Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tryandstopme

Rust Free/Titanium Cage Mounting Hardware

I'm wondering if there are any options out there for helmet cage mounting hardware that is made from titanium or some other form of rust free material. Specifically the top cage clips (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-acsteelcageclip.html) and the helmet screws and nuts that attach those top cage clips to the helmet. I know that Bauer and CCM make cages out of titanium, but from what I've seen they come with the same traditional steel mounting hardware that come with any other cage. I seem to have a propensity to rot those clips/screws/nuts out pretty quickly from rust even with taking steps to try and avoid it, and was hoping for another option. I'd be willing to pay a one time premium for hardware that I could slap on there and put the issue to bed for good. Thanks!

I have a bunch of plastic clips as I too don't like the rust, np w/ the hardware though. If you are really concerned make sure to dry them off after each skate. I can send you a set of clips if you can't find them local.

Buy a bag and swap them out every so often.

Chadd,

Ummmm, yeah I really want to use titanium screws because I'm trying to save some weight.... thankssssss

All kidding aside, you make a good suggestion. My inner utilitarian would rather buy two screws that will never rust and last forever as opposed to throwing out rotten screws every 4 months. It kills me because when I was really into bikes I know I had a bag of small parts and screws that I could have used. I could never say no to someone offering small parts. Someone would come up to me and say "Hey, you want these titanium screws for attaching a water bottle mount?" and I'd say "My bike weighs 45 pounds and only goes downhill, soooo......... yeah OK, hand them over...."

I have a bunch of plastic clips as I too don't like the rust, np w/ the hardware though. If you are really concerned make sure to dry them off after each skate. I can send you a set of clips if you can't find them local.

SirJW, really appreciate the offer on the clips and I might take you up on it sometime. I do wipe the screws off with a little hockey towel before putting my helmet in my bag. I guess I could do more, but that's about the extent of time that I'm willing to invest into it.

I'd buy a small sheet of 316 Stainless from here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stainless-steel-sheets/=ye72eeand make my own. A sharpie, a drill, and some tin snips is all you should need.

Mattc555, cool idea. I'd just need to find out the appropriate thickness that I'd need. One of my friends has to have a micrometer that I can borrow.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Quick Update:

I reached out to one of my old biking buddies back home and he is sending me a bag of titanium button head 8-32 screws that are 3/8" in length (Torx). When I get them I'll give them a shot and if they work, I'll have extras to spare. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Cheers,

e

I bought a Bauer titanium cage a few months ago and was irritated when I saw it didn't come with titanium hardware.

I haven't had the time to look for the proper parts. If you feel ambitious mcmastercar.com is a good place to start. I use them all the time for stuff at work.

Update:

Got the screws and installed them. The circumference of the head of the new titanium screws are smaller than the original cage screws, but they fit and work just fine. I have a few extra pairs so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Folks that have already sent me a PM, I'll send you an PM to make sure you're still interested and will get your details if so.

Here's a shot of the hardware installed:

Cage%20Hardware.jpg