Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

Stick Syrup? Spray on wax

Anyone ever heard of, or use Stick Syrup?  It's a spray on wax (or wax alternative?).  My teammate had it last game and it caught my attention.... honestly it smelled like maple syrup from across the rink so there was no way to avoid it 😂  Being a maple syrup lover I had to order a can for myself to test it out, should be here soon.  From what I could tell, it's a spray that stays tacky, it's supposed to repel water like wax but give a sticker finish for better puck control.  I normally use Howies wax so I'm curious to see how this compares.  It's a little more expensive than Howies (ok maybe double) but only time will tell how long a can lasts vs a tin of wax.  Once I get the spray and test it out I'll report back.  Also pretty sure they're based in MA not far from Boston so maybe we can get them to come to Summer Jam.

https://sticksyrup.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Anyone ever heard of, or use Stick Syrup?  It's a spray on wax (or wax alternative?).  My teammate had it last game and it caught my attention.... honestly it smelled like maple syrup from across the rink so there was no way to avoid it 😂  Being a maple syrup lover I had to order a can for myself to test it out, should be here soon.  From what I could tell, it's a spray that stays tacky, it's supposed to repel water like wax but give a sticker finish for better puck control.  I normally use Howies wax so I'm curious to see how this compares.  It's a little more expensive than Howies (ok maybe double) but only time will tell how long a can lasts vs a tin of wax.  Once I get the spray and test it out I'll report back.  Also pretty sure they're based in MA not far from Boston so maybe we can get them to come to Summer Jam.

https://sticksyrup.com/

The bolded part could be problematic for pet owners... 

• Haha 1

I’ve used it. One of my leagues got a bunch of it to try, man does the scented version make the whole rink smell of maple syrup, in particular if you have like 30 people applying it 😄    

as far as the products performance goes, it’s hard to tell from just a single usage, but it wasn’t my favorite wax/spray. Some of the guys really liked it however, so like all waxes it’ll likely be a matter of preference 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stewie said:

I’ve used it. One of my leagues got a bunch of it to try, man does the scented version make the whole rink smell of maple syrup, in particular if you have like 30 people applying it 😄    

as far as the products performance goes, it’s hard to tell from just a single usage, but it wasn’t my favorite wax/spray. Some of the guys really liked it however, so like all waxes it’ll likely be a matter of preference 

Just wondering what do you like better? 

16 hours ago, Monty22 said:

The bolded part could be problematic for pet owners... 

As a person with 2 mini Australian Shepherds who seem to shed 4x their body weight every single day, I know I'll be in for it 🤣 I don't bring my sticks indoors, they stay in the garage, but as any pet owner knows, their fur goes wherever it pleases.

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Does this prevent snow buildup or is this strictly just for tackiness. 

It claims to repel ice build up.  I got my shipment today and have a game tonight so I'll give my sticks a fresh tape job and try this stuff out./

17 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

It's a little more expensive than Howies (ok maybe double)

Checking their website, I expected this to have less value, but I did some math, and it seems this might actually be a better deal than a puck of solid wax. A 75g puck of wax cost $7. A 233g bottle of this stuff is $17, which is more than three pucks worth of solid wax.

10 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Checking their website, I expected this to have less value, but I did some math, and it seems this might actually be a better deal than a puck of solid wax. A 75g puck of wax cost $7. A 233g bottle of this stuff is $17, which is more than three pucks worth of solid wax.

Assuming it works. 

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

The site had them for $11.99/ea, I picked up a two pack which was slightly discounted at $20.99 (figured get my shipping cost's worth lol).  Shipping was Priority and wasn't terrible, no additional handling charges or anything.  Oddly enough, the "unscented" option was $3 more than the maple syrup one, I found that kind of strange, maybe they just didn't produce as much and their cost was more.

1 hour ago, VegasHockey said:

Assuming it works. 

The age old question lol, I have high hopes since at the very least I know it'll make things smell better haha

40 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The site had them for $11.99/ea, I picked up a two pack which was slightly discounted at $20.99 (figured get my shipping cost's worth lol).  Shipping was Priority and wasn't terrible, no additional handling charges or anything.  Oddly enough, the "unscented" option was $3 more than the maple syrup one, I found that kind of strange, maybe they just didn't produce as much and their cost was more.

The age old question lol, I have high hopes since at the very least I know it'll make things smell better haha

What site had them for 11.99? 

4 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

As a person with 2 mini Australian Shepherds who seem to shed 4x their body weight every single day, I know I'll be in for it 🤣 I don't bring my sticks indoors, they stay in the garage, but as any pet owner knows, their fur goes wherever it pleases.

It claims to repel ice build up.  I got my shipment today and have a game tonight so I'll give my sticks a fresh tape job and try this stuff out./

Hmmm I messaged them on ig and they didn't answer the stopping the buildup of snow but said it does NOT prevent the tape from getting wet but stays tacky.... I'll wait for the reviews on here since the only reason I use wax is to repel snow /ice and to prevent the tape from getting wet. 

24 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Hmmm I messaged them on ig and they didn't answer the stopping the buildup of snow but said it does NOT prevent the tape from getting wet but stays tacky.... I'll wait for the reviews on here since the only reason I use wax is to repel snow /ice and to prevent the tape from getting wet. 

if it helps, here's what the can says:

"Non-Drying, inherently tacky aerosol engineered for ice hockey.  Increase grip on the puck while repelling ice build up"

I'll let you know how it does tonight.  My friend who had it last game said it helped with her snow on the blade, we do play in some pretty terrible rinks and the snow build up get pretty bad by the 2nd period, by the third you'd need a heated blade to keep it off completely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

if it helps, here's what the can says:

"Non-Drying, inherently tacky aerosol engineered for ice hockey.  Increase grip on the puck while repelling ice build up"

I'll let you know how it does tonight.  My friend who had it last game said it helped with her snow on the blade, we do play in some pretty terrible rinks and the snow build up get pretty bad by the 2nd period, by the third you'd need a heated blade to keep it off completely.

Interesting. Kinda reminds me of the spray you can use for baseball that stays tacky. 

https://www.rawlings.com/product/BGS.html

ok, used it last night....

C7YaD19U0AAA_Gu.jpg

So, it was easy to apply, anyone who has spray painted anything will know what to do, takes a few seconds.  It does give a shiny wet looking finish to the blade where there's no tape (I use white tape on the last 1/3 of the toe, might make black tape shiny too?).  Does definitely smell like maple syrup which, as we all found out, gets old FAST... we were in a huge locker room and it smelled real strong, like way too strong, can't imagine how it would be in a typical tiny locker room.  Performance wise... personally, I didn't care for it, I felt like the puck was sliding off my stick a lot more than usual.  I let a teammate use it as well and he was saying the same thing.  As for the snow build up, it did seem to prevent snow from sticking as much as normal wax, it would fall off with a quick wave/smack of the blade against the boards where as with wax I'd have to wipe with a glove and would sometimes have some ice build up.  I'm thinking the snow/ice preventative characteristics may have played a part in the negative puck grip since it was almost creating a more wet outer surface while keeping the actual tape dry (just a theory).  So one game was enough for me to make my decision, I'm going back to classic Howies wax.  Now I need to find out how to get this all off my blade, I'm thinking maybe some rubbing alcohol since they say sanitizer w/ alcohol is the best way to get it off your hands. 

2 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

C7YaD19U0AAA_Gu.jpg

So, it was easy to apply, anyone who has spray painted anything will know what to do, takes a few seconds.  It does give a shiny wet looking finish to the blade where there's no tape (I use white tape on the last 1/3 of the toe, might make black tape shiny too?).  Does definitely smell like maple syrup which, as we all found out, gets old FAST... we were in a huge locker room and it smelled real strong, like way too strong, can't imagine how it would be in a typical tiny locker room.  Performance wise... personally, I didn't care for it, I felt like the puck was sliding off my stick a lot more than usual.  I let a teammate use it as well and he was saying the same thing.  As for the snow build up, it did seem to prevent snow from sticking as much as normal wax, it would fall off with a quick wave/smack of the blade against the boards where as with wax I'd have to wipe with a glove and would sometimes have some ice build up.  I'm thinking the snow/ice preventative characteristics may have played a part in the negative puck grip since it was almost creating a more wet outer surface while keeping the actual tape dry (just a theory).  So one game was enough for me to make my decision, I'm going back to classic Howies wax.  Now I need to find out how to get this all off my blade, I'm thinking maybe some rubbing alcohol since they say sanitizer w/ alcohol is the best way to get it off your hands. 

Rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits should work. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits should work. 

I used goof off since it was in the garage and was the first thing I saw, it did the trick.  Unfortunately I also noticed I cracked the blade on my favorite stick last night 👎 back of the blade almost top to bottom, I went for a rebound and had 2 sticks on my blade as I tried with all my might to get a shot off, guess my blade took the worst of that.  Now off to find another LX Pro with a P90TM curve, needle in a haystack lol, if anyone has any Tyson Jost pro stocks laying around hit me up lol

On 6/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, VegasHockey said:

Just wondering what do you like better? 

My favorite wax is glo sauce but I think it’s no longer in production and I’m almost out. 

12 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

C7YaD19U0AAA_Gu.jpg

I feel your experience was similar to mine. 

• Like 1

Tried the spray during a game last night and feel my experience echos the others. Definitely kept snow off the blade the entire game, but that’s about all the positives I can say about it.

That being said, I did have an off game after a 3 week break so that could also have something to do with it. I’ll leave the spray on the stick for the next game and see if my mind changes 

• Like 1