Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

New Jersey Devils 2014-15

1-0 to start the season! That defense letting in 3 after being up 3-0 worries me though.

I also noticed most of the team wearing what looks like Warrior AX2 gloves, unless they are in AX1's with a AX2/custom color scheme.

While this is the first obvious and open implementation of this concept, I wouldn't be shocked if something at least a bit similar hasn't been done in the past. The Coyotes have made Playfair an associate coach for the defense. That would imply more responsibility than a typical assistant, no?

While this is the first obvious and open implementation of this concept, I wouldn't be shocked if something at least a bit similar hasn't been done in the past. The Coyotes have made Playfair an associate coach for the defense. That would imply more responsibility than a typical assistant, no?

Most teams have one coach that is responsible for changing defense and working with them on the bench, that part is nothing new. The issue that I see in NJ, is that there is no one person given the job of being the guy in charge. I'm thinking that both guys are being given a shot at the head coaching job and this is an audition for both of them. If that's the case, you have to wonder if the "loser" will be back next year.

If it doesn't work, the consensus amongst many Devils fans is that they're okay with it. They understand that the majority of forwards on the current roster are old and injury prone and that a high draft pick may help with sparking a rebuild of sorts. Rebuild's tough when they don't have too many assets and they've drafted horribly for years.

If it doesn't work, the consensus amongst many Devils fans is that they're okay with it. They understand that the majority of forwards on the current roster are old and injury prone and that a high draft pick may help with sparking a rebuild of sorts. Rebuild's tough when they don't have too many assets and they've drafted horribly for years.

But, but, but, Lou's a genius. Everyone on TV says so.

But, but, but, Lou's a genius. Everyone on TV says so.

He's out of touch with what's needed to build a winner in the post lockout NHL. They desperately need a new voice in management and overhaul of the scouting staff. He's got those dumb policies regarding what numbers players can wear, hair length and not discussing contracts during the season. The downfall started with Niedermayer's departure and has continued since.

While I agree that Lou's reputation has taken a beating recently, I do wonder how out of touch he is. He did bring in a stats guy this summer, so it seems he is paying some attention to the newer ways of evaluating players. And the Devils aren't too long removed from some successful seasons.

At the end of the day an NHL teams' success is very dependent on success in the draft. And scouting still seems to be a black art to me, with a lot of luck involved.

Conte's definitely done a poor job at drafting the past few years. Very few make it past the AHL, first round picks have barely panned out. But that may also have been their mishandling during development. The Devils need a top center and a bunch of right wings. Preferably under 30 and without injury history.