Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shorthanded67

Tapered Shafts: Popularity

This is something that I think I can get a wide variety of replies since we have a wide demographic of members from all over North America (and across the water).

I play tons of hockey locally (with literally hundreds of different players) and I can count on one hand the number of tapered shaft combos I see. Other than myself using a Synthesis (and tapered Innos) for a while and some other guy using an R2, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I made the rounds to a couple LHSs last week (including totalhockey.net) and bluntly asked the owners/managers, "How well does the tapered stuff sell?" Their replies were all similar: "Not very well." They explained that tapered shafts cause confusion as to which blades are compatible and which aren't (confusion among kids AND adults). They said that their T-Flexes basically gathered dust for over half a decade and it's the same case with the Synthesis's and R2s.

Basically my research came while hitting the LHSs figuring out who will carry the Mission L2 in a few weeks(I'd rather buy locally first, if something's not available, then I hit the dotcom companies). Only one store plans on carrying it. Another thing I found is that stores are really hurting for shelf-space with this boom of new shafts/OPS coming out over the last 2 years. One store will not even stock Louisville XN10s or Response Plus's until every single original yellow Response is sold (marked down to $89.99 I might add).

My take is that the general hockey public (at least here in my area:St. Louis, MO)is not informed as to the benefits of a tapered combo (lower kickpoint, energy transfer, etc...) in comparison to a standard shaft/blade combo in comparison to a OPS. For the record, as far as composites go here in my area, I'd say the top 4 popularity ranks from most to least (Synergy, Response, Z-Bubble, UL, Vector).

Just looking for some input.

They don't sell around here for crap. Most people I play with at least know of the benefits but just prefer OPS/standard shafts. I think blade availability has one big con but it looks like that's getting better.

Now that you mention it I dont see many tapered shafts around here either. Alot of zbubbles and sticks that taper but then recieve standard blades though. Almost anytime I see anyone with a Synthesis blade is when they have it put in a Synergy so that they cut as little as possible off of the Synergy shaft. Most kids have OPS, and usually its the Synergy. I've seen M1's more and more though.

I can think of one other person in my league that uses a tapered shaft other then me. I never really stopped to think about it but I guess they really arent that popular. OPS are just starting to gain popularity in my league past the people who know their stuff.

Guest phillyfan

Most players you know, at least here, do not have access to forums such as this. Imagine never coming to this forum, let alone any other hockey forum, walking into your local pro-shop, they tell you they have the new T-Flex shafts in. You ask to explain, they explain it has a taper, and fits short hosel blades, ect. I'd bet the majority of the members here would back off, and purchase the standard shaft, even though they probably don't know much about those either. Around here, there is a decent amount of tapered shafts, depending which league I am playing in. For travel, about 3 or 4 players on each team on average tend to use a tapered shaft, while maybe 1 or 2 players in my school league.

There are a couple guys in my inline league with T-Flex's and one guy who doesn't play anymore had a flyweight but yeah, almost nobody uses them around here (NW FL). I'd say the large majority of composite sticks in play in my ice and inline leagues are Z-Bubbles both new and old. After that it's mainly wood varieties. Amazingly, the majority of ice players in my league are using wood still. I still think tapered shafts and blades are the way of the future and eventually we'll see standard phased out.

Shops around here aren't carrying them at all. I find that most of the pro shop employees around here don't think there's a benefit to the tapered shafts.

One of the problems right now is the lack of tapered blades. I'm planning on getting a tapered shaft this weekend if I can find one I like but since CCM doesn't make tapered blades yet, I've have to find another tapered blade that is close to the Thorton pattern I use. I really doubt I will find one locally though. Another problem is that I don't really like the feel of composite blades so I also have to find a wood blade tapered blade that I like if I can. Might have to go composite though. I think I'm going to have some wood blades custom made if possible.

I sold a ton of Flyweights based on my recommendation.

I'll be carrying the XV and L2...I think the L2 will do better due to the fact that it'll bring two blades, and one will be inserted...they'll make the correlation there.

I sold a ton of Flyweights based on my recommendation.

I'll be carrying the XV and L2...I think the L2 will do better due to the fact that it'll bring two blades, and one will be inserted...they'll make the correlation there.

yeah I think Mission is on to something making the shaft and the blades the same color too. They will sell well because there wont be as much questioning from people who dont know as much.

Miserable - I used legend for short hosel custom blades, they had to get shaved down because they werent thin enough but they are great. I actually used one last night for a change to let the xn10 rest.

Miserable - I used legend for short hosel custom blades, they had to get shaved down because they werent thin enough but they are great.  I actually used one last night for a change to let the xn10 rest.

Cool, thanks. I emailed them this moring with some questions about ordering. I think that is the way I'm going to go.

Now I just need to find a shaft I like.

In my area, it seems to be 80% OPS, 10% standard shafts, 5% wood, and last, 5% tapered shafts. Not many people seem to understand the benifit, or how they go together. Selling the Tapered shafts really seems to be quite a task, as teh customers lack the knowledge in most cases. They dont seem to understand taht tapered means smaller hosel. I cant imagine to tell you how many times I have been asked "will this focus flex fit in a synthesis?" Its pretty irritating actually.

Most people around here use ethier a OPS or a standered shaft. Almost everyone has a wood stick for an extra stick though. The only people who have tapered shafts seem to be the ones who got the Synthesis with their skates, or and just knowledgeable about hockey equipment. IMO Tapered shafts are going to phase out OPS too because you can change blades and such. I also think wood will become more popular considering the feel and that alot of companies are starting to offer custom curves.

I'm strange, I prefer a long hosel on my tapered blade. I'm not a huge fan of the short hosel versions.

I play pickup (ice) with guys mostly ages 30+, and most of them think a stick is a stick. Lots of wood, some standard shafts, very few OPS and no tapered shafts besides mine. Even then, none of the standard shafts are anything very recent (a number of older Eastons). On the flip side, I've noticed the people who are willling to spend end up buying OPS and not tapered. Tapered seems to fall in some dead zone between standard and OPS and doesn't stand out in most people's minds as 'revolutionary,' like the Vapor XX skates for example. And explaining tapered technology to some is like me explaining my old job: it's too much they don't know, it's taking too long, they very quickly tune out.

Well, I personally like tapered and hope the industry sticks with it despite the current unpopularity. My LHSs don't seem to mind carrying tapered gear so that's a plus for me. I just hope tapered doesn't disappear because of lacking sales though. I can't say I'm a fan of the long hosel tapered blades, I like the feeling of some flex during shots that I get from short hosel blades.

Around here, there is a little bit of wonder when they see people using a T-Flex or Synth, cuz few know anything about them. In my summer league, I guanrantee nobody else will be using a T-Flex, let alone my custom Legend T-Flex blades, courtesy of the contest that everyone hated... Add to that that I already regulate on everyone at that rink, on offense and D, when I play D in college... I love being better than people : ). Most of the kids I'll play with over the smmer will all work at this one crappy pro shop and all use synergys, which they can't shoot with. That's what I hate the most; kids that think they're the shit cuz they work at a shop and get synergys and act all tough, but it is a great pleasure to knock them down a few notches...

If they continue to market them they way they are. They should pick up in popularity over the next few years.

I've seen most places market them as equal to OPS's in performance but give you the ablity to change blades. Not usre if that is true or not but doesn't seem to far fetched to me. Why would I buy a stck for 170.00 and take a chance on a broken blade when I can get the same set up for 150.00 and have the option to change the blade if I want?

I can't say I'm a fan of the long hosel tapered blades, I like the feeling of some flex during shots that I get from short hosel blades.

I feel that the long hosel flexes more for me.

They don't sell well here, I canremember seeing 3 people excluding myself that were using a tapered combo, and 2 were on the team I coached.

I think I'm the only guy in Eugene who owns a tapered shaft. There aren't a whole lot of OPS to begin with, and those who do have them are always Synergys. Like what other guys have said, I genuinely doubt people understand the benefit of having a tapered shaft/blade combo. I think that of all the teams that I played against this year not from my area, there were only a handful of people who had tapered shafts, and all of those were Synthesis. I know that I personally can't wait until the L-2 comes out, but I have a feeling I'm the only one around here who is.

i love tapered shafts. im currenlty using a tflex, thinking of getting a synthesis and putting a tflex blade in.

many people would rather buy a one piece and cut it after it breaks than buying tapered shaft for 180cdn when the synergys are 200 cdn.

the other people just duno what they are, and jsut stick to the mainstream easton ultralite, zbubble shafts.

then again, here, vancouver bc area, you cannot get great tapered shafts like inno or mission here, its all either synthesis or r2. not much choices.

many people would rather buy a one piece and cut it after it breaks than buying tapered shaft for 180cdn when the synergys are 200 cdn.

Thats a real good point. What would make anyone choose that over a OPS when there is virtually no price difference?

I can't say I'm a fan of the long hosel tapered blades, I like the feeling of some flex during shots that I get from short hosel blades.

I feel that the long hosel flexes more for me.

Do you mean the overall stick flexing or the long hosel area in particular? You're using a stiffer shaft than me, and a wood blade?

I use an 85 flex Synthesis that's cut down several inches, and under slight pressure, I can feel it flex more than I've noticed on an 85 flex Synergy. To me that's where the biggest difference in the top end Eastons is.