Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2017 Outdoor Games

I've been saying that they won't play at Beaver Stadium since the first time that it was brought up. They could do it here at Hershey if they wanted a neutral site game, but I think they would be better off doing it in Pittsburgh or Philly. Pittsburgh is probably the safer bet with the weather, too.

Why does it seem the same teams over and over? Pit, Phi, Was, Bos, Chi...

add Detroit to the list. The reasoning is clear, the league wants to make money off the game and using large markets is the way to go

add Detroit to the list. The reasoning is clear, the league wants to make money off the game and using large markets is the way to go

Star power and market size

Ironic, considering their expansion and relocation strategies in the Bettman era.

Ironic, considering their expansion and relocation strategies in the Bettman era.

not really. It actually I think has a lot less to do with what the league would like and more to do with marketing the games and TV spectacle. I don't think very many people would be tuning into a panthers coyotes classic.

There aren't any/many large cities in the north left to expand into. As for leaving Quebec/Winnipeg/Hartford, the teams had bad facilities and were losing money.

And with the current exchange rate they aren't racing back into Quebec City.

As for the outdoor game, there are two things they have to consider; getting large numbers to watch and being able to fully fill the stadium. The game is growing in those non-traditional markets but it still might be a tall order to fill an 80,000 seat football stadium in Florida or Arizona. Even if they could, I think it would still be near impossible with the humidity of Florida to get anything remotely resembling a quality ice surface.

And with the current exchange rate they aren't racing back into Quebec City.

As for the outdoor game, there are two things they have to consider; getting large numbers to watch and being able to fully fill the stadium. The game is growing in those non-traditional markets but it still might be a tall order to fill an 80,000 seat football stadium in Florida or Arizona. Even if they could, I think it would still be near impossible with the humidity of Florida to get anything remotely resembling a quality ice surface.

I would be interested in seeing the numbers from WInnipeg and Calgary for last year. Things weren't all that rosy the year before in those cities and the US dollar has picked up strength since then.