Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

I like the way Burke thinks

The NHLPA doesn't want to "guarantee" that salaries would stay at the reduced level and the NHL only wants a system that is idiot-proof.

This deal would actually be a comprimise solution. And currently, comprimise is not a word in either Goodenow's vocabulary, nor Bettman's.

The NHLPA doesn't want to "guarantee" that salaries would stay at the reduced level and the NHL only wants a system that is idiot-proof.

This deal would actually be a comprimise solution. And currently, comprimise is not a word in either Goodenow's vocabulary, nor Bettman's.

doesn't that just piss the heck outa yah?

Part of me says yes and part of me says no.

The part of me that wants the NHL back up and running and on TV wishes that these two could put their egos aside and come up with a deal that along the same lines that many impartial observers have offered up.

Another part of me likes the improved play at the AHL level that I get to see at dirt cheap prices (thanks CCM for the free tickets to last night's Amerks game!!).

I'd also like to see both Bettman and Goodenow get what they deserve along with all the greedy people that they represent on both sides of this argument.

And in the end I'm left saying F 'em if they can't work something out.

Revenue sharing is what will make the NHL more solid, than any of the other financial issues in play.

His first proposal is never going to happen and doesn't make sense for the players to hold out for such a major loss.

The second proposal is pretty nice, though a multi-level tax may be easier to agree upon. I'd also like to see a lower cap on rookie salaries and the ability to get more through incentives. who was worth more their second or third year in the league, Joe Thornton or Kovalchuck? If he earns it, pay him.

Burke is making a good proposal for the fans.

However, both sides in the dispute (NHL and NHLPA) don't think that the fans have any power because these sides believe, rightly or wrongly, that we will go crawling back to see the games. In their eyes, there are just too many of us (fans), so we don't have that much power. If a few of decide to boycott the return of the games, some others will end up going.

In business, it always pays to have a lot of customers (us fans); if a bunch decide to not buy, there are a lot more to choose from.

F-this...put a cap on how much the owners can spend, not on what players can make.

This is what got us in this situation in the first place.

Serenity now!!!

F-this...put a cap on how much the owners can spend, not on what players can make.

This is what got us in this situation in the first place.

Serenity now!!!

That is exactly what they are proposing. If you look at an average player salary of 1.8 million x 700 NHL players that gives you 1.260 billion. Take a 40 million dollar HARD cap amongst 30 NHL teams and you get 1.2 billion in potential salaries. With a 40 million dollar cap somebody like Peter Forsberg still has the potential to make 10 million dollars a season, but then he wouldn't quite have the supporting cast he has now in Colorado. BUT, a hard cap would ensure people like Bobby Holik don't make 9 million, or that people like Yashin don't make 8.5 million.