Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

GoPro alternative

If this has been covered, my bad. I apologise in advance.

I just picked up a Poloroid Cube as a GoPro alternative. $79.95 at Best Buy, magnetic base, uses Micro SD cards. 

Am I going to get the same as a GoPro? I am not fool enough to believe that. But I like the size and the fact it is magnetic. I could rig a metal mount for my helmet, I could stick it to a goal post.

Yes, I can't look at video until I put it on my computer. But an $80 camera getting whooped or nicked is easier to take than a $300 GoPro, though there is the $130 GoPro. 

I will tell you lot how I like it. If anyone here has tried this 35mm cube of plastic, optics, and electronics, please share.

A friend of mine has this. He uses it when we play racquetball or to just record us playing some Cards Against Humanity or other game night shenanigans. The quality of video is ok, its not going to be as rugged or quite as good visually as a gopro. 

I guess its all a matter of just how important it is to watch yourself. 

Fine starter camera for sure. I had the $130 GoPro but it was like night and day compared to the $200 1080p GoPro. So just like Stewie said, it's all about how much you care.

I'm taking baby steps here; after all- I'd rather blow $80 than $300 when it comes to getting a camera; after all- that mney could go towards new pads. Maybe when I find the quality wanting and I have my new pads, I will jump to the biggest, baddest GoPro.

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I'm taking baby steps here; after all- I'd rather blow $80 than $300 when it comes to getting my new pads. Maybe when I find the quality wanting and I have my new pads, I will jump to the biggest, baddest GoPro.

There's actually no need for the biggest, baddest gopro. You really don't need 4K video, you also don't need an LCD screen because... well.... you're not going to see it anyway. Taking all of that into account, unless you plan to use it for things other than hockey (or really care about having a removable battery), there's no reason to go beyond the lowest end camera that does 1080p@60fps, which is currently the Hero+. 

I agree with you though. Good to test the waters for things like this. I bought low end Brian's pads just to make sure I'd like playing the position. Now that I know I do, there's no reason to skimp. Might as well get exactly what I want the first time around instead up having to keep upgrading stuff. Same thing with my GoPro. I bought the cheap model just to see if I'd actually use it. Now that I know I do, I went ahead and got exactly what I wanted. 

Just to play devils advocate. If you do buy the best camera it tends to stay relevant for longer. For example I bought the best Hero 3 when it first came out almost 3 years ago and it is still decent for picture now since 4k REALLY hasn't picked up. However if I were to buy a camera now I'd either wait until April to see if the new one will do 4K in 60fps or buy the Hero 4 Black to get 2.7k in 60fps.

10 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

There's actually no need for the biggest, baddest gopro. You really don't need 4K video, you also don't need an LCD screen because... well.... you're not going to see it anyway. Taking all of that into account, unless you plan to use it for things other than hockey (or really care about having a removable battery), there's no reason to go beyond the lowest end camera that does 1080p@60fps, which is currently the Hero+. 

I agree with you though. Good to test the waters for things like this. I bought low end Brian's pads just to make sure I'd like playing the position. Now that I know I do, there's no reason to skimp. Might as well get exactly what I want the first time around instead up having to keep upgrading stuff. Same thing with my GoPro. I bought the cheap model just to see if I'd actually use it. Now that I know I do, I went ahead and got exactly what I wanted. 

Silly me wanted to say that I coukd put that extra $$$ towards new pads. But yes- I agree 150% with you about the spending. 

I am not really a gadget fellow, so using the camera as a teaching tool is really what I want. Again, I may find myself wanting better.

6 hours ago, Hills said:

Just to play devils advocate. If you do buy the best camera it tends to stay relevant for longer. For example I bought the best Hero 3 when it first came out almost 3 years ago and it is still decent for picture now since 4k REALLY hasn't picked up. However if I were to buy a camera now I'd either wait until April to see if the new one will do 4K in 60fps or buy the Hero 4 Black to get 2.7k in 60fps.

No doubt. That's how tech plays out.

If I thought I could get away with it, I would have used my old Flip video camera, but it is heavy, huge and clunky for action videos. I don't think rink management would be cool with me taping that monstrosity to the glass.

Haha. Oh, the Flip. Such a cool gadget before Cisco came along and f'd it up. Well, that and it becoming redundant thanks to cell phones having decent cameras.

Thats one reason I went with the GoPro as well. They're pretty well known for being virtually indestructible. The mount is likely to break long before the camera.

The sound was shite on those Flip cameras!!!! Crikey! It made me get rid of a perfectly good ride cymbal until I realised that it picked up NOTHING but treble!!!! Fack me!!!! That was G'd awful audio!!!!!

18 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Four bloody goalies showed up today, so no Poloroid Cube today :(

Next time I go, I will probably try it then.

Why'd that stop you?

3 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Why'd that stop you?

'cos we changed goalies every ten minutes amd ends every twenty minutes.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

'cos we changed goalies every ten minutes amd ends every twenty minutes.

Just grab it and take it with you

7 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Why'd that stop you?

He probably didn't want to get blood on his new camera with all those bloodied goalies

6 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Just grab it and take it with you

I'm a lazy bastard...

Actually, the diminutive size of the Cube makes it easy to forget.

7 hours ago, Stewie said:

He probably didn't want to get blood on his new camera with all those bloodied goalies

Yeah- rink management really was not happy with how we changed the crease colours from blue to red. 

on the "GoPro" theme...

the stuff these guys pull off is crazy, but i think Giroux takes it.  At the 1:56 mark he has the sense to NOT touch the puck and let the barrage go by him knowing that HIS puck is safe where it is. was that a kitchen sick i saw go by??

All of these videos have shown off some really unique and interesting skills. Keith's release was unbelievable and Giroux leaving the puck behind was something I noticed as well. I really enjoy them doing these.

found this on the Kinja today. although it may not help YOU B-Man666 i hope it will help the future tendys out there.  heck, and the rest of us too  :)

A few developments have happened since I first posted this.

Wal Mart sells Vivitar branded GoPro impersonators. The most expensive is near a C-note, which on paper, matches the best features of the high end GoPro.

This led me to Amazon. The Piktec has WiFi, two batteries, and an accessory pack all for $75. I should get it tomorrow.

I abandoned the Cube experiment. It only allows you to take short videos, and you have to use a computer to view videos. My laptop is acting up as it hasn't been turned on in two years! I should have tried starting my computer before committing to the Cube.

If you want try a cheap camera, check this one out

http://www.monoprice.com/product?pg_no2=2&c_id=117&cp_id=11704&cs_id=1170401&p_id=12571&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Not sure if it is typical or not, but in low-rez this camera can do 240fps (or 120fps in 720p), which is pretty nice for a slow-mo(ish) video clips. Basic model is $59.99 + free shipping (more expensive packages available with wrist remote control and battery packs). I do not have it, but if I was looking for a camera I would get it. I used Monoprice and they have been great with replacements and returns. Basically if you do not like it, you can return it for a full refund (they might even cover the return shipping). The reviews are mostly positive. Users manual is available on the page as well.