Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beedee

"TWIGZ" is going away

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I thought I would share something I learned last Friday. Yeah the name sucks, but I love my TWIGZ stick, and you couldn't beat the price.

I was in Goalie Monkey last week and saw they were very low on the brand and asked if they were getting more in. I was informed they were not and that Brians (who made TWIGZ) saw how successful the TWIGZ brand was (was told Brians loved how well all the color options of TWIGZ were selling) and decided to end the brand and start making all those color options available under the Brians name.

I'm okay with this. I didn't realize they were Brian's. I'd be 100% more likely to buy them with Brian's on them instead of Twigz.

That said, I've already moved on from Twigz. AWESOME budget sticks for sure, but I'm absolutely loving the passes I'm able to make with my Warrior.

Interesting that Brian's makes them since all of the Canadian made sticks are made out of the same heritage factory anyways. Vaughn, Simmons, Brian's, Passau, Bauer, CCM.

Unless I am completely wrong and the Heritage factory statement has been incorrect for years now.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I thought I would share something I learned last Friday. Yeah the name sucks, but I love my TWIGZ stick, and you couldn't beat the price.

I was in Goalie Monkey last week and saw they were very low on the brand and asked if they were getting more in. I was informed they were not and that Brians (who made TWIGZ) saw how successful the TWIGZ brand was (was told Brians loved how well all the color options of TWIGZ were selling) and decided to end the brand and start making all those color options available under the Brians name.

They're made by Heritage.

Heritage is making those for GM, making Christian under license for Total Hockey, and making Brian's/Vaughn et al.

What probably happened there is that Monkey is building up business with Brian's (which was an account they didn't have for a long time) and are bringing in their sticks at a price that doesn't justify them cutting out the middle man.

I just wish that Heritage could make the Curtis Curve for goal sticks. I don't care if it's Christian, Brian's, or Heritage's own brand/whomever else is stamping their name on Heritage. I'm doing fine by buying a larger paddle than I need and shaping it that way, but I really, really want to try a Curtis Curve.

I may have to reverse engineer hockey sticks and try building some myself.

Back to the topic at hand.

I just wish that Heritage could make the Curtis Curve for goal sticks. I don't care if it's Christian, Brian's, or Heritage's own brand/whomever else is stamping their name on Heritage. I'm doing fine by buying a larger paddle than I need and shaping it that way, but I really, really want to try a Curtis Curve.

I may have to reverse engineer hockey sticks and try building some myself.

Back to the topic at hand.

I asked our goalie brand manager about that when the Christian sticks were coming in a couple years back. It's such a niche product.

I asked our goalie brand manager about that when the Christian sticks were coming in a couple years back. It's such a niche product.

I'm sure it is a niche product.

Heritage makes a great product no matter who's name is on the paddle.

Tron actually carries Heritage branded sticks on occasion. I never wanted to buy at their minimums (usually 3), and sometimes they had an oddball size (full right 22.525" paddle), but I have used their wood blades and they are serviceable. I just wonder, however, how Heritage compares to ones they make for other companies? I know that if a Tron stick is a Canada made one that Heritage made it.

I don't think you could pay me to use a Tron goalie stick. That said if it's Heritage that makes both Tron and Twigz then yes they wood sticks are pretty good.

So, I am about to do something I said I'd never do. . .

A composite stick. Anyone used one before?

The first goalie stick I ever used was composite. I hated how much vibration there was when a puck hit it.

I then tried wood, which was a nice feel but very heavy. Foam core is the best of both worlds. Light, but good feel.

That's why I never tried one before, but I was playing with one at the store the other and couldnt believe how light they were. Seemed also for played the puck and increasing blocker reaction time.

I have also noticed a ton of guys using them now, so I'm thinking the new generation is better

Halak, Pavlic, Nuvy, Anderson, Ward, Condon, Reimer, Allen (demoing in practice)

Yea they're really light and I love the shape of the paddle on the Supreme series with the flat front. I just couldn't get over the vibration.

Somebody on GGSU said today that there's 7 or 8 NHL goalies with composite sticks. Reimer is using one and that's new for him.

I'd love to use one because of the weight (and they look awesome), but hard to justify such a larger price tag for a stick that I like using less.

The Twigz foam cores were pretty great, though I got a Warrior and absolutely love the way they flex.

It's really all personal preference though I guess!

Looks like the new "TWIGZ" is here:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/sticks/sr-goalie-sticks/brians-goalie-stick-f17-sr.html

DETAILS

A Goalie Monkey exclusive, the Brian's F17 line of sticks is designed to provide high-end foam core sticks at a lower price point than the competition.

Made in Canada, the Brian's F17 line is constructed with top-quality materials, beginning with a urethane foam core paddle construction reinforced with full carbon/fiberglass laminates on the front for added stiffness and durability. The backside of the stick features a simple fiberglass laminate, allowing for the perfect amount of paddle flex while keeping weight to a minimum. The result is a ‘hard-lam’ structure, similar to that found on other high-end foam core sticks.

The shaft is constructed of a pro aspen wood core with carbon and birch veneer laminates, producing an ideal combination of stiffness and durability.

For the goalie looking for a pro-quality alternative to the more expensive top-level sticks from other manufacturers, the Brian's F17 goal stick is an unbeatable choice.

That's cool. I'd be way way WAY more likely to keep buying them having that logo on them than "TWIGZ".

Same here, I am probably going down there this weekend to check one out. And I want to pick up some off-white strapping for my mask. It currently has black strapping, which is working fine, but I like the look of the off-white better. #GGSU

Same here, I am probably going down there this weekend to check one out. And I want to pick up some off-white strapping for my mask. It currently has black strapping, which is working fine, but I like the look of the off-white better. #GGSU

Slutty. haha

BTW you have an NME8 too right? The NME specific straps (the ones with the NHL shield on the back) are actually a nice crisp white, unlike every other set of white straps I've seen that are like you said off-white. I don't know if that's better or worse for you.

Slutty. haha

BTW you have an NME8 too right? The NME specific straps (the ones with the NHL shield on the back) are actually a nice crisp white, unlike every other set of white straps I've seen that are like you said off-white. I don't know if that's better or worse for you.

Hahah. Dang, you are right about those straps being crisp white for the NME8. I was looking at the AR ones and was hoping they would work. I think there is another brand that would work with the NME8, I forget the guy on GGSU that sells the colored ones.

Hahah. Dang, you are right about those straps being crisp white for the NME8. I was looking at the AR ones and was hoping they would work. I think there is another brand that would work with the NME8, I forget the guy on GGSU that sells the colored ones.

Honestly I don't see any reason any 5 point harness wouldn't work. I just like the NME harness because the vertical strap isn't elastic.

Well instead of buying a new stick with red on it (to match our jerseys), I decided to repaint my current TWIGZ stick. I masked off all the letters and kept the paddle masked as well, wanted it to keep the character it has with all the puck marks, scrapes, etc...

Here is a pic of me in a game in its previous state. And the re-paint is on the right.

0587DEF4-A41E-4611-AE7D-6E179CDB30E8.jpg