Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
kac1

Stick Help

I am in the market for a new stick. I am currently using a Bauer APX2 Intermediate P88 that I do like but would like to upgrade to something newer and higher end. I would like to either stay within the Bauer line or move to something similar in the CCM or True line. I have never used anything but Bauer so I am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have a preference in kick points, low-kick, mid-kick, etc.? Do you have blade preferences in terms of more lively or dampened?

Of the current generation of sticks, the CCM Jetspeed is probably the closest to what the APX2 was in terms of how the stick is designed to flex. If you want to stick with Bauer, the Vapor 1X is the direct descendant of the APX2. Though, they have made significant changes over the years, so I'd also look at the Bauer Nexus 2N Pro. Those are the Bauer sticks that I'd look at.

In terms of True, check out their A series sticks, the A 6.0 SPB and the A 6.0 HT. The SPB is the midkick version and the HT is the low kick version.

Also, when you're comparing at sticks between Bauer and CCM, watch out for their naming systems. They can be confusing. For example. The 2N Pro is the top stick in the Nexus line and the 2N is second on he pole. With CCM the Jetspeed Pro is second on the pole, while the plain Jetspeed is the top stick. 

If you like the puck feel of the APX2 and the shaft shape you should stick with Bauer and get a 1X in either generation. The APX2 is an “Intelli-Sense” kickpoint but the 1X is a low kick point. Puck feel will be very similar. The Jetspeed does not play anything like it. If you wanted something with a stiff blade and a low kick point in CCM you can look for pro stock ultra/super or Supertacks 2.0 LK sticks which is a team stick but plays very nicely. 

The APX2 is a better stick than most models out today (and a number of pros still use the build). I would keep your expectations in check with regard to the new stick being an “upgrade” outside of your stick simply needing to be replaced.

That said- 1X, Trigger, or QRL/QRE are your best bet for a similar feel and kick despite their use of gimmicky technology in the taper.