Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
caveman27

Lundqvist to get open heart surgery

Veteran NHL goaltender Henrik Lundqvist announced Monday that he will have open-heart surgery.

"Last 3 weeks my focus has shifted from training camp and the upcoming season to my health and what I can and can't do," he posted to social media.

"Scheduled for an open heart surgery now - aortic valve replacement, aortic root and ascending aortic replacement, to be more exact."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/capitals-g-lundqvist-open-heart-155334650.html

I think he's done with playing pro hockey. He could switch to coaching, scouting or color commentary in the future if he wants to stay connected to the game in some other way.

Sadly, I think you are right.  I think Hank's pro career is over.  So unfortunate that he might not get to win a Cup.  He's my favorite player, and I was rooting for him to go to a contender and win the Cup, a la Bourque.

Rumors are (and just rumors) that if he retires, he'll be offered a front office position with the NYR.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

It's more than just rumors that he will be offered a FO position.  JD confirmed it. No way he plays again.  Very sad but his health is what's important.  Amazing he was able to play as long as he did.  I am sure it was closely monitored.

I think he'll wait to see how his recovery goes before making any final decisions. The recovery time to "normal" activity after what he is having done is about 8 weeks so pretty safe to say that this season is lost but there is always the outside possibility he could try to give it a go for the 21-22 season.

I admired his decision not to get dealt to a contender and stay with the Rangers to try and help them get better. Sad he may never get a Cup as a player but I have mixed feelings about guys who skip town to chase a championship. I'm still torn in how to feel about Bourque raising the Cup in Colorado. I do know this, the Avs should never have retired his number.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, chippa13 said:

I think he'll wait to see how his recovery goes before making any final decisions. The recovery time to "normal" activity after what he is having done is about 8 weeks so pretty safe to say that this season is lost but there is always the outside possibility he could try to give it a go for the 21-22 season.

I admired his decision not to get dealt to a contender and stay with the Rangers to try and help them get better. Sad he may never get a Cup as a player but I have mixed feelings about guys who skip town to chase a championship. I'm still torn in how to feel about Bourque raising the Cup in Colorado. I do know this, the Avs should never have retired his number.

I met Bourque a couple of times and got to play against him in a Pro Am a few years ago.  He's not a very nice guy, so I'm not thrilled that he got the cup with Colorado.