Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan_The_Man_16

Getting Away Wrist Shots

I am having trouble getting away quick wristers with power. I have always seemed to have this problem, so I used more of a snap shot before. I mainly use these to clear my zone, as I am a defenceman. I can get the shots flat, but they just don't seem to have the power that they should. This is kinda hard to explain but I think because I don't have time to properly transfer my weight to shoot the puck. Does anyone have any techniques on 1 footed shooting, or just getting away wrist shots in quick situations.

Loose the wrist shot, work on your snapper more and try to get that going enough to take out the wrist shot. I haven't used a wrist shot in a game for some time now.

Define "snapper" for me.

I was playing a couple weeks ago and I was sitting in the slot...nice little pass comes in an a took (what I thought) was a half wind up...that's what I thought a "snap" shot was...

Anyway...the guys told me after that was pretty much a full out slap shot. Not a big deal, but usually we play no slappers when there is traffic in front (just to be safe). I'd just like to know what to work on.

Thanks

snapper is when you have the puck on your stick and shoot with no windup. Just "snap" your wrists and let the puck take off. I use a heel-toe motion, the same as I use for a saucer pass.

snapper is when you have the puck on your stick and shoot with no windup. Just "snap" your wrists and let the puck take off. I use a heel-toe motion, the same as I use for a saucer pass.

So basically a wrist shot motion with a little more velocity and "snap" to it....

[EDIT] the forward motion without the back swing...?

So basically a wrist shot motion with a little more velocity and "snap" to it....

[EDIT] the forward motion without the back swing...?

Basically, yes. the whole point is to not give away the fact you're about to shoot.

What media player are you using? Its not working for me and I have all of them......(WMP QT, Winamp)

Real player

I honestly can't remember the last time I took a wrist shot.

Nor can I. The release alone on a snapper makes it that much more effective, and my snapshot is much harder than my wrister.

A good wristshot requires a much more fundamentally sound technique than a snapshot. Weight transfer is crucial - you may also want to think about the flex of your stick if you're hoping to improve your wristshot as well. A stick with more flex will allow easier "loading" as you follow through your shot.

all of the steps you mentioned are true, but the difference is in that for someone with a good snapper, the puck is in the net by the time your pulling your weight transfer on a wrist shot.

No arguments here... I prefer snapshots myself, but I have also scored my fair share with the good old wrister as well.

Never hurts to sharpen all the arrows in the quiver...

I used to have this problem till I practiced my snap AND wrist shot technique. The thing about mastering these two shots I found was being able to shoot just as able on both my preffered and opposite foot. The biggest advantage this gives is being able to puckhandle and shoot from any "real game" situation. Its something I have been talking to my juniors to allot about...

The example I give is.... You are breaking forward with only one defenceman to beat. You dangle around the defenceman leaving him behind you. Set up the shot and just before you let it go he shoves you on your opposite foot. If you haven't practiced your opposite foot shooting then you will have no power and flounder on the shot. However, if you have you will be able to shovel the puck wherever the hole is everytime!

i stopped using wrist shots all through bantam and minor midget. Then i got hired as a shooter working for a couple goalie camps instead of just working player sessions, a few times a week (easiest/best job of all time...) and you have to take a ton of wrist shots, ever since wrist shots have been my fav shot to take, theyre harder and more accurate then snapshots when you shoot properly, but like everyone has mentioned you have to let them go quickly

Any difference I have in velocity between a wrist and a snapper are outdone by the difference in release time.

Any difference I have in velocity between a wrist and a snapper are outdone by the difference in release time.

true, you have to pick your spots on when to take a ws, personally, if i have time to take one itll be more accurate and the shot will be heavier

I've found it's all personal preference as to what to use when...when on the off foot, like Aussie Joe said, a quick snapper works well. They are faster to get away. I've found that wrist shots are a ton heavier and tend to penetrate deeper if the goalie manages to get ahold of it. Of course, YMMV.

Since the question was, however, how to get a faster wristshot away, I'll answer that question. PRACTICE. The motion for a proper wrister is a lot bigger than for a snap shot, so it may not be practicable at all times to use one. But with enough practice of the proper form, you can speed it up tremendously. Whenever I've had trouble with shooting form, I've started static with a pile of pucks and just worked on getting a consistently correct form down. From that, I've added some speed and then got some movement elements involved (skating around stickhandling and then just work the shot in or working on tight pivots with a puck and then firing off a wrist shot right after the last pivot). After a while, your body will get programmed to do it right.

And remember, since it's a sweeping motion, the puck should start by your back foot, and not your front foot.