Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Well, even if its only one period I figured I'd edit it anyway. These guys just kept trying to shoot it from a distance. Stick save after stick save. Kind of funny watching them back to back like this.

The one question I have is about the goal that was scored. Is there anything I could have done better on that? I was concentrating on the shooter, but did know there was traffic in front. I didn't want to cheat to my left. Is this just a fluke that there wasn't much I could have done better, or what?

22 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Well, even if its only one period I figured I'd edit it anyway. These guys just kept trying to shoot it from a distance. Stick save after stick save. Kind of funny watching them back to back like this.

The one question I have is about the goal that was scored. Is there anything I could have done better on that? I was concentrating on the shooter, but did know there was traffic in front. I didn't want to cheat to my left. Is this just a fluke that there wasn't much I could have done better, or what?

It's a little hard to see what happens, but it looks like the shot goes off your defenseman?  That's a little flukey.  But you never moved to attempt to adjust to the new angle.

I get you're focused on the shooter.  But you need to be aware of who is around you.  Once that puck is passed, you've got to get your head around and find the new target and try to get your body into the angle.  A butterfly push might have made that an easy save.  It's bang-bang and happened quickly, but if you were able to get down and then into the new angle and depth it might have caught your shoulder or glove.  If you look, you'll notice that you dropped onto your right leg (and even leaned to your right with all your weight and body), even though the play was to your left.  You moved away from the new angle instead of into it.  Maybe if you even dropped into a full butterfly instead of the half, your body would have been covering more of the net.  

And really watching the video again, you almost always drop into that half butterfly on your right knee, regardless of where the play is or the shot is going.  Get out of that habit.  Drop to both knees, or at least pull a Lundqvist and drop with your body centered and one leg slightly up (I do this a lot).  You are taking your head and body out of the shooting angle on every shot to your left.  And you are severely limiting any mobility because having your weight that off center grounds you in place.  You'll notice you reach for a lot of pucks, especially with your stick.  While I agree that using your stick is generally better than a pad when possible, you should still be moving into the shot with your body and head (now called "head trajectory").  You are dropping straight down and reaching.

You are definitely more fluid than you were a while ago.  And your recoveries are also much improved.  Now work on controlling your center of gravity.

Definitely some late reaction time. I almost think that when he threw it in front that I knew it was way wide and there was nobody on the back door so I was just going to let it go into the corner. But I'm not sure. Either way, you're right I needed to move regardless. 

You're not the first one to mention my "half-butterfly". I just don't know how to actually fix it. I made it into a GIF just so it's easier to see on a loop (I know JR hates GIFs on here - hopefully he doesn't mind this one!)

TWCZBBn.gif

33 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

Definitely some late reaction time. I almost think that when he threw it in front that I knew it was way wide and there was nobody on the back door so I was just going to let it go into the corner. But I'm not sure. Either way, you're right I needed to move regardless. 

You're not the first one to mention my "half-butterfly". I just don't know how to actually fix it. I made it into a GIF just so it's easier to see on a loop (I know JR hates GIFs on here - hopefully he doesn't mind this one!)

It has to do with the way you drop from your stance.  It's actually a progression of the way you used to drop forward onto both knees with your feet behind you.  Now you're getting a leg out to the side, which covers more net.  But to do that, you drop with all your weight onto one knee, and end up leaning that way.  Technically, you need to learn how to drop straight down by bringing both knees together and driving them into the ice.  Of course, that doesn't really help explain HOW to get yourself to do that.

My suggestion would be to force yourself to work on that whenever you can - during warm ups, during stoppages, between periods, open ice, stick and puck, whatever.  Even in warmups, you can just stay down in the correct position with your wegiht centered and both knees down. Then get used to moving your head and torso into the shot from that position.  Work on using both legs to kick out from the middle, instead of just your left, and do it without leaning to the opposite side as the leg you kick.  You can have the exact same warm ups as now if your team is smart enough to not dome you.  

Here's a video of Tretiak warming up and all of the exercises he would do.  You aren't playing as old of a style as him, especially with the pad stacks and kick saves.  But you can see how he is controlling and centering his weight, and then apply that to your technique.  The drill he is doing without pads on where he looks like a Bolshevik dancer may very helpful for you to try at home or something.  It'll get you to kick with both legs while centering your weight. 

I used to drop just like you.  Then I went to a coach who had me do these "Tretiak-like" drills.  We'd just get in a stance and he'd fire a puck to one side.  We just were supposed to drop and make a leg save (modern butterfly, not kick save) to each side and get the stick going that direction.  then we got up and he did it to the other side.  If you have good teammates, maybe you can work it into the end of warmups.  The pendulum drill may help too.  Drop to your knees with weight centered.  Lift one knee and engage the skate blade, then push hard enough to move two feet.  After you push, bring your knees back together, and as you are sliding engage the leading skate blade.  Use your momentum to bring that knee up and then push back the other way.  Do that a few times back and forth.  The trick is to keep your body centered, but your weight over the push and then trailing leg.  Then use the momentum to load your weight over the other leg for the push, again keeping your body centered.

Here are a few videos of what I mean.  The last is a third by Maria Mountain without gear on that really breaks down the mechanics of it.  It's pretty helpful.

• Like 1

It won't let me edit, so I'll double post.

You can practice this stuff at home too if you have a slippery-ish floor, just like Maria is in the video.  Wear sneakers, put on hockey socks, and a folded microfiber towel makes a great sliding pad.  Use something to mark out a center spot and just push back and forth.  You can work on two or three pushes in a row too, once you get better at controlling your weight.

Nice man, will watch all of these once I get back to the hotel. 

Like you mentioned, knowing what I need to do is very different from knowing how to execute. I still think I need to take even just 2-3 lessons with an actual goalie coach just to work with me on simple mechanics. Physically showing me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it, etc. I really really appreciate the help I get on here and on other forums but sometimes it really needs a personal aspect to it. It's like trying to learn how to deadlift based on a video... sure you may eventually get it right, but having somebody there to properly adjust your stance, etc would be huge.

Unfortunately our warmups are so short I usually have just enough time to do some basic stretching and then take maybe 5-6 shots before it's over. Stick and puck sounds awesome, it just requires me actually being home to get to one of those. Hopefully I'll get this new (local) job so I can sleep in my own bed more than a couple times a month.

Either way, it's still a whole lot better than it used to be. I'm sure the GGSU legends camp is going to be huge for me as well. It may be way above my skill level but I'm sure I'll pick up a ton from it.

21 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

Nice man, will watch all of these once I get back to the hotel. 

Like you mentioned, knowing what I need to do is very different from knowing how to execute. I still think I need to take even just 2-3 lessons with an actual goalie coach just to work with me on simple mechanics. Physically showing me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it, etc. I really really appreciate the help I get on here and on other forums but sometimes it really needs a personal aspect to it. It's like trying to learn how to deadlift based on a video... sure you may eventually get it right, but having somebody there to properly adjust your stance, etc would be huge.

Unfortunately our warmups are so short I usually have just enough time to do some basic stretching and then take maybe 5-6 shots before it's over. Stick and puck sounds awesome, it just requires me actually being home to get to one of those. Hopefully I'll get this new (local) job so I can sleep in my own bed more than a couple times a month.

Either way, it's still a whole lot better than it used to be. I'm sure the GGSU legends camp is going to be huge for me as well. It may be way above my skill level but I'm sure I'll pick up a ton from it.

I know it.  I was talking to someone about the Weekend Warriors camp and explaining how without someone there showing you exactly what to do, you just can't learn as quickly.  We haven't been playing since we were kids.  We haven't had coaching as we developed, and more importantly we haven't had coaching on modern concepts.  there's just so much that we'd never learn if someone didn't directly tell us or show us.  I don't even mean monumental changes.  Dumb little things have made big improvements in my game.  A goalie coach telling me to get a longer paddle because I was holding my hand too low - I stopped getting beat 5 hole.  snapping your heels after each movement to set your feet.  Lining up with the puck, not the shooter (which like mindblowing to me given my background as a defenseman).  Even playing D, little things from the WWHA camp have really improved my game - pivoting towards the middle to receive a breakout pass rather than skating towards the boards, switching to the right side since I'm right handed has made a tremendous difference, going to a lower flex and lie has made my shots and passes harder, how to line up on faceoffs.  These are all things, and i'm sure there are many more, that I wouldn't have even known to think about if I wasn't told by a coach.

Legends Camp is going to do wonders for you.  You're definitely better than when you started.  And Legends Camp is going to be like a light bulb going off in your head.  The goalie camp I did was pretty far over my level too, but it didn't matter.  I was still learning.

My warm ups are 3 minutes.  I get on the ice as they open the door.  Then skate 2 laps to loosen up, and do a little stretching by the boards.  One round of shots in a semi-circle each direction.  Then I'll stay down while guys are shooting and try to move around on the ice to make the saves.  After the horn blows, I'll scrape the crease and do pendulums until the faceoff.  It's not much time, but I try to make it most effective for me.

• Like 1

Squaring to the puck and not the shooter was huge for me. It seems obvious now but it wasn't even something I thought about at first. Like you said, so many little things that you'd have no way of knowing without somebody showing you. I can watch countless videos of somebody doing t-pushes correctly but that still doesn't help me correct my form once I'm on the ice. And practicing doing it wrong isn't going to help much. It may click eventually but it will take a whole lot longer. I bet I could have a coach show me how to do it correctly (or at least show me how to practice it to eventually do it correctly) in 20 minutes or less, easily. 

It's also not easy trying to picture what somebody is suggesting based on text alone. I had a lengthy "discussion" with somebody on another forum a while back who was trying to explain why my butterfly sucks. I just didn't see in my videos what he was saying I was doing wrong, so I couldn't fix what I couldn't see. I was just not picturing it correctly. 

I'm still pretty happy with my progress, though. But definitely nowhere near where I want to be. 

FiHMuRBl.jpg

12 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

Squaring to the puck and not the shooter was huge for me. It seems obvious now but it wasn't even something I thought about at first. Like you said, so many little things that you'd have no way of knowing without somebody showing you. I can watch countless videos of somebody doing t-pushes correctly but that still doesn't help me correct my form once I'm on the ice. And practicing doing it wrong isn't going to help much. It may click eventually but it will take a whole lot longer. I bet I could have a coach show me how to do it correctly (or at least show me how to practice it to eventually do it correctly) in 20 minutes or less, easily. 

It's also not easy trying to picture what somebody is suggesting based on text alone. I had a lengthy "discussion" with somebody on another forum a while back who was trying to explain why my butterfly sucks. I just didn't see in my videos what he was saying I was doing wrong, so I couldn't fix what I couldn't see. I was just not picturing it correctly. 

I'm still pretty happy with my progress, though. But definitely nowhere near where I want to be. 

FiHMuRBl.jpg

The camp I did, they had a giant mirror the size of an easel blackboard that they rolled out onto the ice.  You'd get in your stance and do movements in front of it.  That way you could actually see yourself WHILE the coach was correcting you.  It was so unbelievably helpful.  Having someone teach you hands on is great.  Having someone show you video of yourself and what you need to fix is also good, but not quite as it requires memory to fix in the future.  Having both at the same time, in real time, is incredible.  

That's why I posted those videos.  you're good with editing.  Maybe you can edit something to mesh those with video of you to get a better idea of the differences.  It's obviously not nearly as good as what you're going to get at GGSU.  But it's a nice place to start, even if it only helps a little.

Definitely good progress for sure.  You should be happy about it.  Please don't take any of my input as being critical.  

Hmm. What I should really do is take the gopro to a stick time and work on movements. At least that way I can get a front and side view of what I'm doing at the same time (I have two GoPros). 

If you have a friend or someone you could bring with you with an ipad, that would be very helpful also.  You could record yourself doing movements different ways, and then go back and watch the video while you're still on the ice to see how different things affect you.  I've done that a few times while coaching in adult clinics, both goalie and skating out.

Come to think of it, if you had a full size laptop with a webcam, and a stick and puck session without a lot of people, you could bring the laptop on the ice and use the webcam to watch yourself in real time on the screen.  Not ideal, but help.

3 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

Hmm. Yea or just put an iPad on a tripod. Big enough screen to see while you're doing the movements. 

Or you could do something really easy, and much more useful like that.  lol

• Like 1

Second league game went much better. Won 3-2. Our team got the go ahead goal. Got beat top corner after getting caught out of position and then somebody managed to sneak in a wraparound on me (which was odd, because I felt like I had a good seal). Shut 'em out the final two periods. Team played a lot better as a whole. Action shots: 

Watching the breakout: 

DSC_0057.JPG

Breakaway stop: 

DSC_0103.JPG

In the corner: 

DSC_0016.JPG

A decent shot of my stance: 

DSC_0020.JPG

• Like 4

Drop In Report: Yesterday was the first time I went to my home rink with a good turnout in awhile. I first thought it was going to be another day at the rink with no dance partners, as when I signed in, there were two skaters and two goalers. That ended up not being the case, as it was four on four with two subs each bench.

As I was warming up, my left hip was killing me. I did not want to go down as I was afraid of not getting up. It was not feeling good whilst stretching. I thought for certain I was going to end up going home. I was in a good amount of pain. I have had problems with over-tight hip flexors dating back to my days as a cyclist, runner and duathlete. Needless to say that I was not going to go down without a fight, so I fought through.

Weirdly enough, it got better. After a crappy warm up where it seemed I let in everything, I was on fire. I stopped McDangles on several break aways. I was actually making it hard to shoot against me. The other goalie was getting lit up like a Christmas tree on the other end. After 40 minutes of straight, end-to-end four on four with no significant breaks in action, I made the executive decision to break for a few.

"You hurt?", one had asked. 

"No, but unlike the pros, there are no TV breaks and this end-to-end action has never allowed me to even get a sip of water", I replied.

The goalie who got lit up wanted to switch ends. I agreed.

Unfortunately for him, his fortunes only got worse, as he was now defending against McDangles. Sure, my new D was bad;  McDangles can split the D like a knife through hot butter. Play ended up on the other end so much that I nearly fell asleep! I got a lot of 3 on 0 rushes, which there is no way to defend those. 

Maybe I am improving, but I think I played well above my pay grade yesterday.

• Like 3

Also, for anyone considering a Passau, here is a reference image to show how big this thing really is. 

Does my C/A make me look fat? Yes. But that's ok. 

DSC_0064.JPG

I am 5'9.5" between 180 - 190 depending on the week, athletic build. Hard to believe from this angle, I know. This is the pro pack model with Maltese chest protection and the additional rib protection, worn outside the pants. It is STOUT. I have yet to feel anything in it. And that's not hyperbole. Against lower level shooters, I know I got hit in the chest by sound only. Arm mobility was excellent out of the box, but I am still trying to get the shoulder floaters locked down for full head mobility. When it first arrived, they were up by my ear holes, but they have been getting better from wearing the unit. Overall I'm very happy with it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Drive down into butterfly focusing on keeping hips up and having both knees hit the ice at the same time, repeat x 1000. 

From that position, stand up on your right skate, drop your left knee to the ice, push laterally with right skate, repeat x 1000. I had the same problem for a while except in reverse. Watch the Wogtech videos. Over and over. Until you hear him in your sleep. Visual lead - find the new angle. Rotate - square to the new angle. Load, then load some more, and then, load some more, and gather. Push. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flop_N_Pray said:

Also, for anyone considering a Passau, here is a reference image to show how big this thing really is. 

Does my C/A make me look fat? Yes. But that's ok. 

DSC_0064.JPG

I am 5'9.5" between 180 - 190 depending on the week, athletic build. Hard to believe from this angle, I know. This is the pro pack model with Maltese chest protection and the additional rib protection, worn outside the pants. It is STOUT. I have yet to feel anything in it. And that's not hyperbole. Against lower level shooters, I know I got hit in the chest by sound only. Arm mobility was excellent out of the box, but I am still trying to get the shoulder floaters locked down for full head mobility. When it first arrived, they were up by my ear holes, but they have been getting better from wearing the unit. Overall I'm very happy with it. 

Mine was the same way. Floaters were huge. Eventually got them in check, and the entire unit broke in a bit. Now I barely notice it. I put on my old Bauer the other day at home just because it was sitting there and it was like I was wearing a padded shirt. Hilarious.

2 hours ago, Flop_N_Pray said:

Drive down into butterfly focusing on keeping hips up and having both knees hit the ice at the same time, repeat x 1000. 

From that position, stand up on your right skate, drop your left knee to the ice, push laterally with right skate, repeat x 1000. I had the same problem for a while except in reverse. Watch the Wogtech videos. Over and over. Until you hear him in your sleep. Visual lead - find the new angle. Rotate - square to the new angle. Load, then load some more, and then, load some more, and gather. Push. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. 

I bought the whole W Goaltending series on DVD. I even ripped them and threw the videos up on YouTube (private uploads) so I could watch them anywhere. Fantastic series. Best I've seen yet. I wish there were more.

The bunny has decided it's time to get a new set of pads; with the recent reductions, it's time to buy NOW!!!!!

Monkey has the Warrior Ritual Pro from 2012 on sale for $434 shipped at the moment. Yeah- no retro tan at that price; that's why G'd invented Padskinz!!!!! Since I am wearing predominately Detroit colours (Detroit sweaters and a red breezer shell), I went with the "Detroit" colours (white/red accents). I am going to wrap the outer rolls in tan and cover the red with white or will add red robocop to my glove and blocker. I could just let them be, as well.

Yes, they are different than my Vaughns. Me thinks that they will be stiffer and may fit better with my play. 

I have read some horror stories with these pads; I have also read glory stories with these pads, as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

The bunny has decided it's time to get a new set of pads; with the recent reductions, it's time to buy NOW!!!!!

Monkey has the Warrior Ritual Pro from 2012 on sale for $434 shipped at the moment. Yeah- no retro tan at that price; that's why G'd invented Padskinz!!!!! Since I am wearing predominately Detroit colours (Detroit sweaters and a red breezer shell), I went with the "Detroit" colours (white/red accents). I am going to wrap the outer rolls in tan and cover the red with white or will add red robocop to my glove and blocker. I could just let them be, as well.

Yes, they are different than my Vaughns. Me thinks that they will be stiffer and may fit better with my play. 

I have read some horror stories with these pads; I have also read glory stories with these pads, as well.

Too bad you didn't get them last week. Clearance was 35% off. The price on the G2s, even with only 15% off is pretty good too.  If you can wait, they may give another sale starting in a week or two. You can get the 2s for the same price as the 1s.