Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Skate Drama - Would love some banter/help

7 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Man... you change my hockey life!  First skate out today on the Supreme s190s I picked up.  What a great skate, best I've ever worn, especially for a first skate.  First time I've gone the entire puck shoot/pickup in years not wanting to get off the ice in foot pain.

Zero arch ache.  The Makos just weren't for me.

Thanks!

Jim

Gotta have comfy feet!

glad they worked out

On 1/21/2017 at 0:15 AM, Anjin-san said:

I had similar issues as the OP with regards to Mako 2's. The arch built into the skate itself was painfully high for my feet. I tried a variety of foot beds as well as foot beds with the arch section completely cut out. Nothing made the pain bareable.

I even tried several pairs to eliminate the chance that my first pair was defective. In swapping them out I did find one pair that felt ok (flatter arch). However the carbon fiber monocoque cracked along the bottom prompting a warranty replacement, in which the arches were once again painfully high.

I'm currently in a pair of MX3's, which are a hair too shallow and slightly too stiff for my liking (causing mild lace bite). I'm also trying to break in a pair of Graf Ultra G5's. However I find that the area right around the ball of my heel appears to be a bit too tight and sometimes leads to mild numbness and discomfort in the heel.  

There's nothing you can do about the stiffness, but for volume try the new Bauer Speedplate footbed.  I had Superfeet yellows in my MX3's, and a friend ordered the wrong size of Speedplates, so he sold them to me at half price.  They definitely take up less volume, especially since they are heat formed and will mold around your foot shape.  I didn't have volume problems in my MX3's, but there is definitely more volume since I switched.  The skates fit, feel, and perform better now too.

I only use the stock Bauer footbeds in my MX3's. I do have a pair of Speedplates but they take up slightly more volume than the stock ones. That being said I've been able to avoid pressure across the top of my foot by being careful not to tie that area too tightly (eyelets 4, 5, and 6 when counting from the toe end of the skate).

Additionally, I use to lace my MX3's all the way to the top but I would leave the top eyelets with no tension at all (almost as though they weren't even threaded). This would result in a lot of discomfort right across the front of my ankle directly behind the the eyelets second from the top, which were tied tightly. Recently I added moderate tension to the top eyelets and had an interesting result. The skates seem to be easier for me to flex forward and I no longer have any discomfort on the front of my ankle. It appears that leaving the top eyelet loose effectively reduced forward flex. It just made it easier for my ankle to lean forward (without flexing the boot itself). With all of the eyelets engaged I have more leverage to flex the boot itself. Needless to say I'm quite happy with the results and the stiffness of the boots (now that I can properly flex them).

39 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

There's nothing you can do about the stiffness, but for volume try the new Bauer Speedplate footbed.  I had Superfeet yellows in my MX3's, and a friend ordered the wrong size of Speedplates, so he sold them to me at half price.  They definitely take up less volume, especially since they are heat formed and will mold around your foot shape.  I didn't have volume problems in my MX3's, but there is definitely more volume since I switched.  The skates fit, feel, and perform better now too.

Less volume than the stock Bauer footbeds, or less than the yellows, or both? Not sure why I am even considering them after one total hour of skating in my new skates, but they look juicy.  I like any equipment that molds!

Edit - The arch on the looks big.  Is it?  The entire reason I switched was to stop arch pain.  Do these mold enough where that steep looking arch in the pictures isn't what it seems?

13 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Less volume than the stock Bauer footbeds, or less than the yellows, or both? Not sure why I am even considering them after one total hour of skating in my new skates, but they look juicy.  I like any equipment that molds!

Edit - The arch on the looks big.  Is it?  The entire reason I switched was to stop arch pain.  Do these mold enough where that steep looking arch in the pictures isn't what it seems?

Definitely less than the Superfeet.  I don't remember the stock footbeds since it's been so long since I used them.

Yes, out of the box, they have a huge arch shaped into them.  But once you bake them it completely flattens out to match your foot.  So don't worry about that, it will mold to however much arch you need.  I know this from experience because of a mistake I made.  I baked and molded the footbeds before my first skate.  They felt great.  I use a Rocket Dryer after each game, and put my skates in.  Well, I guess it gets hot enough to engage the forming stage on the Speedplates.  What's interesting is that while the heat allows them to form to your feet, it also returns the plates back to their original shape if your foot isn't there molding them.  I didn't realize that, so my second game was unbearable because the arch was gigantic.  I assume it was just like your problem.  But I baked them again (with the skates this time to get a perfect fit) and just don't put them in the Rocket dryer anymore.  The arch support is completely flattened out and formed to the inside of the skate.

The speed plates don't really give you any support in the arch, but what they do is mold to your foot based on the arch of the boot you're wearing. So if the boot is too narrow or too wide, the speed plate just conforms more to the boot than the foot. It's better than the normal stock Bauer foot bed though.

I have superfeet yellows in my S190's

I found the arch too high too initially, and I had the boys heat them up a bit and they, like, rolled the arches out a bit 

still get the forward lean and support they offer but less arch 

worked like a dream 

could probably do at home w a heat gun and a rolling pin 

speed plates were garbage IMO