Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
wetwilly17

Supreme 2S vs S29 and Curv Composite

I haven't purchased skates in a long time and there are no hockey shops near me.  Recently when I was out of town for business, I was able to try on some Supreme 2S skates and vapor X800.  As I've come to find, the Vapor line fits me poorly.  But the 2S skates felt great and with good heel lock.  The shop was extremely busy, I had limited time and didn't intend to buy so I ended it there, satisfied that I fit the supreme line.  In a perfect world, the supreme skate would be a little more narrow though and slightly less ankle volume for me.  Which brings me to my questions.

1) I really don't need the performance of the 2S, but was looking at them because I was under the impression that the Curv Composite would wrap my foot better during baking and provide a better fit and better support.  Is this the case?  If not, I'm sure I would be just as satisfied with the S29, enjoying the extra cash in my wallet.  What are the benefits of Curv?

2) Would the S29s fit the same as the 2S?

3) Does the tightness of the heel pads relax during baking, losing some of the heal lock?  This seemed to happen in my last pair of skates but it has been so long I can't remember for sure.  By searching, it seems that others have experienced this too.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, wetwilly17 said:

I haven't purchased skates in a long time and there are no hockey shops near me.  Recently when I was out of town for business, I was able to try on some Supreme 2S skates and vapor X800.  As I've come to find, the Vapor line fits me poorly.  But the 2S skates felt great and with good heel lock.  The shop was extremely busy, I had limited time and didn't intend to buy so I ended it there, satisfied that I fit the supreme line.  In a perfect world, the supreme skate would be a little more narrow though and slightly less ankle volume for me.  Which brings me to my questions.

1) I really don't need the performance of the 2S, but was looking at them because I was under the impression that the Curv Composite would wrap my foot better during baking and provide a better fit and better support.  Is this the case?  If not, I'm sure I would be just as satisfied with the S29, enjoying the extra cash in my wallet.  What are the benefits of Curv?

2) Would the S29s fit the same as the 2S?

3) Does the tightness of the heel pads relax during baking, losing some of the heal lock?  This seemed to happen in my last pair of skates but it has been so long I can't remember for sure.  By searching, it seems that others have experienced this too.

Thanks!

1: The S29 is a fibre composite and not Curv. They will both bake mostly similar but the Curv will obviously be stiffer. 

2: The fit will be mostly the same, but with fewer foams and padding it might fit a little bigger

3: Usually, yes. 

2S is more thermoformable than the S29. Also big difference in stiffness, liner, and steel.  From experience I’ve found the heel lock to be tighter post bake when done properly. 

Make sure you get the fit correct too.  I recently went to a store and was able to take advantage of the Bauer electronic fit station.  The machine showed me in a 9.5D Vapor line, but the employee fit me at a 10-10.5 using the old method.  Tracing foot at home method showed me in a 10.  I ended up going with a 10.5 Supreme 2S because of how they felt in the store.  After skating on them a couple times it was obvious they were too big.  Now I've got a 9.5 Supreme 2S. There is no negative space in the skate after baking and the skate feels like its molded on my foot, with great heel lock (I also purchased Bauer Speedplates).  So be careful of how they feel in the store, because like you asked, they will break in and feel different afterwards.  I was amazed what a huge difference in feel there is between a 9.5 and 10.5.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mojo122 said:

2S is more thermoformable than the S29. Also big difference in stiffness, liner, and steel.  From experience I’ve found the heel lock to be tighter post bake when done properly. 

thanks.  the 2s seemed to offer really good forward flex while being very stiff in the lateral direction.

5 hours ago, ricepow said:

Make sure you get the fit correct too.  I recently went to a store and was able to take advantage of the Bauer electronic fit station.  The machine showed me in a 9.5D Vapor line, but the employee fit me at a 10-10.5 using the old method.  Tracing foot at home method showed me in a 10.  I ended up going with a 10.5 Supreme 2S because of how they felt in the store.  After skating on them a couple times it was obvious they were too big.  Now I've got a 9.5 Supreme 2S. There is no negative space in the skate after baking and the skate feels like its molded on my foot, with great heel lock (I also purchased Bauer Speedplates).  So be careful of how they feel in the store, because like you asked, they will break in and feel different afterwards.  I was amazed what a huge difference in feel there is between a 9.5 and 10.5.

That's a full size. I would imagine it would feel very obvious. Even a half size is noticeable. 

Has anyone skates in both the s29 and 2s? I’m kinda torn between them. I have the exact opposite worries in each- that the s29 will be too soft and break down quickly, and that the s2 will be too stiff. I tried them both on in the store, but I’m not good at translating that to how they’ll feel on the ice.  

Mid level adult league player, 4 times a week. I have 190s (not the s190, the MX3 line) now, so the 2s seems like the obvious choice and I’m overthinking. I know the 190 and 2s both have Curve composite, but it seems like there’s different types of Curve. 

I’ll replace the steel with Step, so the garbage ls1 isn’t an issue. 

7 minutes ago, start_today said:

Has anyone skates in both the s29 and 2s? I’m kinda torn between them. I have the exact opposite worries in each- that the s29 will be too soft and break down quickly, and that the s2 will be too stiff. I tried them both on in the store, but I’m not good at translating that to how they’ll feel on the ice.  

Mid level adult league player, 4 times a week. I have 190s (not the s190, the MX3 line) now, so the 2s seems like the obvious choice and I’m overthinking. I know the 190 and 2s both have Curve composite, but it seems like there’s different types of Curve. 

I’ll replace the steel with Step, so the garbage ls1 isn’t an issue. 

The 2S is supposed to be between the S180 and S190, so it should be very close to your 190's in terms of stiffness.