Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Anti-fog for RecSpecs?

I have a pair and have not been using them because they fog at the beginning of the second period...like clockwork. Tried the liquid they provided and it's worthless. Tried dish soap...no luck.  Any ideas? I really need to nut up and get used to taking out my contacts, but my initial experience was a disaster and the thought of getting home from a game at 1 AM and clawing at them doesn't appeal. Thoughts? 

You could try mask defog or sea drops anti fog or anything else made for a dive mask, check amazon.

I'm surprised the dish wash didn't work, I've been using this for years with no hassles. You have to buff "lightly", after buffing it off if you get the light just right you should see a film of oil on your glasses, it's this film of oil that stops the fogging. If you buff too hard and take the oil off then it won't work. 

• Like 1

I started wearing contacts as an adult in my 30s. Originally I wouldn’t wear them to play. 
I started to, but would have to give myself 30 minutes before the game to get them in, and I had a whole set up with towels over everything so they wouldn’t fall in the sink or on the floor. Same with coming home, but it wasn’t as bad. And, I legit had some tantrums and big frustrations that made me feel like a little kid. It’s weird to poke your eyeball, and the whole process is just sorta hard to do until you get the feel.  

After a few weeks, i got better at it and better at it and it became such a non-thing. So, this is me just encouraging you to re-try contacts, and allow yourself the embarrassment of sucking at putting them in and taking them out for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vet88 said:

You could try mask defog or sea drops anti fog or anything else made for a dive mask, check amazon.

I'm surprised the dish wash didn't work, I've been using this for years with no hassles. You have to buff "lightly", after buffing it off if you get the light just right you should see a film of oil on your glasses, it's this film of oil that stops the fogging. If you buff too hard and take the oil off then it won't work. 

Sea Drops are amazing. 

I’d second re-trying the contacts.  I began wearing them as a kid and it changed my vision both on and off the ice.

However, barring that, before contacts I had a pair of goggles (not rec specs) that weren’t enclosed on the sides like rec specs are.  Essentially the front of them sat on the bridge of the nose like normal glasses and then there were plastic d-rings that linked back to a strap around the head. So it was basically glasses without side stems, plus the strap.  I found those never fogged because of the extra ventilation, whereas the rec specs of the day (we’re talking early 90s) ALWAYS fogged.  I tried to find a picture of them online but couldn’t. 

I struggled with contacts at first too. I remember fighting with one for almost a half hour one night. It can be frustrating at first. Stick with it. It gets much easier once you get the hang of it. 

Edited by stick9

Howdy,

I used to wear (regular) glasses and found that diluted dish soap worked best.  As someone above said, when you're cleaning it off, use a light touch.  if you get it all off, there's no film there to stop the fog.

I wear contacts now when playing.  I want to say that it took me maybe a couple weeks to get used to prodding at my eyeball and its for sure super frustrating.  But after that "get used to it" time period, its a non-event.  And contacts are roughly 900 million times better than playing in glasses, even if the fogging is under control.

My only remaining vision issue is that I'm old enough now to need progressive lenses, but since I only wear contacts when playing I cheap out and get away with single vision contacts.  That means that I can't see well within my arm's length or so.  I mitigate that with a pair of cheaters in the rare cases when I need to see my phone with the contacts in.  It also means that when I ref I'm back to wearing glasses, because you sometimes need to sign forms, run a clock, etc.  That's not quite as bad though, since you're rarely going all out as a ref.

Mark

I'm the same...progressive but contacts are distance only. I am gonna try to force myself to get used to using them😖😬🤣🥅🇨🇦🏒😎Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1

I guess I’m lucky in that contacts were always super easy for me with no real learning curve, but it was also my only option to keep playing after I broke the safety rec spec style glasses that I was using for a bit while playing, slicing my nose a bit.