Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Shin guard length different for over vs. under?

Howdy,

With some new skates, I'm switching from having my shins under the tongue to over the tonque... I wear 14's (Reebok 11k)  under the tongue, but they seem a little short when placed over the tongue.  A buddy had some Bauer Supreme 10's in 15" that I tried and they seems to be a little better (though I didn't really like anything else about them).

Is it common to go up an inch in length comparing under the tongue to over?

Also, recommendations for "currently on clearance / cheap" shins with very good protection with a non-stretch top lockstrap that attaches to the front?  I really liked the lockstrap on the CCM Tacks 1052 shins I used for a while as compared to the one on the 11k, though I liked everything else about the 11k better.

Mark

I cant speak for everyone, but I definitely changed sizes when I started wearing my shins on the outside. 

For recommendations, the old top of the line Mako shins are still the best shins I've ever worn. 

From what I've read, and from my experience, if you're switching to shins over tongues, you'll want to go up one size. If it's the other way around, you'd drop a size.

Howdy,

And "go somewhere and actually try stuff on" wins again.  :-)

I ended up with 16" 6052 Tacks.  That's a nominal 2" jump over the 14" 11k's, but that seemed to extend the end of the shin down into my skate just right without pushing it up my knee more.  Didn't feel anything in terms of a restriction on flex either.

I also like the strap system better on the 6052 vs. the 11k.  The 11k "slide in hook" stuff is convenient and all, but I've had a number of times when I'm taking gear off and one of the straps is half out or even all the way out of the slot.

Really surprised at the length though.  Enough so that I had one of the store employees that seemed to have a clue verify my opinion that it actually fit.  No way I'd have guessed I'd be in 16's.  And it was also a huge plus to actually strap them on my legs, evaluate if the length of the velcro straps were too long (a few were), etc.

Shout out to Peranis Hockey World in North Olmstead, OH (Cleveland suburb) btw.  This is the 3rd or so time I've been there and we've gotten consistently good help every time we've gone, at similar prices to online only or "online but not around us" folks.

Mark

On 9/10/2016 at 9:17 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

And "go somewhere and actually try stuff on" wins again.  :-)

I ended up with 16" 6052 Tacks.  That's a nominal 2" jump over the 14" 11k's, but that seemed to extend the end of the shin down into my skate just right without pushing it up my knee more.  Didn't feel anything in terms of a restriction on flex either.

I also like the strap system better on the 6052 vs. the 11k.  The 11k "slide in hook" stuff is convenient and all, but I've had a number of times when I'm taking gear off and one of the straps is half out or even all the way out of the slot.

Really surprised at the length though.  Enough so that I had one of the store employees that seemed to have a clue verify my opinion that it actually fit.  No way I'd have guessed I'd be in 16's.  And it was also a huge plus to actually strap them on my legs, evaluate if the length of the velcro straps were too long (a few were), etc.

Shout out to Peranis Hockey World in North Olmstead, OH (Cleveland suburb) btw.  This is the 3rd or so time I've been there and we've gotten consistently good help every time we've gone, at similar prices to online only or "online but not around us" folks.

Mark

Glad you found a fit that works. I'm actually looking for a good shin pad for over the tongue as well. I was leaning towards the Bauer X60's since they have such high reviews but maybe i'll take a look at the 6052's.

Another recommendation for the OP, make sure you bring your skates with you when you try the shins on. My shins fit fine with my Vapor skates. When I moved to the Supreme, the sides of the shin get hung up on the corners of the top of the boot. The profile of the boot conflicts with the length. Pending the type of skates you have, this could be something you run into as well. 

Howdy,

15 hours ago, Bakum said:

Glad you found a fit that works. I'm actually looking for a good shin pad for over the tongue as well. I was leaning towards the Bauer X60's since they have such high reviews but maybe i'll take a look at the 6052's.

Thanks.  Yeah, I was happy too.  :-)

I've played with them a couple times now and am still pleased.

I will second the poster above... You really want to try them on with your skates on.  I also tried on some Vapors (APX2's maybe?  Not 100% sure) that were there and didn't like the way they sat over the tongue / top of my skate as well and they didn't give quite as good coverage on the sides at the top of my skate.

But I think differences between folks and what they want is going to happen with this stuff!  I learned a lot about what I cared about sitting on the floor of the store next to the shins rack and trying on about ten different ones.  :-)

Mark

I think some shins are built specifically for the purpose of being over the tongue as well. A pair of Easton's I bought in 14" were definitely longer than my previous shins. As my Jofa's were 14" and went under the tongue. 

2 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

Unfortunately, not all equipment is built alike when it comes to sizing. That situation you provided is a prime example.

No doubt about that. I ended up going with the X60's Shins. I got them in a 17' for $30.