Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAK5656

Do your shin guards offer enough knee protection?

So i have a pair of  Mission FUEL's that i've been using for a couple of years now. They are a pretty good, thick set of shins, and do a great job of protecting sed shins. BUT more and more lately my knees are getting really banged up.  For instance, last week i was tripped on a play, went down pretty good and banged the sh&* out of my knee which then swell up and left me with a huge raspberry. A few weeks before that, I was playing D, went to slide to break up a 2 on 1 and again caught my knee on the rink, again i ended up with a swollen knee and a bad bruise. 

Do hockey shins in general just suck for knee protections, or do I just need to look into another brand?

Good shin guards in which the knee sits in properly will give you excellent protection. Which model of Fuel did you have, you get what you pay for? Regardless of the model, your knees are telling you shins are now crap and it's time to replace them with something decent.

Get a better fitting pair. I had a pair of Sherwoods that I thought were ok until I started playing ice. All of a sudden I was coming home with bruises all over my legs from getting hit with the puck/falls, especially the side of the knee. I switched to some easton synergy HSX and I love them. My knee is so much deeper int the cap and there is no way for it to slide off sideways like I used to get with my older ones. I also like how my knee is suspended. I am not trying to sell you on these particular shins, but an upgraded, better fitting pair has made a huge difference. 

I have a bad knee and fall on it all the time in my CCM RBZ 130's, never feel a thing. They're only one level above entry model but they're great.

I'm not a good skater by any means, but from skateboarding and martial arts I definitely know how to fall right, so that could be mitigating some of the potential damage as well.

I have a pair of top end RBZ i use for ice, and then the 130 that i use for roller. both work great for me in that regard.

1 hour ago, LAK5656 said:

Really appreciate the tips, going to look into a set of 130s

I also have the 130s for ice and am very happy with them.