Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

Bauer Profile Cages - differences

I remember reading about the different Profile cages in various topics but couldn't find where it discussed the differences in profile II cages so here goes:

I've used Profile II cages for a long time, have had probably 6 or 7 over the years, also tried various CCM cages, an FV1 bubble, a Profile III, and a Reakt Ti cage (not to mention the old Jofa bubble cages and Itechs I had in the 90's), but the Profile II has always been my favorite since the large size fits my face the best and I like the shape and how it looks.  In one thread discussing cages someone mentioned they changed the shape somewhere along the line, well I just learned whoever said that was 100% correct.  My guess is somewhere between 2017 and 2022 is when the change occurred (my newest cage had a 2017 sticker and the brand new one I just got has a 2022 sticker and is very different).  The "new" Profile II cage is a little shorter and extends away from the face much more, it's more similar to the Profile III shape, and is more pronounced when the helmet and cage are on, I personally hate it.  The "new" Profile II also has flatter bars similar to the Profile III, the old round ones never bothered me so I don't see any benefit in this.  Compared to the Reakt, the Profile III is a similar shape but a little boxier, the Reakt curves closest to the face but is shorter/smaller than the OG Profile II which has the best combination of curve and size imo. 

Not sure if anyone else cares but I'm a little razy when it comes to some stuff lol, I tried to get some side by side shots for comparison... left to right is OG Profile II, "new" Profile II, Profile III, Reakt Ti:

52945985799_786d391b67_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

OG vs New Profile II:

52945246367_10b1b641c6_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

New one on red 910, OG one on white 910:

52945246362_51ef88471b_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52945246387_e22c6832e6_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

So that's all I have, not much of a question other than observations.  So if anyone has a hook uo on OG Profile II's send them my way lol, I have a new one and a Profile II I'm never going to use (currently going to give the Reakt another try).

• Like 3

I recently acquired a Re-Akt Ti for my Cascade M11 a few months back. Really liking it compared to the original thick bars and heaviness of the M11 cage. I was looking at the newer Profile cages to replace my M11 cage, but I didnt care for the new look of them.

Edited by beedee

Interesting. I used a Profile II before switching to a Reakt and do remember preferring the Profile’s ‘profile’ but the reakt’s weight savings was too much to ignore. Had to move up in size with the reakt so it was long enough on my face and then bent it a bit so it fit my helmet. Patiently waiting for the updated titanium cage Bauer is supposed to be releasing in the Profile shape 

23 hours ago, Westside said:

Patiently waiting for the updated titanium cage Bauer is supposed to be releasing in the Profile shape 

Very soon. Super pumped for it to release in the i2 version (oreo)

Edited by VegasHockey

On 6/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, Westside said:

Interesting. I used a Profile II before switching to a Reakt and do remember preferring the Profile’s ‘profile’ but the reakt’s weight savings was too much to ignore. Had to move up in size with the reakt so it was long enough on my face and then bent it a bit so it fit my helmet. Patiently waiting for the updated titanium cage Bauer is supposed to be releasing in the Profile shape 

2 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Very soon. Super pumped for it to release in the i2 version (oreo)

I'm curious if the new one is actually Titanium or just Titanium colored like the Profile III, the one I have was Titanium colored but is definitely NOT titanium lol, makes sense why the price was the same as the other colors.  Color wise I'm fine with the titanium, the i2 with the white inside, or the silver (which is more grey), I don't care for the all black, that one stands out for me.  Also weight wise, I notice the lightness of the Reakt when I'm holding it but once I put it on and get on the ice I don't notice any difference whatsoever, the difference in weight is so minimal in reality.

Thanks for the breakdown!

My wife has this same problem last(?) summer. She’s been in profile cages for a while and got a new helmet and cage and immediately was like “this isn’t right, do not want,” and we tracked down an older one on sideline swap.   

On the other hand, I’ve used a variety of cages with different helmets and I barely, if ever, notice the difference. I totally believe people when they get all picky about bar shape and face distance, but I just don’t notice it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, start_today said:

On the other hand, I’ve used a variety of cages with different helmets and I barely, if ever, notice the difference. I totally believe people when they get all picky about bar shape and face distance, but I just don’t notice it. 

I'm 100% honest when I say I'm vain and the cage has to pass the mirror test 😂 Also the thing for me, and why I started wearing the Profile II a ways back, was the fit.  In CCM I was between a medium and a large, had to wear a large since the medium was too short but had to flip the top clips and it still just looked massive, with the Profile II the large is the perfect height for me, so when they tweak the shape it always slightly changes the fit and I get super picky. 

1 minute ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I'm 100% honest when I say I'm vain and the cage has to pass the mirror test 😂 Also the thing for me, and why I started wearing the Profile II a ways back, was the fit.  In CCM I was between a medium and a large, had to wear a large since the medium was too short but had to flip the top clips and it still just looked massive, with the Profile II the large is the perfect height for me, so when they tweak the shape it always slightly changes the fit and I get super picky. 

same boat. the OG profile II was very similar in design to the CCM cage but the large in that was akin to perhaps an "extra Medium" of a 580.  I also found w/ the CCM, that if I moved the J clips up higher, the fit was better - but was only a minor remedy.  The Large CCM was just big lobster trap.  The newer Profile II isn't "shaped as cool" as the first iteration, but I still prefer that as my favorite cage. Either one will do.

I am also frustrated by the change to the Profile II. I’ve always used that cage but the one I bought a few months ago has a different shape, as you documented in your post. Looks goofy like the Profile III. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

2023/2024 Bauer Cages, including the new titanium cage:

https://vimeo.com/833381029

Thanks for this, but am I to understand the titanium cage will now be painted? Is there not just a raw finish like the reakt that I don’t have to worry about chipping and looking like shit halfway through the season? 

3 hours ago, Westside said:

Thanks for this, but am I to understand the titanium cage will now be painted? Is there not just a raw finish like the reakt that I don’t have to worry about chipping and looking like shit halfway through the season? 

I was thinking the "3" is the Titanium one which is the lightweight model, looks to be the same shape as the "2" which looks a lot like the current "Profile III" or even the re-shaped "profile II", but then again it's hard to tell when you're not comparing side by side (esp when factoring in cage size, a medium will always look different than a large and I can't tell what sizes they were wearing in the video).  I'm curious to see them in person and compare side by side, until then I did find another OG Profile II for a steal on SLS so at least I'm covered for a while lol.

16 hours ago, Westside said:

The gunmetal version I was able to preview did not look like the current Re-Akt Titanium, which was raw. Indeed, it looked painted or powder coated. 

13 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I was thinking the "3" is the Titanium one which is the lightweight model, looks to be the same shape as the "2" which looks a lot like the current "Profile III" or even the re-shaped "profile II", but then again it's hard to tell when you're not comparing side by side (esp when factoring in cage size, a medium will always look different than a large and I can't tell what sizes they were wearing in the video).  I'm curious to see them in person and compare side by side, until then I did find another OG Profile II for a steal on SLS so at least I'm covered for a while lol.

The shape for the II and III seems the same. 

Edited by VegasHockey

Got the Profile III Titanium today. It's the same shape as the Profile II. Both have been revised for 2023. It comes in a gunmetal color (matte black) and the i2 (oreo) which is pictured below.

Pictures below are a size L cage on a size M Super Tacks X. 

PXL-20230613-233959602.jpg

PXL-20230613-234033613.jpg

PXL-20230613-234048158.jpg

PXL-20230613-234119747.jpg

Edited by VegasHockey
  • Like 2

The new ones actually look different than the facelift Profile II and the existing Profile III, looks like it protrudes further than the OG shape and also comes down lower st the bottom, or maybe the second from bottom horizontal bar is at a different angle and gives that illusion.  I did just get my OG profile II I ordered (for about $30 shipped on SLS), unfortunately it's white and I thought it would be grey, but it has never been used so will be a replacement for whenever one of mine gets too rusty.

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The new ones actually look different than the facelift Profile II and the existing Profile III, looks like it protrudes further than the OG shape and also comes down lower st the bottom, or maybe the second from bottom horizontal bar is at a different angle and gives that illusion.  I did just get my OG profile II I ordered (for about $30 shipped on SLS), unfortunately it's white and I thought it would be grey, but it has never been used so will be a replacement for whenever one of mine gets too rusty.

It almost seems like a blend between the OG Profile II and the previous generation Profile III. I am testing it tonight and will let you know if the new design is good or bad. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

It almost seems like a blend between the OG Profile II and the previous generation Profile III. I am testing it tonight and will let you know if the new design is good or bad. 

Visibility with the cage is good. I don't know if I can say it's better or worse than the previous Re-Akt Titanium, it feels the same, which is good. The cage is light, the i2 coloring provides good visibility. 

My only complaints is the chin cup sits very forward in the cage, and I am not a fan of the chin cup sitting directly on my chin. However, I think I can make some slight modifications to the cage to pull the chin cup closer to the bars. 

Overall, I think the new Profile III Titanium is a good cage. I have no regrets about purchasing it. 

Edited by VegasHockey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Visibility with the cage is good. I don't know if I can say it's better or worse than the previous Re-Akt Titanium, it feels the same, which is good. The cage is light, the i2 coloring provides good visibility. 

My only complaints is the chin cup sits very forward in the cage, and I am not a fan of the chin cup sitting directly on my chin. However, I think I can make some slight modifications to the cage to pull the chin cup closer to the bars. 

Overall, I think the new Profile III Titanium is a good cage. I have no regrets about purchasing it. 

I thought the chin cup looked a little awkwardly placed, I thought it almost looked too high, but also it could be the different bar design in that area that's throwing me off lol

Thanks for the pics. When is it supposed to be released to the masses? I agree the chin cup looks to sit real far away from the cage. Is it made from single density foam or is there a poron insert like the Reakt cage?

12 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I thought the chin cup looked a little awkwardly placed, I thought it almost looked too high, but also it could be the different bar design in that area that's throwing me off lol

I ended up zip tying it closer to the bottom, and it seems to fit better now. Testing it again tonight with the new modifications. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Westside said:

Thanks for the pics. When is it supposed to be released to the masses? I agree the chin cup looks to sit real far away from the cage. Is it made from single density foam or is there a poron insert like the Reakt cage?

End of June is the official release date, but most bigger stores should be getting them now. 

On 6/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, VegasHockey said:

End of June is the official release date, but most bigger stores should be getting them now. 

Can you show us what it looks like now and how you zip tied the chin cup? I’m thinking of popping off the rivets and putting them back in once I find a better spot for the chin cup on the cage.

I personally like the look of the profile ii compared to the flatter 580s, but that's all personal preference. I tried the new Bauer titanium facemask iii , but didn't like how it doesn't wrap the bottom of the chin and leaves that area exposed from a protection standpoint.  Also agree with the poster who said the weight difference is more noticeable in hand than when wearing it. Maybe I'm just used to the old style, but I think I'm going to grab a profile ii while they're marked down.