal breaker why enclude that, why not have a "working proposal" work out the rest and then say there will be some sort of restrictions whether it be Luxury tax or cap. And work from there. This whole ordeal is awful in my opinion. Both sides are acting like idiots and they are being led by idiots.

What the players and the association need to realize, is that most if not all of the owners are not solely NHL owners. Every one of them is a successful business owner, and an owner of a franchise as a venture not a primary income source. The players need to realize that ultimately, it's much easier for an owner to drop a club and move on than it is to deal with hemorrhaging money from a lockout or extensive negotiations.

The biggest joke I had ever seen was a poster when I was in HS that had a quote from Ray Bourque on it, encouraging people to finish school...he who dropped out to play in Verdun when he was 15...

Bourque may have dropped out of school to play hockey, but that doesn't mean he can't lend his considerable influence to a poster that evokes a positive message.

Most pro hockey players don't ever go to college, but many are willing to lend their influence to encourage kids to stay in school/don't do drugs, whatever, and I think it's a positive contribution to their communities.