Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

CCM AS-V Skate Line

Recommended Posts

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for AS-V skates so figured I'd ask here.  I had heard that the AS-V skate line was supposed to release today, but I know there was a recall due to holder issues.  Anyone know when these skates will actually be available in stores?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boo10 said:

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for AS-V skates so figured I'd ask here.  I had heard that the AS-V skate line was supposed to release today, but I know there was a recall due to holder issues.  Anyone know when these skates will actually be available in stores?

They are in store, we have been selling them for a while. The holder issue resulted in a recall that affected stores, some had a small percent with issues while others had to send a significant portion of their inventory back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PBH said:

They are in store, we have been selling them for a while. The holder issue resulted in a recall that affected stores, some had a small percent with issues while others had to send a significant portion of their inventory back. 

What was the issue with the holders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are they still as stiff or even stiffer then AS3 pros? They have same issue with toe cap as 100k or ft4 and last one question, they still have same anatomical and too tight and aggressive heel as previous tacks(heel pain as hell and developing haglund deformity) ? I really like to have answers to this questions if someone had previous tacks and have or tried asv pros. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PBH said:

They are in store, we have been selling them for a while. The holder issue resulted in a recall that affected stores, some had a small percent with issues while others had to send a significant portion of their inventory back. 

Interesting. Was the official release date pushed back or did I have bad information? 

I went into Pro Hockey Life last weekend and was told they had to send back all the inventory they had received because roughly 80% of the skates had holder issues.

CCM also has no information on the AS-V skates on their website, nor does any retailer have them officially listed for sale as of this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, boo10 said:

Interesting. Was the official release date pushed back or did I have bad information? 

I went into Pro Hockey Life last weekend and was told they had to send back all the inventory they had received because roughly 80% of the skates had holder issues.

CCM also has no information on the AS-V skates on their website, nor does any retailer have them officially listed for sale as of this morning.

Official release date was pushed due to the holder issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2022 at 1:58 AM, PBH said:

Official release date was pushed due to the holder issues. 

Any idea what the issue was? 

edit:  Nevermind, i found it on redit.  Warped holders from their pre-bake process at the factory since the skates dont come with steel in the holders

Edited by noupf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what did the warped holders do.   Just replaced 10 year old skates with v-s and it was not easy getting the v-steel blade in...  still not even sure its all the way in because when the blade isn't in the metal part is inside holder and with blades it sticks a bit out and not sure it is locking.... I am worried that this is caused by the warping  or maybe I shouldn't worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can give a little insight.  I have AS3's and the Step Steel goes into the xs holder with the screw knob turning all the way into the holder. (nothing sticks out of the back)

I had in my possession new AS-V Pro's, on these the same blade goes in much, much tighter and the screw when tightened all the way still sticks out of the back of the holder just the littlest of bit. ((I returned them because of the boot not being molded uniformly) (not holder issue)). I hope the newer holder is how it should be from now on because I feel the holder on my AS3's is almost a little loose when tightened all the down. When walking to the ice it sounds like the blades have the slightest play (tick sound).

I should have AS-V's  (non Pro) coming tomorrow. Don't screw it up USPS!! I hope that the holder is perfectly straight... but is still a tighter fit like the pair I had to send back. I'm sure It will loosen up over time a little like my last pair did.

A non technical test for holder straightness is to put the front of the blade into the holder (if the blade is straight to begin with) and see how close it comes to sliding straight down on the back. I saw a pair that with the front of the blade in... the back was off to one side by quite a bit. A straight edge will show this also with the blade installed. I will respond with results but it will be a couple weeks before I can get back on the ice. Booooooo

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, c henry said:

what did the warped holders do.   Just replaced 10 year old skates with v-s and it was not easy getting the v-steel blade in...  still not even sure its all the way in because when the blade isn't in the metal part is inside holder and with blades it sticks a bit out and not sure it is locking.... I am worried that this is caused by the warping  or maybe I shouldn't worry.

As long as the front goes in first, the hook gets to the right spot, then you press the rear in and tighten down you should be god.  When done correctly there's a small gap/notch in the rear where the blade meets the holder.  If there's any gap up front then the hook might not have caught and the blade is not seated correctly.  Here's the rear notch:

EP4KKFpWsAARnVg.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, c henry said:

what did the warped holders do.   Just replaced 10 year old skates with v-s and it was not easy getting the v-steel blade in...  still not even sure its all the way in because when the blade isn't in the metal part is inside holder and with blades it sticks a bit out and not sure it is locking.... I am worried that this is caused by the warping  or maybe I shouldn't worry.

The holder was mounted on the boot without a steel in it which caused it to bind. When you try and insert steel into the holder its very difficult and you might not be able to get the locking mechanism to tighten properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PBH said:

The holder was mounted on the boot without a steel in it which caused it to bind. When you try and insert steel into the holder its very difficult and you might not be able to get the locking mechanism to tighten properly. 

Are they still in the process of fixing the mistake?  I want to try these, but would rather not risk purchasing some of the affected lot of these skates ( even if they are repaired or inspected ).  Wondering how long we should wait until the are coming out of the factory 100% correct to begin with.

 

Were the AS-V ( non pro models ) affected as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, noupf said:

Are they still in the process of fixing the mistake?  I want to try these, but would rather not risk purchasing some of the affected lot of these skates ( even if they are repaired or inspected ).  Wondering how long we should wait until the are coming out of the factory 100% correct to begin with.

Were the AS-V ( non pro models ) affected as well?

CCM directed dealers were supposed to have shipped back inventory and replacement inventory would be shipped. I know most dealers did this, but some decided to just deal with the holder issues as the occurred. My understanding was this was only specific to the AS-V and AS-V Pro skates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new AS-V's take a great amount of force (like standing full weight on it) to seat the blade far enough into the holder to get the screw pin to engage.

AS3's have always been easy to do by hand.. (back skate)    vs.       AS-V front skate.

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

 

Here was the AS-V PRO that got sent back...(to much $$$ for me to live with this)

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

(Edited to add below:  My new AS-V's... as they should be! )

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

 

On a different topic: Maybe someone can help answer this.... Does new packaged StepSteel come flat and discolored from heat treat? Almost rough looking I thought, I have forgot from the last set.

Because that ones I was sent had a rough first part, then to me looks like a smooth grind pass across the whole blade (part with the point). The new lower grind is from my Sparx. 

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

I don't really care much since it saved using a bunch of passes on the wheel... It only took 4 passes with 1/2" to be done. Normally hear about it taking 10 or so when the steel is new.  Oh well.

 

Edited by BTSyndrome
Added pic of AS-V boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BTSyndrome said:

 

 

 

Here was the AS-V PRO that got sent back...(to much $$$ for me to live with this)

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

 

On a different topic: Maybe someone can help answer this.... Does new packaged StepSteel come flat and discolored from heat treat? Almost rough looking I thought, I have forgot from the last set.

Because that ones I was sent had a rough first part, then to me looks like a smooth grind pass across the whole blade (part with the point). The new lower grind is from my Sparx. 

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

I don't really care much since it saved using a bunch of passes on the wheel... It only took 4 passes with 1/2" to be done. Normally hear about it taking 10 or so when the steel is new.  Oh well.

 

I think you're really overthinking this. The holder isn't supposed to be centered. It's supposed to be mounted towards the inside of the boot. Also nothing wrong with the upper. And yes, runners look a little rough when you get them after they stamp them out and rough grind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, BTSyndrome said:

My new AS-V's take a great amount of force (like standing full weight on it) to seat the blade far enough into the holder to get the screw pin to engage.

AS3's have always been easy to do by hand.. (back skate)    vs.       AS-V front skate.

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

 

Here was the AS-V PRO that got sent back...(to much $$$ for me to live with this)

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

(Edited to add below:  My new AS-V's... as they should be! )

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

 

On a different topic: Maybe someone can help answer this.... Does new packaged StepSteel come flat and discolored from heat treat? Almost rough looking I thought, I have forgot from the last set.

Because that ones I was sent had a rough first part, then to me looks like a smooth grind pass across the whole blade (part with the point). The new lower grind is from my Sparx. 

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

I don't really care much since it saved using a bunch of passes on the wheel... It only took 4 passes with 1/2" to be done. Normally hear about it taking 10 or so when the steel is new.  Oh well.

 

I don't see anything wrong with the holders on the as-v pro you returned. You can't look at them compare them the way you do to see if they are centred. If it's centered between tow cap and at the heel you're good. Not at the forefoot area you highlighted. 

 

Secondly are your as3s step steel or ccm steel. I ask bc step has never fit into tuuk or ccm holders as easily as stock steel made by respective companies. Step always required a bit more effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "holder" on the AS-V Pro was not the problem, the fact the entire boot last was not centered when formed is what annoyed me. A thousand dollar pair of skates should not have inconsistencies like this.

All three sets I have are StepSteel, first two shipped directly from CCM and most recent from PureHockey with the skates... all slide into the old holders so easily compared to the new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went to my LHS to get scanned for a pair of ASV-Pro Custom+ skates. I has previously ordered AS3 Pro skates, but they were unable to produce them due to supply shortages. I told them to keep the money and I would put it towards the new model when it came out. The new model has been out for over a month and I was told to come in for my fitting. When I got to the store they said they could only do AS3 or FT4 customs and they had no timeline for when the ASV customs would be available. This is ridiculous and a major failing on CCMs part. What is going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason said:

I just went to my LHS to get scanned for a pair of ASV-Pro Custom+ skates. I has previously ordered AS3 Pro skates, but they were unable to produce them due to supply shortages. I told them to keep the money and I would put it towards the new model when it came out. The new model has been out for over a month and I was told to come in for my fitting. When I got to the store they said they could only do AS3 or FT4 customs and they had no timeline for when the ASV customs would be available. This is ridiculous and a major failing on CCMs part. What is going on?

They need to update the CCM app. ASV-Pro Custom and Custom Plus are available already. I just did a pair for a customer in gunmetal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PBH said:

They need to update the CCM app. ASV-Pro Custom and Custom Plus are available already. I just did a pair for a customer in gunmetal. 

Awesome. Thank you my friend. I will let the store know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...