Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

diabeticgonewild

Gloves for Sled Hockey

I have always loved hockey, but I finally found a way I can play it (sled/sledge hockey), having two rare autoimmune nerve diseases that affect my peripheral nerves.

I just played sled hockey for the first time this weekend and I had a blast and my coach encouraged me to get gloves!

I am looking for decent gloves. Because we propel our sleds using two hockey sticks with picks in them, a very tight grip is required and hockey gloves tend to wear out quicker. Also, I want a pair of gloves that do not restrict thumb movement much, as I am going to have to "switch" between stick handling and propelling mode, by moving my hands down the shafts of the sticks.

If you could please give some recommendations, it would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you on styles, cuff length, palm material, etc, but I hope someone on this website is able to assist.

I just wanted to say congrats on finding a way to get out on the ice to share in a sport we all love!

All the best in your hockey adventures and welcome to the Modsquad forums!

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you on styles, cuff length, palm material, etc, but I hope someone on this website is able to assist.

I just wanted to say congrats on finding a way to get out on the ice to share in a sport we all love!

All the best in your hockey adventures and welcome to the Modsquad forums!

Thank you so much!

Although there haven't been many replies yet, I found this thread to be useful:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/68582-glove-palm-and-gussets-a-guide-to-materials/

Warrior mid-range gloves look like a good option for me, as somebody just getting started. I don't think an anatomical fit would be ideal for me, given the amount of movement I will be doing shifting up and down the stick, as that fit tends to be more restrictive, especially with respect to wrists. A 4-roll probably would be best, at least for getting started.

There is a company called mobility sports that offers the sticks and sled components. I think they are in Indiana. Maybe they give you personal suggestions on protective equipment. Where are you located? I'm in northern Chicago and know we have a couple teams in the area. Welcome to the ice.

Maybe there are sled specific gloves, I do not know?

For most mobile thumbs, I would think the Bauer 3 piece flex thumb, or STX's cable system are what you would want. There are some other versions of the flex thumb (Warrior QR1 and some others), but I think STX and Bauer have the most easily mobile flexing inward thumb that I have tried on.

For durability, do not go top of the line ($170-200 range), as the palms are usually performance. Usually the #2 most expensive glove ($100 or so) will have a more durable palm (which is always the first piece of the glove to go).

I am not sure which palms are more slippery versus grippy, you may wanna look at this guy's post on all things glove:

http://www.prostockhockey.com/blog/pro-stock-hockey-gloves-palms/

I would guess that the sticks will have different levels of grip, but I am again no expert. Most ice hockey guys like matte sticks (no grip), a small few like the super grippy sticks. Then, alot like a happy medium, but tending toward less grippy.

There is a company called mobility sports that offers the sticks and sled components. I think they are in Indiana. Maybe they give you personal suggestions on protective equipment. Where are you located? I'm in northern Chicago and know we have a couple teams in the area. Welcome to the ice.

Thank you!

I live in Houston and we have a local team. I will ask Mobility Sports!

If you want a more mobile thumb I'd suggest looking at lower end glove, something without a locking thumb. It's not going to protect as well, specifically against hyper-extension, but will be quite a bit more flexible.

I would focus more on fit/mobility than palm durability, easy to re-palm or you could stitch extra material onto high wear areas yourself using a Speedy Stitcher.

glad you found a local team to play with! they started up a team here in Atlanta a few years back. last year my team was invited to play against them (we were in the sleds too) and let me tell you, sledge hockey is HARD!!! we had a blast though. :) nothing but respect for those men and women.

I know it sounds crazy, but if you can find an old pair of Mission Three Finger gloves those might be a great option. With the three finger gloves, you will be able to get a tighter grip on your stick, as well as more protection when you are propelling yourself. Good luck.

There are several threads on here for adding grip to sticks. Most of them don't work for more than a couple of games before you have to re-apply. The clear non-slip floor sprays last a long time but add a sandpaper like texture that may use up the palms of your gloves more quickly. I sometimes use Mueller-Stickum http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GQG9S0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00but more often than not, I just use a tape beater (the EQM for the St. Louis Blues told me that tape beaters are the only thing his players use). I like a tape beater on a non-grip stick because I can control how much grip there is.