Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
S5281

Been using skates too big my whole life ... The trials and Tribulations

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

CCM uses 263 for 7D/EE and 7.5D/EE for retail and only change to 272 in size 8D/EE.

Is this wrong then....00s8U4Q.jpg

Could be outdated. I've read here there was a shift in holder size vs boot size by CCM to align better with Bauer's sizing. 

• Like 1

Yes, those sizes are for skates that were 2014 - 2015.

CCM Holder/Runner Sizing Chart (2014-15)
Senior
CCM Skate Size 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 11.5 12 13
Blade Length 263 263 271 271 271 280 280 287 287 295 295 304 304 312
CCM Holder/Runner Sizing Chart (2014-15)
Junior
CCM Skate Size 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 --- --- --- ---
Blade Length 215 221 221 230 230 238 238 247 255 255 --- --- --- ---
CCM Holder/Runner Sizing Chart (2016-Current)
Senior
CCM Skate Size 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 11.5 12 12.5
Blade Length 255 255 263 263 271 271 280 280 287 287 295 295 304 304
CCM Holder/Runner Sizing Chart (2016-Current)
Junior
CCM Skate Size 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 --- --- --- ---
Blade Length 215 215 221 221 230 230 238 238 247 247 --- --- --- ---

I have a holder/blade-related concern/question that is closely related to the OP post... All else being equal..is it harder to turn with longer runners? During my skate search I tried on and skated a few different sized skates from Bauer and CCM. I can squeeze into a Bauer rec skate size 9 and the blade feels sweet under my foot.. like a tennis shoe.. very responsive.. I moved away from that quickly as they only came in a R width and started my adventure into mid level skates that had EE widths. That was before I became a skate punching aficionado.. Anyhow..I was chasing a boot I could tolerate in my arch and foot width and I probably landed in too big of a skate. 10 EE. I had no experience knowing about how liners break in or how to interpret the new skate fit vs down the road....but anyhow, the 10ee feels like I'm on speed skates. I reckon I might have went from a 9' stock radius on a bauer to a 10' on ccm and a holder that is also longer. Something is not great... it's more in the way the skates behave when I turn like glide turns or when trying to do C cuts inside/outside, like am I fighting the straightness or length of the blade?   Does what I'm feeling make sense? I might go get a generic 9' radius put on my runners but they might already be rounded to that after about 5 sharpens..  Also, I feel like I'm a bit more on my heels than I should be. Might be due to the superfeet.. I dont know. I'm going to shove in the stock footbeds next skate and see how they feel. Probably looser yet.  Skate fit chart says I should be in a 9.5 for my foot length. Which I was in Bauer.. then I tried a 10ee in ccm and was hoodwinked by the awesome liner into thinking it was a tight fit.. I even felt the toe cap when they were new.....that snug fit went away as my foot pain subsided. So now they are relatively comfy but too big I think. I have to crank the laces and they still do that slight shift or flip flop as my weight transfers from inside to outside edge. The are properly heat formed/baked but never have that tight lateral lock.. stability-wise.  I have real nice wrap around my ankle w the boot. The skate is a SMU from ccm. 9070 hybrid. I'd like to think my ankles and legs have strengthened up but maybe I'm not anywhere near there yet. I have nothing in memory to compare my recent skating too. It's been many years since hockey. and I wonder if my blades/skate size is holding me back somewhat now. I never even thought about this stuff when I was younger.  I'm about 195/ athletic/fit...It feels like my ankles aren't big enough for the boot but my forefoot and volume say otherwise. Sorry for the ramble. I might plop down 50 bucks for some used rec skates in 9 just to see what happens. (they only make whole size in the Bauer NSX.) I'll figure it out eventually. Probably have to punch the heck out of a 9.5D and god help my arches. ANother question...are EE skates any different in the heel or mid foot and back? Maybe  9EE wouldn't be all that crazy to try either. Vapor is no. Tacks snap on my foot real nice, supremes feel lace bitey.  Anything for feedback from anywhere in that rant I'll take. p.s.Hopefully it's not frowned upon to add onto a thread that seems to have run its course.

Jeez, there is a big difference between a 9R and a 10EE, both length and width. No wonder you feel a little unstable but it's actually a good thing (more on this later).

As to fit, if you can fit your foot into a 9R but it is too narrow in places then you should be trying 9E or 9EE then punching where necessary. You can fix lacebite (eg eyelet extenders), you can fix narrow width (eg punching) but you can't fix a boot that is too long and or too wide.

Now to the good, skating in a boot that is too big for you will actually improve your skating overall if you stick at it and train hard. The reason is it increases your muscle memory range at balance over the blade and finding where the edge is. Proprioception. But it should be a training boot and not the boot you play in which needs to be the right fit.

On 1/31/2016 at 9:07 AM, S5281 said:

Playing hockey my entire life - parents always buy you skates to "grow into."

At my adult age - after a few different skate purchase/trials- my TRUE sz (toe brushing caps) but not cramped when I skate is a 7D - (263 holder) ...

PROBLEM

I have learned (over 10+ years) to play hockey in skates too big / larger boot / holder. (272 minimum) 7.5EE was my last pair of XXXX's in juniors (Way back when-wrong size) both width and length

NOW:

My proper sz is a 7D - w/ a 263 feels small Owned and skated on a pair well over a year) Played with radiuses - going to 10ft / etc - Do-able? Sure - but always feel my strides shortened (5'11/180 pounds on a 263)

Prior to the 7D 7.0 - Had X60's 7.5 / W 272's thinking back one of the best skates I've owned. Yes - toes weren't brushing cap / but heel didn't slip/move around/ and played balanced - enjoyed them having the 272 runner under me suited me better I believe>?

Buying new Skates now

Go true to sz - 7D w/ 263 runner and force myself after yrs to adjust? OR go that .5 sz larger with the 272 and stay in the comfort zone

Get the boot size that is right for your foot.

Then, get your blades radius'ed at www.noicingsports.com or some other place you trust. If you feel your stride is shorted with 263, a larger radius can fix that. Or multi-radius so that the rear section has a larger radius than the front section.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:53 PM, Above40 said:

I have a holder/blade-related concern/question that is closely related to the OP post... All else being equal..is it harder to turn with longer runners? During my skate search I tried on and skated a few different sized skates from Bauer and CCM. I can squeeze into a Bauer rec skate size 9 and the blade feels sweet under my foot.. like a tennis shoe.. very responsive.. I moved away from that quickly as they only came in a R width and started my adventure into mid level skates that had EE widths. That was before I became a skate punching aficionado.. Anyhow..I was chasing a boot I could tolerate in my arch and foot width and I probably landed in too big of a skate. 10 EE. I had no experience knowing about how liners break in or how to interpret the new skate fit vs down the road....but anyhow, the 10ee feels like I'm on speed skates. I reckon I might have went from a 9' stock radius on a bauer to a 10' on ccm and a holder that is also longer. Something is not great... it's more in the way the skates behave when I turn like glide turns or when trying to do C cuts inside/outside, like am I fighting the straightness or length of the blade?   Does what I'm feeling make sense? I might go get a generic 9' radius put on my runners but they might already be rounded to that after about 5 sharpens..  Also, I feel like I'm a bit more on my heels than I should be. Might be due to the superfeet.. I dont know. I'm going to shove in the stock footbeds next skate and see how they feel. Probably looser yet.  Skate fit chart says I should be in a 9.5 for my foot length. Which I was in Bauer.. then I tried a 10ee in ccm and was hoodwinked by the awesome liner into thinking it was a tight fit.. I even felt the toe cap when they were new.....that snug fit went away as my foot pain subsided. So now they are relatively comfy but too big I think. I have to crank the laces and they still do that slight shift or flip flop as my weight transfers from inside to outside edge. The are properly heat formed/baked but never have that tight lateral lock.. stability-wise.  I have real nice wrap around my ankle w the boot. The skate is a SMU from ccm. 9070 hybrid. I'd like to think my ankles and legs have strengthened up but maybe I'm not anywhere near there yet. I have nothing in memory to compare my recent skating too. It's been many years since hockey. and I wonder if my blades/skate size is holding me back somewhat now. I never even thought about this stuff when I was younger.  I'm about 195/ athletic/fit...It feels like my ankles aren't big enough for the boot but my forefoot and volume say otherwise. Sorry for the ramble. I might plop down 50 bucks for some used rec skates in 9 just to see what happens. (they only make whole size in the Bauer NSX.) I'll figure it out eventually. Probably have to punch the heck out of a 9.5D and god help my arches. ANother question...are EE skates any different in the heel or mid foot and back? Maybe  9EE wouldn't be all that crazy to try either. Vapor is no. Tacks snap on my foot real nice, supremes feel lace bitey.  Anything for feedback from anywhere in that rant I'll take. p.s.Hopefully it's not frowned upon to add onto a thread that seems to have run its course.

Check this out. Doesn't matter whether you have CCM or Bauer or other. Blade profiling can help you with your existing skates.

https://www.noicingsports.com/copy-of-skate-profiling

@Above40 what you describe in the fist part is definitely due to size/blade length and profile. I wouldn't be so quick to just jump back to a 9'. Try a combo. Get the agility of a 9 and the glide and stability from an 11.

Plenty of great info here. If you haven't already, check out the ProSharp section. 

Sounds like you need to check out the Pro Sharp Project  section of this forum. Lots of good information over there. 

Edited by SabbyP
Typo

20 hours ago, caveman27 said:

I actually did submit a web form on their site a while back in order to get the ball rolling but I don't think I ever heard back. I can re-check my folders but I think I assumed they were swamped and weren't taking on new customers or something. They did specify not to email or contact them twice.. as if to say don't call us we'll call you.. kinda thing. I know what that's like so I just moved on. Learning curve coming back to hockey is pretty steep and I think my first priorities were getting on the ice and getting skates that fit so maybe a good time to revisit the profiling frontier. Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, SabbyP said:

Sounds like you need to check out the Pro Sharp Project  section of this forum. Lots of good information over there

Thanks for the tip!

14 minutes ago, Above40 said:

I actually did submit a web form on their site a while back in order to get the ball rolling but I don't think I ever heard back. I can re-check my folders but I think I assumed they were swamped and weren't taking on new customers or something. They did specify not to email or contact them twice.. as if to say don't call us we'll call you.. kinda thing. I know what that's like so I just moved on. Learning curve coming back to hockey is pretty steep and I think my first priorities were getting on the ice and getting skates that fit so maybe a good time to revisit the profiling frontier. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the tip!

Oh. I filled out a form and they responded by e-mail. Anyway, I tried a double-radius profile. I didn't like it and went with a single radius.

But, if you know what you want, they do a great job. I use them regularly.

• Like 1