Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

itslunchtime

Switching from Bauer to CCM skates

I currently have some Bauer Supreme 190's in Size 9, skates are a tad long and not wide enough, I also randomly have pain on the corner of my heel.

I was able to do Bauer's new 3d Skate lab at my local shop and it recommended the Supreme 8.5 EE, So that explains some of my issues

I tried on a few CCM skates in the shop but they didn't have any wides - however all the CCM skates felt VERY similar and not as drastic as the Vapor/Supreme/Nexus line differences.

Are the differences in the CCM skates a lot more pronounced once baked?

I had a slightly wider mid foot, but a very narrow heel - any recommendations?

If you have narrow ankles the Jetspeed, FT1 or Supertacks are worth a serious look. I have narrow ankles and wear Jetspeeds with no laces and have good heel lock. But if you were worried about the midfoot then look at the 70k which will supposedly mold to any foot shape and suits a narrow ankle fit. The only issue you may need to consider is the volume and how you might want to address that going forward if you fail the pencil test in any of those lines.

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you have narrow ankles the Jetspeed, FT1 or Supertacks are worth a serious look. I have narrow ankles and wear Jetspeeds with no laces and have good heel lock. But if you were worried about the midfoot then look at the 70k which will supposedly mold to any foot shape and suits a narrow ankle fit. The only issue you may need to consider is the volume and how you might want to address that going forward if you fail the pencil test in any of those lines.

CCM's 2017 lines have had amazing heat molding capabilities. I went from Supreme 170's to Jetspeed FT1's. I do have pretty narrow feet though. The 70K has amazing wrap when heat molded and the Super Tacks are a little bit wider but still would have that great heal lock.

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

You wear skates with no laces?

I'm currently in Bauer 1Xs, and was going to part with them for some Jetspeeds. I couldn't afford FT1s, so I got a SMU version of them. They were much more comfortable in terms of forefoot, and had great heel lock. My issue with them was forward flex. If I laced them all the way up, I did not get as much forward flex as I did from my 1Xs. Also, they seemed higher on the ankle, meaning less mobility as I was skating. If I bypassed the first eyelet, I had great ankle mobility, but so much I lost stability. Maybe I was just too comfortable with my Vapors after having the Vapor series for the last 12 years, but I went back to Bauer.

9 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

You wear skates with no laces?

Yes, for over a year now. Best thing I have ever done in my training and I wish I had had a coach who pushed it during the many years I spent training and playing. If you have any technical deficiencies in your skating, this will tell you immediately. I wont hijack this thread with this topic but if you want to know more just ask.

16 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Yes, for over a year now. Best thing I have ever done in my training and I wish I had had a coach who pushed it during the many years I spent training and playing. If you have any technical deficiencies in your skating, this will tell you immediately. I wont hijack this thread with this topic but if you want to know more just ask.

Like... during games? Or just when working on skating techniques? 

On 9/12/2017 at 7:31 PM, Vet88 said:

When I was a teen, I worked as an instructor at a hockey school run by an ex-NHLer.  On the first day of each session, he made us do drills with our skates untied, just to demonstrate to the kids that you don't need to crank down on your laces.  Ankle mobility is important.  It's one of the reasons I struggle with today's ultra stiff skates.  When I watch today's NHL, I see guys that are quicker than 20 years ago, but they have zero agility in comparison.

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Like... during games? Or just when working on skating techniques? 

Started off just training, then added scrimmages after a year, just recently added games. But the games wasn't a sudden add, I progressively got there by dropping eyelets every 3 months, for the last 6 months prior to no laces I had been playing with the top 3 eyelets undone.

The best way I can describe it is that once you adapt and become used to it, it's about as natural to walking as you will ever get. Your balance over the top of the blade is as close to perfect as it can possibly be, every time, all the time. It has to be or else you fall off your edges or feel your ankle rolling underneath you and collapsing to the ice. My calves and feet ached for about 6 months when I started, this is because you have to use your foot and calf muscles a lot more to skate, you can't rely on the sides of the boot to hold you up and hide the fact that you are not over the top of your blade. 

On topic:

Went from Vapors to last years Jetspeed. Vapors were just right when I first bought them. I think they may have been a little shallow in the depth side for my foot. As the tongue broke down over the years, I got some bad lace bite. Like someone mentioned, the Jetspeeds fit my slightly narrow shaped foot fine and gave me the extra volume I was looking for. It's going to depend on the models you look at and you should try them out in the store if possible. The Ribcors felt great but were hurting my previous lace bite since they didn't have the depth like the Jetspeeds.

Off topic:

Daryl Evans

darylevansnolaces070712.jpg

No laces is pretty badass. I used to warm up with skates untied, get a better feel for the ice, and get some blood volume in my foot so when I tied them they didn't get overtight.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:03 AM, DRR said:

No laces is pretty badass. I used to warm up with skates untied, get a better feel for the ice, and get some blood volume in my foot so when I tied them they didn't get overtight.

I do that. Barely lace my skates in the locker room and then tighten them lightly after warmup. Let's the skate get warm and the blood flowing in your feet before you get set for game time. Also loosens your feet and ankles nicely. I tend to leave m skates fairly loose and never lace the top two eyelets.