Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aviery

2015 NHL All Star Game

So Doc just alluded to a story about the car given away at the 1984 game, something about the car being sold 3 months later thanks to a speeding ticket. Does anyone know the story?

I looked briefly, but nothing showed up. Don Maloney was the MVP, but anything more will take additional digging.

I'd bet he would have if Honda didn't jump on the PR wagon.

We will never know, will we? He should not have dragged Honda into his special cause.

We will never know, will we? He should not have dragged Honda into his special cause.

Huh? Why not? She's a special kid and Ovi seemed genuinely moved. Why not bring to bear whatever we can to ease suffering and make a person happier?

Huh? Why not? She's a special kid and Ovi seemed genuinely moved. Why not bring to bear whatever we can to ease suffering and make a person happier?

Of course it is a good cause and yes he was genuinely moved, I am not questioning that. My point is that Ovie should have stepped up and bought the car and not dragged Honda into it.

How did he "drag Honda into it"? He tried to win the car and then Honda surprised him with one that he could donate when he didn't.

Honda became involved only AFTER telling everyone he wanted the car for a charitable cause. Win the car?....score 10 goals and be the MVP. Enough of this, obviously you and I have a very different ethical and moral perception of what transpired.

Ovie gets three assists and plays unselfishly, and now people are complaining he didn't play selfishly enough? The amount of good PR and free advertisement Honda got from it more than outweighs the cost if the car. The all-star game is a spectacle, I thought it was mildly funny that he was campaigning for the car. He probably would have bought one had he not gotten one, but I had a feeling that Honda was in on it from the beginning.

Honda became involved only AFTER telling everyone he wanted the car for a charitable cause. Win the car?....score 10 goals and be the MVP. Enough of this, obviously you and I have a very different ethical and moral perception of what transpired.

Quick question: when you take a shower, do you leave your tinfoil hat on, or remove it?

Honda became involved only AFTER telling everyone he wanted the car for a charitable cause.

Honda went to him and asked him about it after the draft. It didn't go public until they offered to give the car to the charity.

Regardless, it's called awareness. It's like the ice bucket challenge. One could easily just donate money to ALS if they wanted to support that cause and not dumped cold water on themselves. The act is done to make people more aware of life outside their own. Ovi gives his time AND money for charitable deeds both here and back at home, for him, in Russia. We don't hear about it as much because that's the he wants it. By him 'making a scene about a car he could easily afford,' he allowed people to know about Ice Dogs and programs that are a like. And Honda isn't stupid. They know that there will be people, both hockey fans and those outside looking in, that will consider buying a Honda now based solely on emotion. The 'I want to be part of a good thing' feeling. Everyone wins.

Watching the ASG, I didn't mind the white jerseys with the lime green trim. The black looked a bit harsh. Understanding that the jerseys obviously need to be contrasting, maybe do the same thing, but use a charcoal grey. Still dark, but maybe matching the green a bit better.

Heard a few media guys say that the black on black numbers were HORRIBLE to call from the pressbox...especially with everyone wearing their own numbers...so there were a couple 91's etc...They need some contrasting colours.

I thought it was foolish when I heard they let guys wear duplicate numbers. The deference to veterans out of respect was one of the nice things about the ASG.