Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Had an odd weekend.  The club I helped create actually has another goalie, who is the starting goalie (my decision, he's better than I am, with more experience, and would be better for the club) with an aim for him to move to A Grade when our club has an A grade team next season, while I take the spot in B Grade.  However, apparently I got noticed in the first few games I played for them, and I was approached by another club to fill in for their unavailable goalie.  I thought I needed the experience, so why not.

Had a great game on Saturday, eventually winning in a shootout.  It went so well, that they asked me back for their game on Sunday...  Against my club...

After some arguments for and against inside my own head, I contacted the other leaders in my club and asked what I should do...  The overall view was that I should do it for the experience, as well as being able to offer some insight to our guys as to what the other goalie is seeing, and use it as an opportunity for them to learn something too.  I told them I wasn't going to go easy, and planned to play the best game I could.  The club coaches response was that he wouldn't want me as part of the team if I was planning on anything else (got to respect that).

Well, the team I was playing for won 4-2 - One goal against was the third shot in a flurry, and the second one was a great shot that pulled me out of position just enough to open a long side snipe in the last 20 seconds of the game.  

Came back with some advice for the forwards as well as the defence for my club, but felt terrible beating them.

I'm playing again for my club next weekend, so hoping we can get our first win on the board.

Edited by magnets
  • Like 2

Hahaha "low intermediate" pickup.  Actually it was pretty evenly balanced, mostly C+ with scattered D's. 

Among the worst annoyances as a goalie is when a puck hits you in the face and still goes in.  This did not happen tonight, but I did get hit square in the forehead and now I do not feel so good.  (my leg and shoulder also hurt, which was expected, so I am just a hot broken mess at this time). 

What I should do: rest.

What I will probably not do: rest.

7 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Hahaha "low intermediate" pickup.  Actually it was pretty evenly balanced, mostly C+ with scattered D's. 

Among the worst annoyances as a goalie is when a puck hits you in the face and still goes in.  This did not happen tonight, but I did get hit square in the forehead and now I do not feel so good.  (my leg and shoulder also hurt, which was expected, so I am just a hot broken mess at this time). 

What I should do: rest.

What I will probably not do: rest.

I always tend to make cage saves, LOL. I have had a few pucks bounce off of the top of my helmet, which is always weird. It is embarassing when the puck bounces off of my helmet and in behind me. At least pucks shot straight onto the stick aren't going in any more.

I do hope that you rest. It sounds like you need it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I always tend to make cage saves, LOL. I have had a few pucks bounce off of the top of my helmet, which is always weird. It is embarassing when the puck bounces off of my helmet and in behind me. At least pucks shot straight onto the stick aren't going in any more.

I do hope that you rest. It sounds like you need it.

It just feels like a karmic insult.  Like, if I'm going to get clanked in the face, at least let it not go in.  

I couldn't get my gear upstairs (it has to live in my room, on the second floor) last night or this morning so I guess I have to swallow my pride and take it easy for the rest of the week.  I just feel so guilty when I don't play or work out. :/

If you don't feel well after taking a shot to the mask, it's time for a new mask.  End of story.  If you're buying a new retail mask, it has to cost more than $500.  Your absolute best bet would be a CCM 9000 if you can find one.  They are very good masks for the money, and should be on clearance now for under $400.

At the absolute least, go buy a Maltese mask kit for your existing mask.

Edit:  If you can swing it, this is a fantastic deal.  CCM masks were designed by Protechsport.  Even the 9000 is a very good mask.  This Pro will be a little lighter.  But both shells are very rigid and protective.

http://goalie.totalhockey.com/product/CCM_Pro_Goalie_Mask_-_2014_Model_SENIOR/itm/12758-41/?dvdit=1

Edited by psulion22

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

If you're buying a new retail mask, it has to cost more than $500.  

I disagree with this statement. The NME8 is $400. Though I would agree that I wouldn't go below $400 for sure.

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

If you don't feel well after taking a shot to the mask, it's time for a new mask.  End of story.  If you're buying a new retail mask, it has to cost more than $500.  Your absolute best bet would be a CCM 9000 if you can find one.  They are very good masks for the money, and should be on clearance now for under $400.

At the absolute least, go buy a Maltese mask kit for your existing mask.

Edit:  If you can swing it, this is a fantastic deal.  CCM masks were designed by Protechsport.  Even the 9000 is a very good mask.  This Pro will be a little lighter.  But both shells are very rigid and protective.

http://goalie.totalhockey.com/product/CCM_Pro_Goalie_Mask_-_2014_Model_SENIOR/itm/12758-41/?dvdit=1

From my understanding hearing from all over Protechsport had nothing to do with the new line of CCM masks.

13 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I disagree with this statement. The NME8 is $400. Though I would agree that I wouldn't go below $400 for sure.

I don't know that the NME8 is as rigid as other masks.  I wouldn't go below a NME10.  For that same ~$399, I'd definitely go with the CCM 9000 instead.  And really, I'd go with a Protechsport fiberglass or Sportmask X8 for less than $400 US.

12 minutes ago, Hills said:

From my understanding hearing from all over Protechsport had nothing to do with the new line of CCM masks.

I thought the shell layup in the 9000 was still the same as the fiberglass PTS?  They aren't made by PTS anymore, but they are still using the shell makeup that Michel designed.  Now they are adding carbon fiber and removing some of the Kevlar to the Pro model to reduce weight.

Just now, psulion22 said:

I don't know that the NME8 is as rigid as other masks.  I wouldn't go below a NME10.  For that same ~$399, I'd definitely go with the CCM 9000 instead.  And really, I'd go with a Protechsport fiberglass or Sportmask X8 for less than $400 US.

That's fair, we all have preferences. I have two NME8s and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't go with the CCM9000 because I don't find CCM masks to be comfortable. 

Ideally yes, something full custom would be better. I'd just have to put Maltese in those because I hate masks that have the white/cream foam in them. I find them very uncomfortable. My next mask will likely be a Bauer 950X now that they're using their XRD foam. Tried one on at Winterfest and that XRD foam is super comfortable. Huge fan. Finally the Profile series is something I would consider buying! 

Just now, OptimusReim said:

That's fair, we all have preferences. I have two NME8s and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't go with the CCM9000 because I don't find CCM masks to be comfortable. 

Ideally yes, something full custom would be better. I'd just have to put Maltese in those because I hate masks that have the white/cream foam in them. I find them very uncomfortable. My next mask will likely be a Bauer 950X now that they're using their XRD foam. Tried one on at Winterfest and that XRD foam is super comfortable. Huge fan. Finally the Profile series is something I would consider buying! 

Yes, very true.  Fit is important.  I don't like the fit and shape of Bauer masks.  So I stay away from them.  But just in terms of shell layup and rigidity, I believe the NME8 is inferior to all that I mentioned, so for that price I'd go with something else.  I do know that the NME8 is very popular though.  The new XRD foam does look comfy.

I'm actually wearing a Sportmask T3 with Maltese kit, and the thing is bulletproof.  For the money, the TGC spec Sportmask Pro-Fs are the best masks on the market, IMO.  Roughly $400 for a full pro- glass and fiber layup with size and spec options can't be beat.  

53 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

I thought the shell layup in the 9000 was still the same as the fiberglass PTS?  They aren't made by PTS anymore, but they are still using the shell makeup that Michel designed.  Now they are adding carbon fiber and removing some of the Kevlar to the Pro model to reduce weight.

People evidently have asked him about his involvement and which he said he had nothing to do with the new CCM line at all.

The shell itself is different than Protechsports (much more round compared to CCM) but the makeup might be copied.

28 minutes ago, Hills said:

People evidently have asked him about his involvement and which he said he had nothing to do with the new CCM line at all.

The shell itself is different than Protechsports (much more round compared to CCM) but the makeup might be copied.

Yeah, the shell shape is different.  But I believe the shell makeup in the 9000 is the same as it was before, and is in his fiberglass shells.  The Pro is different because they added CF, which he won't use.  The profile from the side is still very PTS looking to me as well.  It the forehead and shape from the front that has changed.

Edited by psulion22

Well, I'm wearing a CCM 9000 now.  So.  (I just got it last ... August?  Might've been July.) 

It's possible I just felt crappy due to being dehydrated and sleep deprived.  I'll look into throwing some extra padding in there for shock absorption.  I'm probably not playing this weekend anyway, from every other body part going pear-shaped.

Edited by badger_14

There's always going to be a "shit happens" factor, too. Also, no mask is concussion-proof. They're made to prevent fracture, not to prevent concussions. And of course, taking one of the mask is never going to feel great. 

No mask is concussion proof for sure.  A CCM 9000 is a solid mask.  Adding Maltese to it will make it better.  If you are getting ringers or not feeling well more than this one isolated incident, it's time for a new mask.  Head shots aren't going to tickle, but they shouldn't be giving you those types of things either.

1 minute ago, badger_14 said:

I would describe it as an isolated incident.  I mean, I basically took the puck right between the eyes from point-blank range.

On the cage? Or on the forehead? The forehead is the safest place to be hit, by far. If the cage, check for dents. If there are any, replace it. Cages are meant to dent!

I, on the other hand, was stupid and turned my head and took one right near the ear holes. My head was fine but GOOD GOD were my ears ever ringing. Somebody might as well have shot a gun off right beside my head. SO LOUD. 

On the border of cage and mask, if I recall correctly.  No dents, all fine.  Brain is functioning well enough to parse my Russian homework with no more difficulty than usual.

A little extra padding, I think. 

I am also on the "it doesn't have to cost $500" wagon, as well. But I also feel that helmets are better than masques. Yes, you have the jiggle factor IF you don't fit it properly. Yes, you don't have some lower jaw protection. But I have taken HARD shots to the noggin, and none made me feel sick and not much ear ringing, either. I admit there is some space between my head and my helmet with foam. i have been run twice and having the extra security of a solid shell has been worth it for me. 

I digress, it could just be that Shawn Shroeder designs a superior helmet. He takes everything into account, and he KNOWS composite material; there are a few bad designs out there. 

@badger_14 You probably DID have a flukey accident. I seriously hope you are okay. 

• Like 1

@OptimusReim You know, it's a good thing that it's the beginning of the month, and that I worked extra hours the past two weeks, because one of those kits is roughly 1/3 of my usual weekly earnings...

@bunnyman666 I seem to be okay.  If there is hockey this weekend, I probably won't play, and with everything else going on I'll probably skip the softball double-header as well.  Resting is healing, as the hospitals are fond of saying. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

@OptimusReim You know, it's a good thing that it's the beginning of the month, and that I worked extra hours the past two weeks, because one of those kits is roughly 1/3 of my usual weekly earnings...

@bunnyman666 I seem to be okay.  If there is hockey this weekend, I probably won't play, and with everything else going on I'll probably skip the softball double-header as well.  Resting is healing, as the hospitals are fond of saying. 

Wait, what? They're only $90. Aren't you an EMT??

EMTs don't really make much more than minimum wage.  (certainly not one with less than a year's experience on the job), and I'm also still only working part time.   (part time on EMT job, part time at the gym, part time altogether).  It's been a while since I was totally dysfunctionally sick, but I'm still working back into being stable and working a full 40 hour week.

Edited by badger_14

3 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

EMTs don't really make much more than minimum wage.  (certainly not one with less than a year's experience on the job), and I'm also still only working part time. 

Gotcha!