Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Utterkaos94

Any shin guards with good knee protection?

On 11/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, stick9 said:

Tacks shins aren't as protective as one may think. I was bruised up nicely from a wrist shot that hit just off to the side of the knee. Funny thing is, the other areas are extremely well protected. 

That is why I added Poron shot blockers to the inside of the knee. CCM really thinned out the foams there to show off the D3O from the 20K to the Ultra Tacks. Super disappointing they haven't really addressed it.

Reading the Bauer descriptions on Supreme pads, they mention “Flattened knee cap for better stability when taking a knee on the ice.”

Thats an odd selling point; a rounded cap would disperse impacts, a flatter cap is going to transfer more of the energy from an impact to the knee. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, start_today said:

Reading the Bauer descriptions on Supreme pads, they mention “Flattened knee cap for better stability when taking a knee on the ice.”

Thats an odd selling point; a rounded cap would disperse impacts, a flatter cap is going to transfer more of the energy from an impact to the knee. 

But at the same time, I definitely notice how much harder it is to balance and have stability on a really rounded knee cap. It's a minor thing, but when I switched brands a while ago it was definitely noticeable.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, Hills said:

That is why I added Poron shot blockers to the inside of the knee. CCM really thinned out the foams there to show off the D3O from the 20K to the Ultra Tacks. Super disappointing they haven't really addressed it.

I took a closer look at the knee cap last night. It's just liner and some medium foam on the backside of the knee cap. Surprisingly thin for a pad of that price point.

13 hours ago, stick9 said:

I took a closer look at the knee cap last night. It's just liner and some medium foam on the backside of the knee cap. Surprisingly thin for a pad of that price point.

The biggest disappointment was when I brought it up to multiple CCM reps and they shrugged their shoulders... the pro stock Tacks shin guards are so much better for knee padding.

• Like 1

I was almost sold on a pair of Tacks shins with the D30 but this thread made me reconsider. I tried on some Supreme 2s Pro elbows and wasn't a fan of the rigid forearm "carbon" slash guard because it didn't match my arm size. It looks like the same rigid flap is on the calf guard of the 2S Pro shins. Has anyone had problems with that material and guard not lining up with their leg? Is the guard on the 2s more flexible?

37 minutes ago, GunnarStahl said:

I was almost sold on a pair of Tacks shins with the D30 but this thread made me reconsider. I tried on some Supreme 2s Pro elbows and wasn't a fan of the rigid forearm "carbon" slash guard because it didn't match my arm size. It looks like the same rigid flap is on the calf guard of the 2S Pro shins. Has anyone had problems with that material and guard not lining up with their leg? Is the guard on the 2s more flexible?

The carbon flap on the shin is more flexible and better placed. I also didn't like the carbon piece of the 2S Pro elbow pads and instead went with the 2S model.