Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

PSG (Bauer) unveils new technology to reduce slosh/mild traumatic brain injury

Interesting. I could see the band being incorperated into a neck guard (provided it's found to work).

It has been understudy and research for a couple years now. One of the men behind it showed it to me last summer in Australia. It was supposed to be ready for use this past August but they wanted to be 100% sure on the testing data. Being a former CEO of a NHL team I am pretty sure they have done abundant research and will continue to do so going forward. I was supposed to be there for the release but couldn't get away. If it could reduce concussions in sports only 10 % that would be amazing. Just have to keep studying and improving on all the products we use for the game.

This is kind of icing on the cake but they really are trying to make a product that works and not just make money.

"This is the first solution to address mTBI from inside the skull," said Bailes, a founding member of the Brain Injury Research Institute who is portrayed in the upcoming Sony Pictures film Concussion for his work to identify Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in former professional football players. "By increasing the volume of blood in the cranial cavity, there's less room for the brain to move which reduces the overall slosh effect which we believe reduces mTBI. The research results are very encouraging and we are excited to work with Performance Sports Group to continue the important research and bring this technology to market."

Side note: PSC is a late comer to this whole party though. This was basically studied and finished last year. I am sure the group just took it to PSC for marketing and sales. It will be interesting to see the PSC price as I know the original price was extremely reasonable. I am thinking it will be double or triple now they are involved.

I read about this theory/product about 12-18 months ago and my thoughts today are the same as they were then. I'm hopeful, but skeptical. Speaking as someone who has had 7 concussions, I hope it works like they think it will. It's certainly a more advanced and more promising theory than what they've been doing to helmets. Helmets protect against skull fractures, not concussions. The issue with concussions is inertia. The only way to fully prevent concussions would be to find a way to "anchor" the brain in the skull so that they move as one unit instead the brain sloshing inside the skull.

I read about this theory/product about 12-18 months ago and my thoughts today are the same as they were then. I'm hopeful, but skeptical. Speaking as someone who has had 7 concussions, I hope it works like they think it will. It's certainly a more advanced and more promising theory than what they've been doing to helmets. Helmets protect against skull fractures, not concussions. The issue with concussions is inertia. The only way to fully prevent concussions would be to find a way to "anchor" the brain in the skull so that they move as one unit instead the brain sloshing inside the skull.

I saw the video from the studies and were they got the concept. I mean if a Ram's brain or a WoodPecker does not have CTE from far more head smashing than your 7 concussions (my 13) I am sure there is something to this. I know they have some top Neurosurgeons on the case including my own personal Dr.

Like I said, I hope that the product is successful and the theory translates to reality. I just have reservations. The main one being, how do you increase the volume of intra cranial fluid (or the intra cranial pressure) without causing people debilitating headaches. Think about the worst headaches you've ever had, almost all of those are the result of increased intra cranial pressure. Hopefully this is the breakthrough product.

Well as your aware they have put into practice what the animal the Ram has happen before they get into head butting each other. they have found a way that changes the fluid transfer for the better but keeps everything else functioning the way it should.

thats kind of the laymen terms as it was explained to me.

Well as your aware they have put into practice what the animal the Ram has happen before they get into head butting each other. they have found a way that changes the fluid transfer for the better but keeps everything else functioning the way it should.

thats kind of the laymen terms as it was explained to me.

That makes sense intuitively. One can think of numerous examples where our bodies already employ a similar mechanism in preparation for a particular action.

OTG28, any idea on the life of the product? How many applicable uses before it loses effectiveness? I'm thinking about the ability to stay firm to your neck over repeated uses. Just curious about long term viability vs. retail cost of product? Can't put a price on what it may be able to do but will this be an affordable product or price pointed for elite players? Surely too soon to tell but ideas to think about.....

Like JR said, it's a neat concept and I hope it is effective.

If it could reduce concussions in sports only 10 % that would be amazing.....

......Side note: PSC is a late comer to this whole party though. This was basically studied and finished last year. I am sure the group just took it to PSC for marketing and sales. It will be interesting to see the PSC price as I know the original price was extremely reasonable. I am thinking it will be double or triple now they are involved.

If it only addresses 10% of the concussions, a lot of people that buy it are going to be upset and/or disappointed. Inevitably, it will be promoted as a cure-all by some shops and/or perceived that way by a lot of customers.

The price may have doubled or tripled, but they will probably see a tenfold increase in sales due to the connection.

Like JR said, it's a neat concept and I hope it is effective.

If it only addresses 10% of the concussions, a lot of people that buy it are going to be upset and/or disappointed. Inevitably, it will be promoted as a cure-all by some shops and/or perceived that way by a lot of customers.

The price may have doubled or tripled, but they will probably see a tenfold increase in sales due to the connection.

I think personally if it was left with the science people and the original people that were going to sell it it would be not so widely used and maybe not sell as many and maybe not make as much money but I agree now i think people will think because "A hockey company" purchased it that it is legit and a go to.

After reading the TSN article and comments from Chris Nowinski I am a little less on the band wagon even though I know the people that are originally behind it.

And I guess I should have clarified what I meant was if 10% of people that wore it never got one at all and the rest were reduced in severity that would be awesome.

But I am now more with your guys thought. They better have some pretty solid research from 3rd parties before any additional claims are made.

But still if they charge triple I would personally be very leary on stocking it knowing that it would be a rip off. For instance if it comes at the say 150 mark and you have to buy a 200 helmet because the team says so your now close to 400 with tax. When we all know a good VN foam helmet at 89 works well and if this was priced at say 49 then I think we would be going in the right direction if it did work.

lets just wait and see what comes of it I guess...

OTG28, any idea on the life of the product? How many applicable uses before it loses effectiveness? I'm thinking about the ability to stay firm to your neck over repeated uses. Just curious about long term viability vs. retail cost of product? Can't put a price on what it may be able to do but will this be an affordable product or price pointed for elite players? Surely too soon to tell but ideas to think about.....

As posted above I am now a little torn on the whole thing.