Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

I think I played poorly, but I will blame it on my knee being well overdue for a cortisone shot.  When the adrenaline kicked in and I didn't hurt, it was fine.  I have been doing a lot of wall-ball and hand eye stuff, and I think my reactions are much quicker.

I got a 5-pack of goalie lessons for my birthday, which I intend to parcel out after the ortho checks me over week after next.  Looking forward to it.  

• Like 2

I didn’t get to go to the GGSU camp this year, but there is a weekend camp locally. The photos are mostly kids but the guy assured me adults are welcome. 

I figure with all the times I’ve complained about not having ice time to practice skills and be coached, I can’t say no to the opportunity. $200 for 6 hours spread over all three evenings is perfect, especially since my game isn’t until 9:30 Sunday anyway. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

On 7/14/2017 at 3:49 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Pickup from Tuesday night. I got SHELLED. I have never played behind D this bad. This was by far the most lopsided teams I’ve ever seen playing this pickup. Normally the guy that organizes it puts up the teams on the locker room wall, and then the players adjust if they need to. They really should have. 

Youll see a couple times where we couldn’t get the puck out or gave it right back to them. That was pretty much the entire night. You’re only seeing a small fraction of the times it happened. Staying in your stance and just moving around the crease non-stop is crazy tiring. 

By the end, once the puck was cleared I’d often just stay on my knees. 

Theres a couple plays where I’m not even remotely square leaving a whole side of the net open. I just wasn’t able to find the puck through the bodies! 

What's the alarm thing?

Mark

4 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

What's the alarm thing?

Mark

Notifications for line changes. The two lines st this pickup are different skill levels so everyone generally changes at the same time. One siren is 15 seconds left, 2 sirens is change time. Usually once the first siren goes they finish the current play and change.

Peoppe day it’s annoying in the videos but I don’t even notice it anymore.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I didn’t get to go to the GGSU camp this year, but there is a weekend camp locally. The photos are mostly kids but the guy assured me adults are welcome. 

I figure with all the times I’ve complained about not having ice time to practice skills and be coached, I can’t say no to the opportunity. $200 for 6 hours spread over all three evenings is perfect, especially since my game isn’t until 9:30 Sunday anyway. 

That sounds like a great opportunity!  Enjoy. 

6-4 loss. Now 0-4 on the season.

I think I may have a total of 7-8 regular season wins since I came back from injury, yet have two championships. Go figure.

EDIT: oh god it’s even worse than I thought. 9-17 in the last 26 games. 

Wb0qDfg.jpg 

I’m also 0-2 during that span subbing in rookie league, but we also played the top team that has about 3-4 guys who should be about 1-2 levels higher and they crush everyone AND it’s rookie league where it’s nothing but bad bounces, so I don’t feel too bad about those.

But man, my D5 league play is garbage. 

4-0 in playoff games though, so I guess that’s all that matters?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

4-0 in playoff games thouh, so I guess that’s all that matters?

Do you feel that your team rises to the occasion come playoff time? 

The team I played D for won the league back to back the past 2 years, each year we came 4th in regular season and then come playoffs we put on the serious face and actually played some defence and scored a few more than we normally would.  Your team could be similar?

I think I've said before that alot of your videos show guys coming in alone in good scoring areas, that looks alot like regular season defence!

Just now, rusty_black said:

Do you feel that your team rises to the occasion come playoff time? 

The team I played D for won the league back to back the past 2 years, each year we came 4th in regular season and then come playoffs we put on the serious face and actually played some defence and scored a few more than we normally would.  Your team could be similar?

I think I've said before that alot of your videos show guys coming in alone in good scoring areas, that looks alot like regular season defence!

Definitely. Almost zero grade-A scoring chances in the playoffs. Shots all come from the outside. No breakaways. Definitely a better team in front of me come playoff time. The fact that we get anywhere from 6-12 skaters every game probably doesn't help. It's different people playing together every game. The cycle game we used to have has gone to crap.

Though this team now has almost no original members. Only two guys have been on the team longer than me. We have 5 guys who moved up from rookie league in the last 12 months. 

We lost our two best defensemen after last season, too. 

Also just to be clear, unless I'm in a red jersey, it's just pickup. We have uniforms for our pickups here. So the D is way worse in those (especially in that last video). 

I had my game against the top team on Sunday night.  We got completely dominated. I was gassed midway through the game.  

I somehow kept them scoreless through the 3rd until they got a SH breakaway and scored with 8 mins left .  I stuck with him the whole way but got beat as I didn't slide very well, but i'll take pride in the fact I didn't bite or drop down early.

They scored a second off a bull***t deflection off a skate with 2 mins left then we pulled me with a bit to go to try get one back but they scored an EN.

Easily my best game I've played, I wanted to use this as a measuring stick to see how I had improved and I have for sure.   I was expecting a 4-5 goal  30 shot game, but to come out with 40/42 i'm stoked.

Edited by rusty_black
uploaded shorter video

10 hours ago, rusty_black said:

I had my game against the top team on Sunday night.  We got completely dominated. I was gassed midway through the game.

I somehow kept them scoreless through the 3rd until they got a SH breakaway and scored with 8 mins left .  I stuck with him the whole way but got beat as I didn't slide very well, but i'll take pride in the fact I didnt bite ro drop down early.

They scored a second off a bull***t deflection off a skate with 2 mins left then we pulled me with a bit to go to try get one back but they scored an EN.

Also at 12.45ish there's something you might like!

Easily my best game I've played, I wanted to use this as a measuring stick to see how I had improved and I have for sure.   I was expecting a 4-5 goal  30 shot game, but to come out with 40/42 i'm stoked.

I also use this video for our team to teach them about how breakouts work and what happens if we dont breakout properly, so there are a couple of clips where they enter the zone but no shots come.

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, would you be able to edit your video down a bit more? Cut it down to just goals and saves so we're not watching a bunch of video of guys skating around ;)

Looking good, though. Nice squareness and depth, for the most part! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, would you be able to edit your video down a bit more? Cut it down to just goals and saves so we're not watching a bunch of video of guys skating around ;)

Looking good, though. Nice squareness and depth, for the most part! 

Fair enough, have edited the original video to just shots/goals. 

Thanks! I think im getting a lot better at being more square, which is making it easier for me, those videos a couple pages back definitely helped.   I also had another goalie call me over and tell me an easy way to check where you are without looking back too much is to try hit the post with your stick/blocker then make the adjustment as you come out to challenge the play. That seems to work better than turning around to look at the post like I was doing a few weeks ago.

My photobucket isn't working but it was the boxscore showing 42 shots to 9!  My guys were gassed in the 3rd as they were literally just chasing them around all game long, but they didn't give up at all so that was great to see as a Goalie. I think the fact that I was keeping the score low it gave them hope that they just needed one good shot and they could win, so they just kept going, but eventually the skill descrepency got the best of us.

The team we played is currently 10-1 and only let in 13 goals all season.  Hopefully they lose a few players to the higher division next year as the other 5 teams are only separated by 9 points  (we have 3pts for a win) so its actually quite an even league apart from that one team.

I've booked a month off Hockey as we're expecting our first baby next week, so i'll have to live vicariously through you guys here.

Where do you put your gopro?  I have a clamp mount and clamp it on the top on the glass with the camera just sitting above, the refs know its there but arent too fussed.   Also what software do you use for the videos?  Yours look way clearer than mine.

Edited by rusty_black

10 hours ago, rusty_black said:

Fair enough, have edited the original video to just shots/goals. 

Thanks! I think im getting a lot better at being more square, which is making it easier for me, those videos a couple pages back definitely helped.   I also had another goalie call me over and tell me an easy way to check where you are without looking back too much is to try hit the post with your stick/blocker then make the adjustment as you come out to challenge the play. That seems to work better than turning around to look at the post like I was doing a few weeks ago.

My photobucket isn't working but it was the boxscore showing 42 shots to 9!  My guys were gassed in the 3rd as they were literally just chasing them around all game long, but they didn't give up at all so that was great to see as a Goalie. I think the fact that I was keeping the score low it gave them hope that they just needed one good shot and they could win, so they just kept going, but eventually the skill descrepency got the best of us.

The team we played is currently 10-1 and only let in 13 goals all season.  Hopefully they lose a few players to the higher division next year as the other 5 teams are only separated by 9 points  (we have 3pts for a win) so its actually quite an even league apart from that one team.

I've booked a month off Hockey as we're expecting our first baby next week, so i'll have to live vicariously through you guys here.

Where do you put your gopro?  I have a clamp mount and clamp it on the top on the glass with the camera just sitting above, the refs know its there but arent too fussed.   Also what software do you use for the videos?  Yours look way clearer than mine.

I use the suction mount on the glass. I can mount it on the outside easily enough, it just means I only get two periods if we’re the home team and only one period if we’re the visitors since you can’t get to the glass at one end of the rink. 

For editing, I use Final Cut Pro. I started using iMovie which is probably sufficient for most people, and free, and has almost an identical interface. Moved to FCP a while back and love it. I also use an inexpensive shuttle for editing the clips: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001DBEKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-uWBzbBPVBKA7

First day of camp last night. BRUTAL. First some skating to warm up, then stretching, and that was followed by what seemed like FOREVER doing shuffles. That absolutely destroyed my lower back and feet. First time ever I’ve had foot pain after switching to VH. 

All went downhill from there. They set up about 8 “stations” for drills and had us split into groups of 3 or 4. I’d make it though the first 30 seconds of a drill, but then I was done. Back hurt way too much to continue. Ended up sitting out a bunch of drills :(

I’m planning on loading up on Advil and going back today but we’ll see if I bother with Sunday or not. 

One thing I should mention is that while the actual skill level was just fine, I don’t feel like I was getting the things out of this camp I was hoping for. An hour of basics instruction would easily be more useful to me personally than six hours of crossfit-like drills (where it’s all speed and no emphasis on the mechanics of the movements). 

For example, my group is three middle aged adult men and none of us can do a proper t-push. So instead of cycling through the drills with the kids, maybe take us to one corner and work with us on that? I’m going to ask the head coach if that’s something we might be able to do.

• Like 1

I'd like to hope (depending on the counselor to camper ratio - I will assume you're all in a group of your own with no kids) that the head coach would be okay with having your drills modified a bit, since that's what should be happening with a broad range of skill levels anyway.  It's absolutely worth a shot, especially if the other guys are having trouble, too. 

I've found there's an irksome emphasis on speed-speed-speed in a lot of youth stuff, even at the beginner level - there's a push to keep kids from bumbling around in line, sure, but some folks take it as "do absolutely everything as fast as you can, even if you don't actually know how to do it", so that may just be the nature of this camp and the attitude of the organizers.  Hopefully, it works out.  :)

Tried a different painkiller today, and a knee-strap (which generally is just whistling in the dark), and on the whole felt much better.  It's still pear-shaped (not literally) and I need to see the ortho (Tuesday can't come soon enough) but it was fine for an hour-and-change of hockey. 

Aside from that, I played much better than the past few weeks.  I let in some stupid goals (etc, etc.) but a few different people remarked on improved quickness - I was all over the puck and tracking it, I thought, very well.  There were situations where previously I would have lost track but I didn't this time.  I've been working very hard (or at least, dutifully) on hand-eye coordination with a tennis ball, a wall, and any spare minutes I have.  I try to do like 5-10 minutes a day (on average - gym days it's more, school days I have to squeeze it in during breaks).  Just variations on a theme - throw, catch, repeat, throw with one hand, catch with the other, throw-catch with one hand, do all of it on one leg, do it on the other leg, etc.  Surprising what a difference that's made.  I'm looking forward to scheduling a lesson for this week after seeing the ortho.  It's probably just flaring arthritis and I'm due for a couple of cortisone shots.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

I'd like to hope (depending on the counselor to camper ratio - I will assume you're all in a group of your own with no kids) that the head coach would be okay with having your drills modified a bit, since that's what should be happening with a broad range of skill levels anyway.  It's absolutely worth a shot, especially if the other guys are having trouble, too. 

I've found there's an irksome emphasis on speed-speed-speed in a lot of youth stuff, even at the beginner level - there's a push to keep kids from bumbling around in line, sure, but some folks take it as "do absolutely everything as fast as you can, even if you don't actually know how to do it", so that may just be the nature of this camp and the attitude of the organizers.  Hopefully, it works out.  :)

Today I noticed a significant change in how the coaches are handling my group. Quite a bit slower and a lot more instruction. 

I still had to sit out some of the drills after a few reps but I’m pushing myself as hard as I can. My back was a bit better today and some adrenaline taking some actual shots was really helping. A lot of up/down and shuffles etc when the adrenaline isn’t flowing gets really tiring. 

I’m terrified about tomorrow since I have to pretty much come home, throw my under gear in the wash, and head back out to my game. No way my stuff will be dry in time. Almost considering wearing my old gloves to camp tomorrow so my good ones are still dry for the game. But man it’s gonna be brutal.

• Like 1

Last week's pickup. We were ridiculously short, and ended up playing 3-on-3 half ice. It was actually kind of fun, but definitely happy it's rare. I played pretty decently for the most part and only got beaten by some really good shots for the most part.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

SummerJam! 

Did you edit that on the plane? That was fast!

Edited by Hills

23 minutes ago, Hills said:

Did you edit that on the plane? That was fast!

At the airport waiting for my flight :)

20 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Got the shot of me popping the water bottle!  Nice!

Haha it seems to be a thing for me. The last three times on the ice it’s happened. I need to actually USE the warrior bottle holders!

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

At the airport waiting for my flight :)

Haha it seems to be a thing for me. The last three times on the ice it’s happened. I need to actually USE the warrior bottle holders!

Or just make sure you don't play with dicks... Haha

6 hours ago, Hills said:

Or just make sure you don't play with dicks... Haha

I don't think Dave will be barred from future MSH events, so that's not an option ;) hahah