Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Znqt

True Catalyst Pro Skates

I recently picked up a pair of the True Catalyst Pro "hybrid custom" skates and I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried them. Because they're still quite new there's limited reviews and info about them online apart from the marketing content that True themselves have put out there.

I've skated in them roughly 6 times so far and here are my thoughts:

1) They are very comfortable; my feet do not hurt at allwith these skates on

2) I am having a very difficult time getting used to how they feel. My skating feels "clumsy" compared to before when I had my CCM Jetspeed FT2's. 

3) Despite being a tailored fit, I find there is quite a lot of room in the toe box which might be lending to the clumsy feeling I'm talking about, but I'm not sure.

4) I personally didn't like the shift holders and runners they came with so I put my XS holders and Step Steel on the skates and it felt much better (yes, I had the stock blades profiled first).

5) The stock footbeds are comfortable, but I switched to Superfeet anyway and this helped me feel more connected to the ice... The stock footbeds almost feel like they have too much cushion or something. I've been using Superfeet forever, so I guess it's just what I am used to.

7) Not really a fan of the stock T-guard tongues. They warped very quickly and I find that they make the skate feel like a ski boot. I just put in an order for the felt replacement tongues, hoping this will make the skates feel overall a little more snug, but less stiff?

Conclusion: It's still very early, but as expected, with each use I'm getting a little more used to them. They are incredibly comfortable, so I would say that seems to be the biggest selling feature so far. I was wondering if anyone else has tried these skates and what you think of them?

Good review. I was actually looking into these as I have the tf customs which I do like but was intrigued at the more flexible cat line. But I don't like how they aren't completely custom like the tf. I'm assuming the cat pro doesn't have a custom arch shape on the bottom of the skate like the tfs do? Only the outside of the shell is formed to your foot scan? Aside from that, what's custom about it? Tongue and being able to have different sizes for each skate? 

I know what you mean about the larger toe box and feeling a bit clumsy. Although I don't and didn't feel clumsy when I first got my tf customs I did notice some added bulk and didn't feel as quick on my feet. 

The comfort is second to none. And the wider toe box is part of it. All retail skates I get rubbing on my forefoot and pinky toe and this doesn't happen with trues. It's basically a compromise of comfort vs quick feet to a certain degree. Some may argue if you're always in pain and in skates you aren't comfortable in, your performance will be hindered. 

What skates did you have before? What issues did you have with those? My advice for people is that if you don't actually need true skates and have no issues with retails stick with retail. I have noticed that once using trues I can't go back to retail bc nothing will feel remotely as comfortable I had Bauer's before my true skates and didn't have pain issues, but once I started using trues it's like my feet became sensitized to fit issues and now I notice every little rub or discomfort and it's hard for me to accept skates feeling this way especially if you're spending 700+ on retail skates. 

A part of me wish I never tried trues so I have more of a selection to try from at the retail level. But another part of me also realizes how retail skates don't really fit most people properly and people just get used to the pain and adapt/form callouses etc. 

Edited by Sniper9

9 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Good review. I was actually looking into these as I have the tf customs which I do like but was intrigued at the more flexible cat line. But I don't like how they aren't completely custom like the tf. I'm assuming the cat pro doesn't have a custom arch shape on the bottom of the skate like the tfs do? Only the outside of the shell is formed to your foot scan? Aside from that, what's custom about it? Tongue and being able to have different sizes for each skate? 

I know what you mean about the larger toe box and feeling a bit clumsy. Although I don't and didn't feel clumsy when I first got my tf customs I did notice some added bulk and didn't feel as quick on my feet. 

The comfort is second to none. And the wider toe box is part of it. All retail skates I get rubbing on my forefoot and pinky toe and this doesn't happen with trues. It's basically a compromise of comfort vs quick feet to a certain degree. Some may argue if you're always in pain and in skates you aren't comfortable in, your performance will be hindered. 

What skates did you have before? What issues did you have with those? My advice for people is that if you don't actually need true skates and have no issues with retails stick with retail. I have noticed that once using trues I can't go back to retail bc nothing will feel remotely as comfortable I had Bauer's before my true skates and didn't have pain issues, but once I started using trues it's like my feet became sensitized to fit issues and now I notice every little rub or discomfort and it's hard for me to accept skates feeling this way especially if you're spending 700+ on retail skates. 

A part of me wish I never tried trues so I have more of a selection to try from at the retail level. But another part of me also realizes how retail skates don't really fit most people properly and people just get used to the pain and adapt/form callouses etc. 

If I recall correctly, I think they choose a footbed shape based on your foot scan and cut it to the shape of the boot as well- similar to Superfeet. But like you said, I don't believe the boot itself has a custom arch. Based on a video on True's YouTube channel, what makes these skates "custom" is how they add/remove foam from different areas of the liner inside the skate to either fill negative space or free up space in the more restricted areas. I will say, they are the most comfortable skates I have ever worn.

I previously had CCM Jetspeed FT2's. I didn't really have any issues with them other than that they became worn out relatively quickly and were falling apart on me. I went with True's purely for the curiosity. I had always been intrigued and decided to finally give them a try. 

This might sound silly, but I think the felt tongue might make a big difference difference for me. I'll report back once I try them.

38 minutes ago, Znqt said:

If I recall correctly, I think they choose a footbed shape based on your foot scan and cut it to the shape of the boot as well- similar to Superfeet. But like you said, I don't believe the boot itself has a custom arch. Based on a video on True's YouTube channel, what makes these skates "custom" is how they add/remove foam from different areas of the liner inside the skate to either fill negative space or free up space in the more restricted areas. I will say, they are the most comfortable skates I have ever worn.

I previously had CCM Jetspeed FT2's. I didn't really have any issues with them other than that they became worn out relatively quickly and were falling apart on me. I went with True's purely for the curiosity. I had always been intrigued and decided to finally give them a try. 

This might sound silly, but I think the felt tongue might make a big difference difference for me. I'll report back once I try them.

I've always gone with the felt tongue with trues. I'm not a fan of any tongue with plastic inserts. Just an fyi the true felt is very thick and plush. But it will break in pretty well. Id throw them in the oven for a few mins to soften them up at the baking temperature of the skates and put them in before you try them on. Otherwise they are very thick and take a few skates to conform. 

I was the same as you. Got them out of curiosity. If you still have your ft2s lying around you should put them on after about 5 skates with the trues. You'll be amazed at how the ft2s ever felt "comfortable" to you. 

Was very excited to ordered a pair of the Catayst Pros (after successes with other clients) and sadly was seriously disappointed in the fit.  Now, I will confess, that I did not inquire as to how "custom" they could do these, thus, when I requested an oversized holder, I had no idea they would automatically upsize the boot and "try" to downsize by packing the toe. They fit like a open toe sandal...Beware.  I can definitely say on the positive side that the quality and build are amazing and eventhough I was immediately going to swap the holder and blade out...finish and alignment was perfect.  This custom program is a fantastic deal for those looking for a semi custom at a remarkable price...just make sure to know the limitations of what can be done...PS sadly have to send them back.

Edited by JBP

1 hour ago, JBP said:

Was very excited to ordered a pair of the Catayst Pros (after successes with other clients) and sadly was seriously disappointed in the fit.  Now, I will confess, that I did not inquire as to how "custom" they could do these, thus, when I requested an oversized holder, I had no idea they would automatically upsize the boot and "try" to downsize by packing the toe. They fit like a open toe sandal...Beware.  I can definitely say on the positive side that the quality and build are amazing and eventhough I was immediately going to swap the holder and blade out...finish and alignment was perfect.  This custom program is a fantastic deal for those looking for a semi custom at a remarkable price...just make sure to know the limitations of what can be done...PS sadly have to send them back.

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing. Can I ask why you requested an oversized holder? Is that just a preference? Never heard of that before!

4 hours ago, JBP said:

You requested an oversized holder even though you were going to switch the holder out anyway?

On 11/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, flip12 said:

You requested an oversized holder even though you were going to switch the holder out anyway?

I wondered this as well. I've read about the packing the toe on customs back when they first took over vh.  Not sure why the even need to do that. Makes no sense unless they were trying to get rid of old shells but that's pretty bad practice. If you need to stuff the toe cap of a skate to reduce the size by more than 1/4, that defeats the purpose of a custom skate. 

Even in this situation where oversized holders were requested. If it isn't possible they should've just said so. There are certain skate sizes that are naturally already at the limit of the holder size. For example I'm a size 7 and a 263mm holder is pretty much as big as I would want without overhang. 

Did you put the same size XS holder on your Cats? Curious if the new Shift Max holes like up with Bauer/CCM holders so less holes need to be drilled 

58 minutes ago, Westside said:

Did you put the same size XS holder on your Cats? Curious if the new Shift Max holes like up with Bauer/CCM holders so less holes need to be drilled 

Shift and Shift Max are symmetrical, unlike the other holders on the market.

1 hour ago, Westside said:

My XS holders are 271's, the Shift Max holders that came with my Cats are 272's. I don't know exactly how the holes line up, but they look and feel really good.

Here's a couple pictures of my XS holders on the True Catalyst pro's: https://imgur.com/a/sw5WqbJ

I gotta say, after playing with these skates a bit more since my first post, I'm starting to really like them. The XS holders on the Cat Pro's feel great, and I also swapped out the footbeds for Superfeet which also made a big difference for me. The difference with the footbeds isn't comfort, it's the fact that with the Superfeet I feel more connected to the ice and my heel feels more locked in. 

Still haven't tried the felt tongues yet, will update again when I do.

Edited by Znqt

2 hours ago, Znqt said:

My XS holders are 271's, the Shift Max holders that came with my Cats are 272's. I don't know exactly how the holes line up, but they look and feel really good.

Here's a couple pictures of my XS holders on the True Catalyst pro's: https://imgur.com/a/sw5WqbJ

I gotta say, after playing with these skates a bit more since my first post, I'm starting to really like them. The XS holders on the Cat Pro's feel great, and I also swapped out the footbeds for Superfeet which also made a big difference for me. The difference with the footbeds isn't comfort, it's the fact that with the Superfeet I feel more connected to the ice and my heel feels more locked in. 

Do you pull the insoles out after every skates? If not you should, the rivets are already starting to rust and they're pretty new

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

Shift and Shift Max are symmetrical, unlike the other holders on the market.

That’s right. Totally forgot about that

6 hours ago, Znqt said:

Looks good! I have essentially the same setup (with felt tongues) with TF9s and really like them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Do you pull the insoles out after every skates? If not you should, the rivets are already starting to rust and they're pretty new

Safe to say I regularly forget to do so, LOL. I gotta be a little more diligent. 

Edited by Znqt

19 hours ago, Znqt said:

They look really good with the XS holder. Just picked up a new set of XS holders with Step steel to slap on my Trues.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:10 PM, JBP said:

Can you still send Trues back ? I think they got rid of that policy. 

I just ordered some Pro Catalysts and I’m worried maybe they won’t fit right and I’ll have to eat a grand because I have a wide ass foot. 

18 hours ago, bonez05 said:

Can you still send Trues back ? I think they got rid of that policy. 

I just ordered some Pro Catalysts and I’m worried maybe they won’t fit right and I’ll have to eat a grand because I have a wide ass foot. 

Their 30 day policy only applies to retail. But for customs they will work with you and the retailer to fix any issues. 

6 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Their 30 day policy only applies to retail. But for customs they will work with you and the retailer to fix any issues. 

Gotcha. So they are expecting to get it 100% right even with the not fully custom boot. Like they wouldn’t do the catalyst pro knowing they can’t get it very close to your foot at least that’s my hope. 

1 hour ago, bonez05 said:

Gotcha. So they are expecting to get it 100% right even with the not fully custom boot. Like they wouldn’t do the catalyst pro knowing they can’t get it very close to your foot at least that’s my hope. 

100% perfect is subjective. Some people are so picky they will never be 100% happy. But I'm sure they are reasonable. In the example of packing the toe, I would expect them to actually remake the one skate to be a proper length. mind you, they might say to have the holder size the consumer wanted, it isn't possible to have a boot that small. 

But they also should r responsible for communicating with the consumer or retailer about these things. So ultimately it's on true to make it right. If your foot scan indicates it's not going to work with the cat shells they should say so and recommend you get the svh. Not sure if this happens but imo it should. 

11 minutes ago, Left Wing King said:

Ok n00b question, what is the difference between these and the TF line?

Catalyst is their new line of skates. Boot more similar to a Bauer I guess. 

catalyst pro is customized by removing / adding foam in the boot and maybe ballooning it out to the shape of the foot

svh is like a TF boot but built by molding it around the shape of your foot. 

5 hours ago, bonez05 said:

Catalyst is their new line of skates. Boot more similar to a Bauer I guess. 

catalyst pro is customized by removing / adding foam in the boot and maybe ballooning it out to the shape of the foot

svh is like a TF boot but built by molding it around the shape of your foot. 

The Catalyst is a more flexible and softer boot as compared to the TF. It is nothing like a Bauer skate. 

• Thanks 1

Well I just went in and got scanned for the cat pros. Well see how they turn out. A bit nervous since anything can happen. I'm coming off the first gen tf customs which I have no complaints about but wanted to try something new as it's been about 3 + years. 

Edited by Sniper9