Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
in2hockey04

Glove Repalming

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

Even for $50, is it even worth it? 

What's the cost of a decent pair of gloves these days. Not much. Super cheap on Sideline Swap for gloves that are hardly worn. 

It's worth it for the people who want to keep their gloves. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:41 PM, Sniper9 said:

It's worth it for the people who want to keep their gloves. 

Yes. And there are some obvious examples. Maybe someones Team USA gloves? We just played a hs team that has a kid that played for Team USA this past summer. He still has his gear, was using a red Team USA stick in the game. Can't really keep using those sticks forever but you can keep the gloves going!

I'm in this thread because my sons practice gloves have holes in them. The lining and padding are in nice shape, gloves are only a year old. So trying to weigh the new vs repair. Gloves are retail Bauer 2S Pro.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:33 PM, pgeorgan said:

For special circumstances ya I can understand that.

Otherwise, I'd rather sell them online for scrap, then combined with the $50 I would've spent on repalming I could prob get a relatively new high-end pair and just move on. 

All depends on the gloves really.  In the past I'd just get new gloves but now I'm hooked on a certain model that is pro stock only and is hard to find in certain colors/sizes/options.  I used to be able to pick up a brand new pair of HG12's for around $100 or less but now they're closer to $200 and are harder to find how I like them (13" with flex thumbs), so if I can get them re-palmed for $100 it's well worth it for me since I'd be spending double that on a new pair if I could find them.  If it's something common and easy to find then yea I agree that just replacing them would be the better option.

Like others have said, it can be tough to find specific models or in specs that you like. Two favorite pairs for me are rare winter classic mitts that are pretty much impossible to find so I’d like to keep them going as long as I can. With CPR, I’d modify gloves to my desired gusset specs (reduced 1/4”) and almost always some form of red palms which I’m just a sucker for 

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

This is more like sports memorabilia.

I was talking more towards practicality of replacing gloves that I actually use and abuse and have no attachment to.

I do actually use these… hence the need to repalm them

On 1/14/2023 at 2:25 AM, Westside said:

Anyone used ITR before? 

https://instagram.com/itr_hockey?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

Happy with the pair I had done by Joe (hockey menders) before he retired, but miss CPR. Have one pair of gloves I’d love to have the palms/gussets redone but am patiently waiting for the day they allow retail orders again. No one does a better job than them 

He does top notch, high quality work, you won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

FYI, ITR is Ian Roberts. He gave me an estimate of $85-$105 depending on material options. About a month wait.

I'm not sure what I will do. That's on the upper end of the price range for me. Might just get a new pair.

11 hours ago, 218hockey said:

FYI, ITR is Ian Roberts. He gave me an estimate of $85-$105 depending on material options. About a month wait.

I'm not sure what I will do. That's on the upper end of the price range for me. Might just get a new pair.

I do this work in the UK and absolutely understand the pricing.  I also get people who have told me where to go because they can just buy a new pair of gloves.

It is up to each person to decide what is the best option for them and their attachment level to their gloves.  I use to have mine done before I got into the business myself. I would rather spend the money on new palms as the rest of the glove is still in excellent shape. I also bought the top end model at the time so for me it was a saving to just repalm than new gloves.  If you buy entry or mid-range model gloves then it might just be cost effective to buy new.

If you do a comparison of models over the years the new ones aren't always be best constructed or longevity of the materials used.  I have seen more failures of new equipment within wearing for first time within weeks.  New gloves and needing one palm redone on a kids glove because it has gone through the overlay and palm material.  Parent was glad to pay £35 for a new palm and what I feel is better quality palm material, should be good for a few seasons.

I also have clients coming to me thrilled their gloves they bought in 2010 can now come out of retirement and use them again and nothing new has felt the same. I'm currently doing a rebuild of a favourite pair of gloves for a client. 

I have had a few pro players come to me for repalm and also wanted them done in a day and back to them (expecting to skip the line of equipment I already have in), I aim for 10-14 business day turn around. 

Again, down to each person for their budget and needs. 

• Like 2

Just got my HG12's back from ITR and I'm psyched.... I went with goat palm with Kovi style digi overlays and airknit mesh gussets (my old gussets were worn through on a few fingers so since I had to replace them anyways I figured I'd go with something different).  They feel awesome, can't wait to try them out tomorrow night.

52760454764_5c8afbb4f0_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52759664612_bef8c86edf_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Just got my HG12's back from ITR and I'm psyched.... I went with goat palm with Kovi style digi overlays and airknit mesh gussets (my old gussets were worn through on a few fingers so since I had to replace them anyways I figured I'd go with something different).  They feel awesome, can't wait to try them out tomorrow night.

52760454764_5c8afbb4f0_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52759664612_bef8c86edf_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

Those look great!

• Like 1