Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

weightlifting

I used to work on the leg press machine, do squats, then lots of reps of light weights for the upper body. Don't fall into the allure of building big "useless" muscles, work with smaller weights and build up quickness and explosion (wow that sounded lame).

I am starting weightlifting at my school, and I was wondering what are the most important muscles for hockey that I should focus on.....

I do recommend the Complete conditionning for ice hockey book to you. With that, you will not have another questions. I have it, and it's awesome.

work everything!!! SB39 will back me up on this. If one part is stronger than another the weaker part will fail i.e. injuries. Trust me its worth it too work everything evenly. Emphasis on strength, 3 set of 4-6 reps choose a weight where you can do 4 reps but no more than 6. An stick to main compound excersizes. Bench press, Mil press or Push press, Squat!, deadlift!, Curls, Chinups, Skullcrushers

I agree--there are probably some good books out there. But definitely dead lifts, core (with a weighted exercise ball) exercises and split squats. Also, running sprints will really help as well.

You can't beat the squat for starting out. But get some training, as you want to improve your body--not wreck it. Don't let your knees stick out in front of your toes during the movement (to protect the knees). Go with lighter weight but slow movement. Go down slowly. Get really deep, come up a little (maybe 15%) then go down deep and explode up. You can get a lot of benefit from not too much weight on the bar.

And don't EVER go heavy on a leg extension machine!

I am starting weightlifting at my school, and I was wondering what are the most important muscles for hockey that I should focus on.....

I do recommend the Complete conditionning for ice hockey book to you. With that, you will not have another questions. I have it, and it's awesome.

Best advice you'll get, tips on exercises, off and on-Ice drills, nutrition and a all round great book.

If you're new to weights, be sure that you get plenty of coaching and spotting at first. Weights can really help your game, but missing a year of hockey because of a screw-up in the gym isn't worth it..

As far as which movements to do.. The other folks here are right on. Isolation movements aren't going to pay very much off as far as hockey goes. Stick with strength/power moves. Squats, lunges, & leg presses for lower body. Bench press, millitary press, and rows for your upper body. Plus plenty of work on your abdominal and lower back muscles.

After a few weeks of light-ish weights (10-15 reps), you can start adding weight. The idea is to figure out which weight you can do 4-6 reps with and then work to build that up. So if you start out bench pressing 150 for 5 reps, try for 6 next week. If you get it, move up to 155 or 160 and see how many reps you can do. If you keep the intensity high, you should progress quickly.

Be sure to get plenty of rest and watch what you eat. Junk food won't allow your body to recover & grow.

Proper form...can't emphasize this enough.

Don't go heavy just to impress people. Work your way up to heavier weights using proper form.

in order of importance:

1. squats - glutes legs- they actually build all the muscles used for skating/ most athletic movements

2. deadlifts- builds primary power in back, legs, core

3. abs/core- aids in all on-ice movements, acts as a hinge for your upper/lower body

4 . presses/ for upper body power

stick to compund movements that work the most muscles at once, this is how they will perform during the game so thats how they should be trained.

I spent the major part of last year trying to gain mass and when hockey started my play took a nose dive. Now my focus is getting lean, with emphasis on strengthening the legs, back and core muscles and cardio. Everyone is different and there are lots of good suggestions in this post but the bottom line is find what works for you and most of all train right and train hard.

It would be good to appy two different types of protocols for upper and lower body. For lower body, you want to gain strength and mass to get faster and lower your center of gravity. Stick with squats, deadlifts, lunges, and any variety of calf exercise. Go medium to heavy, 12-20 total sets for leg day. For upper body, a good way to develop strength and lose a bit of fat, try what I've been doing: superset dips and pullups/chins, for 10-15 reps each, as many sets as you can stand without your skin riping in half (you get a massive pump from this) and, if you're ambitious, throw in a couple sets of abs in each superset. Supersetting like this is a great way to burn some fat, get a cardio workout, and bumb up your natural strength. It helps that I just started CEE and it definitely gives me a boost; I recommend it to anyone... Remember, we are hockey players, we have more of an obligation to building our legs than almost any other athlete; leg day should be the worst day of your life each and every week.

yeah, i heard to try to go hard and push it to the limit gradually when you are weightlifting... then on ice, you will notice the difference because of your training... Some advice I got from an expert.

DrMolotov, comrade, its pretty hard to keep it on during season. Your eating has to do a major switch in-season.

In season you have to increase the carbs dramatically, and eat like a horse. Eat a great breakfast, good lunch, sandwich before practice, food right after practice, good supper, food before you sleep. And you have to keep up some weightlifting during the season, because skating alone will not keep up the muscles. Eat eat eat, but keep off the fried foods and limit the pure sugars (soda, candy,etc) to just before or after workout where they will go right into the muscle mass.

Off season you have to cut those carbs way down, and really step up the weight training--at least 3 good workouts a week, and 5 would be better.

leg day should be the worst day of your life each and every week.

...and the best :) I look forward to it. Squats, Stiff-leg deadlifts, leg press, lunges, I LOVE LEGS. before u add serious weight make sure ur form is PERFECT.

shoutout to my fav excersize Deadlift; I WILL GET 300lbs

I searched and came up with this! I started training for hockey season and here's the routine the gym dude gave me

-10 Minute warm up on bike

Abs

-Cable Crunches: 2 sets of 15 reps

-Leg Raises:3 sets of 15 reps

Lower Back

-Hyper-extension: 2 sets of 15 reps

Thighs

-Squats on a machine called the "smith machine" 3 sets of 15 reps

-Using a machine know as the abductor adductor, for groins, 2 sets of 15 reps

Calves

-Seated Calve Raise:2 sets of 15 reps

Chest

-Bench Press: 3 sets of 12 reps

-Incline Dumbbell press: 2 sets of 12 reps

Cardio Sprint for 5 minutes on a machine known as "X-Trainer"

Shoulders and Traps

-Seated Later Raises: 2 sets of 15 reps

Back

-Cable Rowing: 2 sets of 15 reps

Biceps

-Barbell Curl: 2 sets of 15 reps

Cardio Sprint on stepper for 5 minutes

Triceps

-Cable extension using rope: 2 sets of 15 reps

Is this a good program to use. Anythings I should emphasize more on, and less on? Any help would be appreciated.

Not all of that in one day, and 3 sets of 15 on the squat seems like a little much. You should be going for more weight less reps for explosiveness and power.

I've read just about every thread on weight lifting that this forum has in it's archives. I've got an idea of what' to do and not to do, however I would like to know if this is a feasible program. I'm just looking for some feedback.

Ive always wondered this, would it be good to do your leg workout on a day that your going to skate. IE. workout at like 10:00am and skate at 9:00pm. I always think that it keeps your legs streached out so you don't loose felxability.

Q&A, do you have a rest interval? just to know and I think it's very important to respect it. and do you strech before and after, it should take at least 20 minutes.

Q&A, do you have a rest interval? just to know and I think it's very important to respect it. and do you strech before and after, it should take at least 20 minutes.

Yes and Yes! Cavs, What do you suggest I take out of the workout, and do separate? Anything else that should be different or changed? Thanks for the help.