Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truckie

Just ordered HockeyMonkey Sr. Bargain Mystery stick deal 2 sticks for $80 shipped

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 2pack of sticks from Hockey monkey... $80 shipped..

You tell them in the comments about yourself and they pick 2 sticks to send you... being new I figured how bad could it be.. and its gotta be better than the 2 wood sticks I got for $25 at play it again sports.

I told them  50 yo Noobie, Firemen's league, what my current wood sticks are( right), 5'10" / 200lbs, have played forward in the 1 game I have played,  told them guessing 85-100 flex?  5 lie?? and a curve good for beginner stick handling, to get wrist up a bit and backhand up at all LOL  not sure if I need grip or non grip... thinking NON

Fun cheap way to get new sticks... I will post back with what sticks I received

anybody order these before?     .... did I forget to tell them anything important?

Order status shows....

1-   EASTON HK SYNERGY 40 GR SR 85 E28 R

2-  BAUER HK SUPREME 170 GR SR 77 P92 R

How do you think I made out??   will these be good for a NEW GUY???

Mid curve, mid loft - most common curve around. Whilst not the best all rounder curve (I think a PM9 type fits that roll better) it will do the job for you very well. 77 flex is what you should be using, learn to use the flex of the stick to pass and shoot with, 85 is getting a shade to stiff and there is no way you should be using 100 (and see the next point because as you cut down a stick it gets stiffer in flex). Also imho a standard length senior stick will be to long for you, as you are starting out you should look to cut the length of the stick so it is below your chin whilst standing in your skates (some have it cut down to the collar bone). The shorter the stick the easier it is to puck handle, pass etc. You may even want to look at intermediate sticks around a 65 or 70 flex. Then as you become a better player you look to add a 1/2 inch or so to try a longer stick. 

Figuring out your lie is more about how you skate and hold the stick. Frankly I wouldn't worry about it for a few years until you start to get better. If you ever want to check the lie put a new layer of tape on your blade, go for a skate and puck handle and shoot for a few minutes than have a look at the bottom of the blade. If the tape wear is mid blade then all good, heel wear means you need a lower lie or and a shorter stick, toe wear means a higher lie and or a longer stick. As you become a better skater your lie most likely will change, or at least your capability to use different sticks with different lies will.

At the end of the day the stick isn't going to make you a better player, only hard practice and lots of it will. Get out there, enjoy yourself and have fun.  And if you do want to improve and improve fast then consider investing in some off ice training tools, a green biscuit, an abs blade in a shaft and some inline skates will be the best money you will ever spend at this point.

That's a pretty good deal.  The 170 is a clearance stick that was originally priced around $129 I believe.  I have one, and would say it's a good mid level stick.  P92 is probably the most popular curve on the market right now.

2 hours ago, Truckie said:

Order status shows....

1-   EASTON HK SYNERGY 40 GR SR 85 E28 R

2-  BAUER HK SUPREME 170 GR SR 77 P92 R

How do you think I made out??   will these be good for a NEW GUY???

They're both good sticks, but for a beginner it's more important to get technique down. You'll be able to lift the puck rather easily, with both curves as well. Also, for a newer player, 85 flex may be too stiff. Making sure they're a good height is important as well. Around your chin on skates.

Good luck and have fun.

That E28 curve will not be friendly to you. That's a wicked curve for a beginner to learn/get comfortable with stickhandling, passing, and shooting. See if one of your teammates wants to buy it from you.

so new I don't have teammates yet...   I will most likely have to cut a small bit off the length ( but will see how they are first)  the 2 WOOD sticks I have now seem like the right length but seem to have very generic curves. the koho is used and scratched up $5, the CCM 252 ABS HEAT 85 P19 Nugent Hopkins  is new $20, but both feel very stiff and it is very hard to get any lift on a shot...Seems I have to wait until the puck is way out in front of me before snapping it off if I want any lift on a shot...  hoping these new sticks are a good starting point so I can decide what works and what doesn't

The new sticks you ordered have better curves to get you some air. Since you have no stick skills, you probably can benefit from sticking with e28. It is designed to be more versatile stick, and it is intended to be used differently from a single lie sticks such as the two you have. With e28, you do not hold stick with the blade flat on the ice, you kind of rock the toe up to use heel for passes, then you rock the toe down and get the heel up to shoot. So you use front half of the blade to shoot and rear half of the blade to deck and pass. You notice that the curve is at the front of the blade, while the rear is flat. When you shoot, the rear of the blade kind of adds to the handle and gets you more flex as well. So the theory is that it gets you more options, but require a bit more precession from you... well this is the theory anyway.

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Mid curve, mid loft - most common curve around. Whilst not the best all rounder curve (I think a PM9 type fits that roll better) it will do the job for you very well. 77 flex is what you should be using, learn to use the flex of the stick to pass and shoot with, 85 is getting a shade to stiff and there is no way you should be using 100 (and see the next point because as you cut down a stick it gets stiffer in flex). Also imho a standard length senior stick will be to long for you, as you are starting out you should look to cut the length of the stick so it is below your chin whilst standing in your skates (some have it cut down to the collar bone). The shorter the stick the easier it is to puck handle, pass etc. You may even want to look at intermediate sticks around a 65 or 70 flex. Then as you become a better player you look to add a 1/2 inch or so to try a longer stick. 

Figuring out your lie is more about how you skate and hold the stick. Frankly I wouldn't worry about it for a few years until you start to get better. If you ever want to check the lie put a new layer of tape on your blade, go for a skate and puck handle and shoot for a few minutes than have a look at the bottom of the blade. If the tape wear is mid blade then all good, heel wear means you need a lower lie or and a shorter stick, toe wear means a higher lie and or a longer stick. As you become a better skater your lie most likely will change, or at least your capability to use different sticks with different lies will.

At the end of the day the stick isn't going to make you a better player, only hard practice and lots of it will. Get out there, enjoy yourself and have fun.  And if you do want to improve and improve fast then consider investing in some off ice training tools, a green biscuit, an abs blade in a shaft and some inline skates will be the best money you will ever spend at this point.

I have been using the  dryland shooting cages at the rink for about an hour before ,( or after),  I do  stick and puck /or public skate sessions.. I have floor hockey orange ball and 2 of the wood balls for driveway/garage practice