Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdellaringa

Help finding the right skate

I see earlier in the thread that you spoke to Total Hockey. It looks like there are 5 in IL. I know the one in Troy, MI that JR manages had an impressive array of inline skates of all levels and various brands when I visited. You can check on their website to see what skates and sizes the local locations carry (select a skate and size, click "find in store" and choose your area from the drop down). For example, the Schaumberg shop carries RBZ 80 in a 7D - the RBZ are responsive to heat and are a wider fit. I see you usually wear a 7.5 in most brands according to your original post, but sizing varies from skate to skate and most people ended up going down at least a half size when moving from another skate to the RBZ. Generally, all I see in Ontario, Canada in the big box stores are lower end Mission/Bauer skates - it'd be nice if one of the stores had the type of inline selection I saw at the Total Hockey in Michigan.

Obviously, the best thing to do is to try the inline skates on in person if possible, but if you can't do that then you should be able to try on the ice equivalents for some brands. The CCM Tacks and RBZ ice skates will fit like the inline counterparts and so will the Vapor skates. To get an idea of the fit of the current Mission model skates you should try on the higher end Supremes as the Missions are built on the Supreme last. Alkali and Tour don't have ice boot equivalents.

Another option would of course be to convert a pair of ice skates to roller hockey skates if you can find a good deal on the skates - this is generally a bit more expensive than getting inlines if you don't already have wheels and bearings to use (plus there's the mounting cost of between $20-$40), however; it does allow you to pick your parts. I personally use Easton Makos with Sprungs and Revision Steel wheels; that's a setup I like, but is only available via the conversion route. The Makos fit better than any inline boot or the ice equivalent I've tried and the Sprungs provide a more ice like feel than the flat chassis I've tried in the past.

Apparently most of the TH stores have reduced their inline inventory. Not sure why. There's another one that's in decent driving distance, I am going to call them today to see what they have.

I edited my post - you can save yourself a call and just look online to see what the stores in your area have in stock. Just select various skates and sizes and then click find in store. The 7D RBZ 80 skate in Schaumburg might be worth trying on (as mentioned above the RBZ is a wider skate, is responsive to head and fit big for most. Most people moving to RBZ from other brands dropped down at least a half size).

I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that inline Vapors were wider than ice Vapors because inline is the only model Bauer makes for inline so they had to be able to fit a broader range of feet. Good luck finding something that fits OP.

After talking to Inline Warehouse, I am hoping to switch to this skate - CCM RBZ 90, which is on clearance. This is a wider width skate normally that he claims should work for me.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_RBZ_90_Roller_Hockey_Skates_Sr/descpage-C90SS.html

I am waiting to hear back on the terms of my return. The guy on the phone was claiming since I heat molded them that may void returning them, which to me is BS - you can heat mold these things all week long. That's supposed to be the point I thought.

Thanks for the reply,

I saw in another thread I think that you were 6 size in Alkalis. Did you measure your length foot ?

I measured mine and I obtain 24.2 or 24.3 cm. It seems that I should be somewhere between 5.5 or 6 size? But I think Alkali doesn’t sell half sizes for juniors.

Sorry for all these questions, but we don’t have many choices here in Europe.

By the way, what do you think of the boot itself of the CCM tacks?

I have tacks (top of the line) ice skates and shift+ Alkalis. I wont comment on weight, as thats not a fair comparison. Ice skates will always be lighter. Because alkalis fit so well, they don't feel very heavy on your feet.

If i was in your position, I'd try on what feels comfier for you.

I'd personally stick with Alkali..they specialize in solely roller hockey. As long as you get the length correct, the width will be fine with a heat mold.

It might be the best choice.

The CCM RBZ are said to be the widest skates. (At least at heel, don’t know about the toe box)

After talking to Inline Warehouse, I am hoping to switch to this skate - CCM RBZ 90, which is on clearance. This is a wider width skate normally that he claims should work for me.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_RBZ_90_Roller_Hockey_Skates_Sr/descpage-C90SS.html

I am waiting to hear back on the terms of my return. The guy on the phone was claiming since I heat molded them that may void returning them, which to me is BS - you can heat mold these things all week long. That's supposed to be the point I thought.

Hey Nak.

My feet measure up as 25.5cm (my bigger foot). The CCM tacks 5.5EE say 24.8cm on the label. My big toe takes me to 25.5..but the rest of my toes line up with 25cm..hence the ccms actually fit fine. Its weird..even though the insoles are a measurable length..you really need to try the skates on!

Id say youd probably want to try on a jr size to be sure.

However if you are in europe (im in the UK btw), you may have trouble with top end alkali jr skates (you may have to ask your local shop to order in specially.

The other thing is try CCM tacks inline skates they only go up to the mid end 5R52 skate in a JR. I think the CCM could be a good option for you want a readily available boot. The heat fit on the tacks is awesome too. Also..CCM seem to have a similar pitch to the Alkali skates..an aggressive forward lean..which i love on my alkalis.

Hi sss1987,

Wow that is quite a big difference ... some guys in Alkali thread claimed a perfect fit with 25cm/6.5 size skate.

I was hesitating to get them online but I really need to find a store to try what fits me best.

It all depends on how you measure your feet. If you "draw" a tracing around them, you can get a different length than say from a brannock measure or foot against the wall measure. My feet are 25.5cm's in length based on a wall / brannock measure and I'm in 6.5 Alkalis with my toes just off the toes caps when laced up tight. Getting into a 6 with 25cm long feet will be a tight or perfect fit depending on your preference for fit. IF you are 24.2 or 24.3cms then you will fit into a 6 with a little room to spare, you won't comfortably get into a 5 unless you lengthen the boot.

vet, out of curiosity, what Alkali range have you got? the RPD range or the RPD+ range.

The reason i ask is, last year i tried a pair of lites on in a 6, and my toe were cramped to f*cK!
Last week i tried a pair of lite+ in a 6 and was absolutely perfect.

I think there might be a discrepancy between the two ranges.

Max RPD. Most of the long time users of Alkali over here are still in the RPD range. I will have a talk to a manager of an LHS who was in CA9's and went to the Max+, lengthwise CA9's and RPD were the same so if he has found any difference in length then that would be a good indication that the length may have changed.

Or the toe box and heel pocket have got wider giving you slightly more room. This has been the trend in the alkali range over the last 3 releases.

I think that could be it.

Unless its just one of those things where the Lite+ has less internal padding then my shift+ skates and thus more room in general.

Hence..to anyone reading..its important to try on skates before you buy! lol!

For the measurement, my foot was against the wall. I put an A4 paper against the wall too and then I drew around the foot.

I tried to keep the pencil in vertical position.

For the measurement, my foot was against the wall. I put an A4 paper against the wall too and then I drew around the foot.

I tried to keep the pencil in vertical position.

Best way is to use a pencil and a ruler. Piece of A4 paper against the wall, heel against the wall on the paper, using the ruler with it standing flat (long side on the ground with it upright on it's edge) place the ruler against the end of the longest toe, mark where the ruler ends then measure from the edge of the paper to the mark.

Best way is to use a pencil and a ruler. Piece of A4 paper against the wall, heel against the wall on the paper, using the ruler with it standing flat (long side on the ground with it upright on it's edge) place the ruler against the end of the longest toe, mark where the ruler ends then measure from the edge of the paper to the mark.

I did that and I obtain 24,7 cm for left foot and 24,3 cm for right foot. Did not think it could be so different !

Well, I ended up returning the Comps and getting the CCM RBZ 90s. Inline warehouse told me they are wider for wider feet.

I went to Total Hockey and got them heat molded. I bought the CCM inserts. I put outside wheels on and went skating just now for 10 minutes or so. Feet hurt like hell, especially the right foot. WTF.

The guy at TH said when his broke in they loosened up quite a bit, I just don't know that I can make it to the break in stage. My guess is that I just need a EE wide skate. I'm stuck dealing with Inline Warehouse now because they don't refund your money, they just give you a store credit. :/

They have the CCM 5R52 in EE in my size.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_Tacks_5R52_Roller_Skates_Sz_60_EE/descpage-C5RS.html

I guess the question is how much wider is a true EE vs. the RBZ90? Will the skates break in eventually and not cause pain? I can only skate on them for so long before they become unreturnable.

This sucks!