Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rjk

Bauer Stick Warranty Fiasco

Hi Pals.

I recently got a pair of 1N sticks from Monkeysports EU. I have been using one for inline and one for ice. Around 4 hours on the ice and around 8-12 hours of inline.

Got a pass at inline the other week and the blade of the stick went totally dull. I took the tape off the stick and the bottom of the blade had a huge crack down the length of it.

This was during normal play, no big shots or crazy poke checks. One moment the stick feels great, I received a pass and then suddenly the stick feels dead and puck feel is gone.

I play on regulation ICEPRO surface so the surface the stick is used on is smooth, but I tape the stick anyway so this shouldn't matter.

8 Days ago, I mailed Bauer Europe about it and explained the situation along with invoices, pictures of the damage and an overview of what lead up to the stick breaking.

U2RA75tl.jpg

Today, I get this response:

Hi Richard,

Most of all Bauer sticks are not made for Inline hockey, the surface on a Inline court are to ruff and tear the blade down, this is what’s happened to this stick.

So in this case it’s a No warranty due to use on wrong surface.

All Mission sticks are made for Inline hockey.

So obviously I am pretty upset about this response. I tape my stick so the bottom is never in contact with the playing surface, This stick is used in non contact hockey and Bauer are using the mission brand as a get out clause here. Are mission composite sticks any different to a Bauer composite stick?

I have replied with the following:

Hello

First of all, please explain the differences in construction between a Bauer composite and mission composite stick. I am interested to know the exact differences in engineering that makes composite with a mission log different to composite with a Bauer logo.

Secondly, can you point me at a reseller in Europe who carry the mission stick range and what model of mission stick is most similar to the Bauer Nexus line.

Thirdly, I play on regulation icecourt tiles, something many inline players who use Bauer sticks play on. It is no more abrasive than playing on actual ice so that argument doesn't hold weight.

Last but not least, the blade is wrapped in fresh tape after every use and has never actually come into contact with the playing surface.

I simply don't buy what you are saying here, a professional level retail stick produced by the world's largest hockey equipment supplier lasts a few weeks and you use inline hockey as a get out clause?

My confidence is seriously shaken in Bauer after this response. Every single piece of equipment I have is produced by Bauer.

Should I stop using my 1XR roller hockey skates on icepro tiles as well?

You know damn fine that roller hockey players use your product range and that playing on a proper inline rink is no different to playing on ice.

For the record, I play Ice Hockey too and tape my stick for that as well.

Monkeysports have don't the right thing here already and replaced my stick for me because they value customer loyalty. It is a huge shame that Bauer have taken this stance.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters because Monkeysports EU have replaced my stick as a good will gesture. They have been fantastic on every occasion I have used them and their customer service on the one occasion I have had a problem has been perfect. I just can't believe how terrible Bauer have handled this.

I guess the moral of the story here is to just tell Bauer you use your stick on Ice if you need to use their warranty.

Did you receive any feedback to your well written reply. Its great that hockeymonkey EU replaced the stick.

To top it off in the UK..getting mission or alkali sticks through normal channels is hard because the distributors don't want to stock them! Or its a 3 month wait..which doesn't help when you need a stick asap. I get that in the UK its a terribly small market..but it would be nice to have some roller love.

not yet, it took them 8 days to respond to me initially so I wont be holding my breath.

From everything I have read, the Mission Stir D1 is their top end stick and is the exact same stick as a Bauer Supreme ONE.8. [a two year old stick design]

Them telling me that the exact same thing wouldnt happen on a composite stick with a Mission logo is absolute lies.

This has nothing at all to do with using a composite stick on an inline floor. most of the time the ice I play on is rougher. The fact I tape my stick makes the whole thing a joke anyway.

I know monkeysports have replaced the stick so there really isnt an argument here, but I just cannot believe that bauer cant stand by their products.

A teammate had a corrosion issue on the Chassis of his APX2 skates and bauer shirked their responsibilities on that too. instead, Puckstop UK picked up the bill and fitted a new frame to his skates.

It goes to show that a good hockey shop has customers in mind where as bauer couldnt give a ****

I contacted CCM out of interest on the matter...

Thank you for contacting Consumer Services at Reebok CCM hockey.

While we can’t speak for what reasons your stick warranty claim may have been refused, playing on regulation inline surfaces shouldn’t be a cause for this.

Our policy is as follows:

Sticks and Composite Shafts (Player and Goalie) are warranted against manufacturing defects for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of sale to the consumer when used as intended under normal use and without alterations.

If your stick looked as though it had been used on asphalt (not normal intended use) then this could most likely be the reason for warranty refusal.

We do take the time to look at every warranty claim and we try our very best to offer a fair resolution.

I've seen the same, if not worse breaks in sticks that were used in ice only so that response is garbage. It's much harder to get a warranty replacement on a stick than anything else because they assume it's being abused and slammed into the ice/court/boards from temper tantrums rather than "normal play."

that's a little absurd, ive used mission lines recently when I played a roller tournament. There was no difference between that mission stick and the bauer stick. Blade felt the same in a sense and equally stiff.

As I said in the first few posts, their top end mission stick is a rebranded 2 year old bauer design. Which isnt even available in the EU or UK.

If I was ripping 10 clappers and 1Ts every session I played then I would just accept the break and move on. I probably wouldn't have even contacted Monkeysports.

But making passes, Shooting wristers and getting a break on a pass indicates a manufacturing error or something not fused well enough. Its like the fibres in the middle of the stick have come away from eachother. not just on the bottom but in the core of the blade. Which wouldn't have a damn thing to do with the surface I play on despite the fact my stick is taped anyway.

I just don't understand how they can assume that I would be using a $250 stick on asphalt or some other abrasive surface. I said in the original mail that I was using it on regulation tiles.
So basically a Bauer composite stick cant be used on regulation tiles but a Mission one can?

I have had, unsurprisingly, no response from Bauer today after the initial 8 day wait it came as no real shock.

The thing that really stings is that CCM responded within the hour to my query and even offered in a reply to call me to clarify their standpoint and walk me through their warranty evaluation process.

This whole thing makes Bauer just look like a total joke. From the way they handled my initial contact, to the pitiful response.

I'm posting about it out of principle as despite me being hooked up by the hockey shop, people should really know what the manufacturer level customer service is like.

I just feel bad for Easton fans as I never had any of this crap with their sticks.

Speaking of Bauer warranty fiascos, had a customer call our shop on Wednesday saying he sent back a broken 1N. Stick was purchased on 1/8/2016, still under warranty. Bauer said the stick was purchased 1/8/2015 and they wouldn't warranty it.

??????????? 2015?

ah yes. the 1n that was available at the start of 2015. you would think that the largest equipment company in hockey would have some sort of clue what they are doing.