Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
marka

Officiating 101

Howdy,

Yeah, those answers feel right to me (not that I have the hockey history that most here do).

But I'm not finding that stuff in the rulebook.

This rule is about the puck going out of play:
https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084689-rule-631-puck-out-of-bounds-or-unplayable

And this is about hand passes:
https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084666-rule-618-handling-puck-with-hands

The handpass rule specifically says "directly to a teammate"... Nothing about the other team getting possession or whatever.  It seems like if a deflection out of play counts as a 'last play' (and I can certainly see that), it ought to count if its a deflection off a goaltender's pads too, right?  And therefore that wouldn't be a handpass?

I'm asking because I frequently struggle to find the "of course" answers to weird situations like this in the actual black and white rule book.  Which I'm pretty sure is more an indication that I don't know how to read the book, more than anything else.  And which I'd like to get better at, because I hate not knowing the underlying rules in those weird situations.

Mark

This is from the Hockey Canada rule book:

SITUATION 2 Rule 9.1 (d) 
QUESTION:
The puck is batted with the hand, hits the opposing goaltender, rebounds back out and is 
picked up by another player of the same team batting the puck. Does play continue or is 
play stopped? 
ANSWER:
Play is stopped. Play can only continue if the non-offending team gains “possession and 
control” of the puck. Since the puck only hit the goaltender (possession, but not control), 
play would be stopped.

The rule itself is similar to what you see in the US rule book. It's clarified in the situation. Here's the rule:

(d) A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with her open hand, or to 
push it along the ice with her hand and play shall not be stopped, unless the player 
has directed the puck to a teammate in the neutral or attacking zone. When this 
occurs play shall be stopped and the puck faced-off at the spot where the offense oc-
curred, unless the offending team gains a territorial advantage, then the face-off shall 
be where the stoppage of play occurred, unless otherwise covered in the rules. Play 
shall not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

So I would look at the situations or cases. Under the HC rules, the hand pass situation is similar to high sticking the puck. Those are only negated if the opposing team gains possession and control. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Yeah, those answers feel right to me (not that I have the hockey history that most here do).

But I'm not finding that stuff in the rulebook.

This rule is about the puck going out of play:
https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084689-rule-631-puck-out-of-bounds-or-unplayable

And this is about hand passes:
https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084666-rule-618-handling-puck-with-hands

The handpass rule specifically says "directly to a teammate"... Nothing about the other team getting possession or whatever.  It seems like if a deflection out of play counts as a 'last play' (and I can certainly see that), it ought to count if its a deflection off a goaltender's pads too, right?  And therefore that wouldn't be a handpass?

I'm asking because I frequently struggle to find the "of course" answers to weird situations like this in the actual black and white rule book.  Which I'm pretty sure is more an indication that I don't know how to read the book, more than anything else.  And which I'd like to get better at, because I hate not knowing the underlying rules in those weird situations.

Mark

Remember to read your casebook, not just the rule.

For the puck out of play, the face off is located based on who caused the puck to go out of play.  "Last play" faceoffs are determined by which team's actions caused the stoppage.  In your case, the defending team caused the stoppage by deflecting the puck, and since it was inside his defending zone, the faceoff is at the nearest end-zone faceoff spot to where the puck went out.

For the hand pass, it's defined in Situation 4 of the casebook

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1085021-handling-puck-with-hands

• Like 3